PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warcaster or Shield Master for Spartan?

Citadel97501
2020-09-03, 08:41 PM
Hello all, I am working out a spartan style (Spear & Shield) artificer (20 levels with no multi-class) who will be using Polearm Master, and other well matched feats, and I was wondering which you would suggest. I am specifically not taking Sentinel, it is great but it and PAM bug my DM. I will be including the pro's and cons as I see them.

Warcaster:
This is really good with a high elf, as your able to use Booming Blade off of your Attacks of Opportunity. It is less needed for Artificers though as they are already able to use a shield and weapon while casting as long as one of them is infused, and as I won't be taking a lot of Concentration spells due to being in the thick of fighting.

Shield Master:
This fits the idea of control elements through pushing to retrigger PAM attacks of opportunity, the bonus to reflex saves either through Evasion IE "Save for nothing", or a reflex save bonus if your the only target seems very good. It should also be noted as the enhancement bonus is added to that bonus so this will provide a lot more than just +2. Really this seems fine to me, but the need for more strength for Athletics skill pushes makes it difficult.

JackPhoenix
2020-09-03, 09:29 PM
I'd go with Warcaster. With BB, it can somewhat compensate for the lack of Sentinel, between the advantage and Con proficiency, you CAN use concentration spells even in the middle of battle, and you can infuse already magical weapons and shields, so it'll keep working even when you get better gear.

SM is great, but between PAM and your subclass ability, you already have us for your bonus action, and the other benefits are more situational.