PDA

View Full Version : Cost to kill a wolf

Gnaeus
2020-09-03, 11:47 AM
So, my character really hates wolves. Involved backstory thing with a werewolf pack, adult situation/child abuse, with in play complications. He wants to put out a bounty for fresh wolf pelts. Basically he wants every hunter in this ciry in ravenloft to drop what he’s doing and kill a couple of wolves. What would be the appropriate bounty? Would 10gp/pelt do it? 25? 50?

Ruethgar
2020-09-03, 12:25 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide p40, common pelts are 1-5g. Unusual 6-10, rare 11-20, exotic 21-50, monstrous 51-200+. I would say wolves are at most an unusual pelt, but probably common assuming they are native to the area.

So every hunter dropping everything for wolf pelts, 10g if they are common, 20g if unusual would probably do it.

Vaern
2020-09-04, 07:27 PM
Considering most commoner NPCs are living on copper and silver, offering a bounty of 1-2 gold per pelt is probably enough motivation for a bunch of townsfolk to round up a posse and hunt down a pack once in a while. Wolves tend to be a fairly common encounter for low level parties in the wilderness so I wouldn't say they're worth anything more than the "common" price range that Ruethgar quoted. If you're trying to completely exterminate the species from the area, though, offering a bounty on the high end of the next tier up (uncommon, 10g) should get the job done pretty quickly.

LadyIslay
2020-09-05, 03:49 AM
5 gp. That's the equivanent of five weeks of work for the average commoner. If the character has money to spare, 10 gp should create a huge amount of interest. Of course, it also has the potential to create an ecological disaster in the area if wolves are the top-tier predator. In a few years, you'll have farmers coming after you because the place is overrun with deer and dire rats. :smile:

Maat Mons
2020-09-05, 04:09 PM
Less than it costs to rear a wolf to adulthood. No, really. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect)

And say goodbye to any breed of dog that could plausibly be mistaken for a wolf.

GrayDeath
2020-09-05, 04:18 PM
Depends.

Is the area very foresty, and the forest the only are where wolves are?

Then not much, just provide a few pyromaniacs with materials to enjoy their pasttime.

But dont come back and complain that the forest is gone, mate! ^^

Also, since its Ravenloft: Forget it. Not happeneing, cause that might reduce the realm-prescribed Darkness and Danger. :smallcool:

Jervis
2020-09-06, 01:54 AM
Between 1-10 depending on the relative rarity. Though if i were the DM and wanted to stop this id make it the treasure value of 1 CR one monster, 300 GP in this case, per pelt. The NPCs need to keep up with wealth by level too after all. :smallsmile:

Jervis
2020-09-06, 02:04 AM
Between 1-10 depending on the relative rarity. Though if i were the DM and wanted to stop this id make it the treasure value of 1 CR one monster, 300 GP in this case, per pelt. The NPCs need to keep up with wealth by level too after all. :smallsmile: