PDA

View Full Version : A Monster i made a while back when i was about to DM for the first time

Blazeteck
2020-09-03, 07:43 PM
I ended up making a monster a while back for my first ever try at DMing and never got to use it. I was trying to make something that had a bit of depth to it while still being somewhat simple. It was intended to be a door guardian for a long since abandoned dwarven/gnomish workshop that was going to bring faerun into the steam age but something happened before they could really show the world what they had accomplished. (essentially it was going to house a steam engine that could be fitted to a sailing or air ship that the players could take.)

For the monster i tried to make a small mechanic to work with based off of the steam theme of the workshop he protected. the only thing is that looking back at it now im not really sure how well that really would have played out. id imagine that the fight would need to be long to really show that the mechanic even exists. a lot of the time when you got one big boss players will surprise you and take it out in 2 rounds.

well anyway, here it is. Tell me if you think it could make for a memorable encounter. To me it honestly comes off like a World of Warcraft boss fight in a dungeon.

Big Benny (Steam Powered Automaton)

Hit Dice: 11d10+50 (110hp)
Size: Large
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40ft.
AC: 21 (+12 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 17
Attacks: 2 slams +13 melee (+8bab +6str -1size)
Damage: 2d8+6
Reach: 10ft.

Special attacks: Back-mounted Rotating Arcane Discharger, Focused Steam
Discharge

Special Qualities: DR 10/magic and bludgeoning, Cold Resistance 5
Fire Resistance 5, Overheat

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2

Abilities: Str 22, Dex 10, Con ~, Int ~, Wis 9, Cha 4

Back-mounted Rotating Arcane Discharger (B.R.A.D.): Once during Big Benny’s turn he can use this attack as a free action. You may choose between one of three magic wands stored within B.R.A.D. and expend a charge from that wand to cast the spell stored inside. The DM may choose which 3 wands to prepare before the fight.

Focused Steam Discharge: As a full round action Big Benny can shoot steam from his right arm in a 20 ft. cone in front of him dealing 4d6 fire damage. Any player caught in the cone can attempt a reflex save of 21 to receive half damage. This attack lowers Big Benny’s steam count by 2. This attack cannot be used with less than a steam count of 3.

Overheat: Big Benny builds up steam pressure inside himself after each attack action. This steam pressure is measured as a steam count which the DM keeps track of. If the steam count reaches 5 Big Benny overheats at the end of that round and will be stunned during his next turn as he is forced to ventilate excess heat.