PDA

View Full Version : Goblin archer riding a dire bat

Morrison
2020-09-03, 09:58 AM
I had an idea for a goblin archer PC riding on a dire bat, raining death on his enemies and I'm just wondering if there's any RAW way to get a dire bat mount or what the nearest equivalent would be.

Aett_Thorn
2020-09-03, 10:13 AM
I don't think that there is a RAW way to do this. While the CR is okay for a Beastmaster Ranger, the Giant Bat is size Large, which is out of scope for the Beastmaster. I know of no other way to get such a true companion by RAW, without using spells like Animal Friendship and Beast Speech a lot.

However, the Pteranodon IS technically viable for the Beastmaster Ranger. So using that as a template, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that you have a bat with roughly the same stats. If the DM is willing, you could give it more of the bat's senses while lowering speed or damage a bit.

Hruken
2020-09-03, 10:15 AM
Beast Master Ranger gets you close. So, giant bats are too large for a ranger's animal companion, but pteranodons fit, and can be ridden by goblins.

You might be able to convince your DM to let you take a giant bat as a Find Greater Steed. It would be less powerful than the other options, so I'd allow it, or even encourage some refluffing of one of the base options.

And finally, there is always the option of finding/buying/taming a giant bat as a companion, unlinked to class/spells.

nickl_2000
2020-09-03, 10:20 AM
A Ranger get's access to the Beast Bond and Animal Friendship spells starting at level 2, which could be done without becoming a beastmaster. This would leave you open to take whatever Ranger you like.

Combine that with the animal handling skill, which is on the ranger list. Also, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to have a favored enemy beasts which allows you to communicate with the bat (RAW it wouldn't work since the Giant Bat doesn't have a language, but I don't see it being a problem if you limit it to one beast type). The major issue would be replacing it when it dies.

Morrison
2020-09-03, 10:20 AM
Isn't Beast Master really weak and underpowered, though?

Hruken
2020-09-03, 10:23 AM
Isn't Beast Master really weak and underpowered, though?

Generally, yes. But a flying archer is one of the ways that makes it not too bad to play.

nickl_2000
2020-09-03, 10:25 AM
Another good way would be to go bard. You get speaking with animals as a ritual at level 1 and animal friendship on the list. That alone would cover it pretty well. Take the animal handling skill at level 1 and expertise it at level 3 and you should be all set.

Valor Bard will give you a pretty effective ranged archer and you can use magical secrets to get summon (greater) steed and ranger arrow spells.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-09-03, 11:05 AM
I can second the pteranodon as an excellent RAW alternative. I've seen it in play and the players that used it, loved it. Just watch out for dragons.