PDA

View Full Version : Optimization level 7 Tortle Strength Ranger Hunter Dual wielder

Tussin
2020-09-03, 11:00 PM
i am looking for advice/suggestions to improve what i am planning

i'm not looking for an ultimate min-max, but just looking for useful synergy between now and level 10-11

i'm also more interested in consistency overall than big burst damage, being a little more tanky is good for me too!

Level 3 Ranger/Hunter

Horde Breaker. Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you can make another attack with the same weapon against a different creature that is within 5 feet of the original target and within range of your weapon.

(if i am dual wielding do both hands count for a weapon attack on this feature?)

Monk/Kensei

Martial Arts
When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn.

if i pick my kensei weapon as rapier and i make a weapon attack, does it trigger horde breaker and martial arts? i attack my target and another creature in range, then bonus action one unarmed strike? just to one target?

Claws. Your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

I may use Rapiers in each hand with this feat

Dual Wielder Feat

You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

i am thinking of dipping into Barb 1 or 2 levels?

Rage
In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.

While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:

You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a +2 bonus to the damage roll. This bonus increases as you level.
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

i was looking into the interaction between Barbarian and Tortle's racial? what is the priority? would it cancel eachother if i was in shell defense mode?

Danger Sense
At 2nd level, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren't as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger. You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can't be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.

Shell Defense. You can withdraw into your shell as an action. Until you emerge, you gain a +4 bonus to AC, and you have advantage on Strength and Constitution saving throws. While in your shell, you are prone, your speed is 0 and can't increase, you have disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, you can't take reactions, and the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell.

Reckless Attack
Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.

Sneak Attack
Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

i also feel i want to take Fighter to level 3 or higher as battlemaster, i like disarming attack/feinting attack/riposte/sweeping attack

Feinting Attack. You can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action on your turn to feint, choosing one creature within 5 feet of you as your target. You have advantage on your next attack roll this turn against that creature. If that attack hits, add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.
The advantage is lost if not used on the turn you gain it.

Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Sweeping Attack. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to damage another creature with the same attack. Choose another creature within 5 feet of the original target and within your reach. If the original attack roll would hit the second creature, it takes damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die. The damage is of the same type dealt by the original attack.

would any of these synergize well with monk? rogue? ranger?

Christew
2020-09-03, 11:41 PM
Horde Breaker.
(if i am dual wielding do both hands count for a weapon attack on this feature?)
Your off-hand attack is made using your bonus action after you have taken the attack action. Horde Breaker trigger once on your turn when you attack. Dual Wielding would not have an effect on Horde Breaker.

Martial Arts
if i pick my kensei weapon as rapier and i make a weapon attack, does it trigger horde breaker and martial arts? i attack my target and another creature in range, then bonus action one unarmed strike? just to one target?
A Kensei weapon attack would trigger both Horde Breaker (if there is an eligible target in range) and Martial Arts. Note that the bonus action attack granted by Martial Arts would compete with the bonus action attack granted by Dual Wielding.

i am thinking of dipping into Barb 1 or 2 levels?
Maybe? You have a whole lot of classes and abilities in this thread. General rule of thumb in 5e is to have a main class with a possible secondary class. The more dips you take the more ASIs and high level abilities you sacrifice.

Rage
i was looking into the interaction between Barbarian and Tortle's racial? what is the priority? would it cancel eachother if i was in shell defense mode?
Not entirely clear what you are asking here. Regarding Armor Class calculations do not stack, but bonuses do. So as a Tortle Barbarian you could use the AC calculation from your class or your race. If you Withdraw into your shell you gain +4 AC on top of whichever AC calculation you chose. Danger Sense would negate the disadvantage to DEX saves if it is a spell or trap and you can see it. Advantage plus disadvantage equals normal roll.

would any of these synergize well with monk? rogue? ranger?
Monk really doesn't play well with others because of its reliance on ki (which is attached to Monk level). Rogue likewise doesn't play well with others because of its reliance on sneak attack (which is attached to Rogue level). Ranger is mechanically lacking in general for much beyond archery, but can be fun.

I would pick a class to focus on and take it to level 5 before doing anything else. The kind of class layering you are suggesting is rarely worth the opportunity cost of just levelling in a single class (barring sufficient system mastery or a particular concept that you are trying to achieve).

Tussin
2020-09-04, 01:35 AM
Thank you for the help!

i am slightly leaning to fighter or ranger to 5 first, then thinking of what off class would complement my dual wielding potency afterwards

Christew
2020-09-04, 09:19 AM
My pleasure. Unfortunately, the game just doesn't support two weapon fighting as well as it does great weapon fighting. GWM and PAM will outdistance TWF and DW increasingly after level 5.

On hit effects like Hex or Hunter's Mark will help on damage, but will also compete for your bonus action. Paradoxically, pushing fighter to gain the additional extra attacks is the best way to improve your two weapon attack routine (it just would still be more optimized not to dual wield). There is basically no way for your off hand to do more than 1d8 (weapon) + 1d6 (Hex or Mark) + Stat (TWF) which only remains worth your bonus action if you gain no other options for it.