PDA

View Full Version : Mother cyst DC | Necromancy [Evil]

Dragondust
2020-09-04, 06:29 AM
Hey guys iam planning on a character focusing on those spells from the Mother cyst feat.
My character is going to be a necromancer focusing on De-,buffs and minions. For this iam going to try to effect as many npcs with the "necrotic cyst" spell as possible and even other highlevel PC's.
Here is what i got so far:

Saving throw for those spells: 10+spell's level+ChaMod[5]+Feats [3]

- Malign spell focus: +1 DC
- Spell focus: +1 DC
- Greater Spell focus: +1 DC
- Heighten Spell: increasing spell level

This makes the save dc for the "Necrotic cyst" spell without increasing its spell level DC 20.

Can i increase it with items and maybe other feats? iam pretty new to this game and need some help because DC 21 isnt that high or? I mean when u have a good D20 its easy.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Troacctid
2020-09-04, 06:34 AM
Sickening Grasp feat—any living enemy you hit with a melee touch attack is automatically sickened, which, among other things, imposes a -2 penalty to all saves. YMMV as to whether this applies before or after making the save against the touch spell you're casting on them, but either way, it's pretty nice, and it even gives you +1 caster level for necromancy spells to boot.

Arcane Disciple does not affect your save DCs, by the way.

Dragondust
2020-09-04, 06:40 AM
Sickening Grasp feat—any living enemy you hit with a melee touch attack is automatically sickened, which, among other things, imposes a -2 penalty to all saves. YMMV as to whether this applies before or after making the save against the touch spell you're casting on them, but either way, it's pretty nice, and it even gives you +1 caster level for necromancy spells to boot.

Arcane Disciple does not affect your save DCs, by the way.

yes youre right my bad

Doctor Despair
2020-09-04, 08:26 AM
Sickening Grasp could make it tough to secretly use the spell, however, which could be important at low levels.

Also, check out my sig for some Necromancer resources. I'm working on an excel sheet for 3.5 undead, but it's going to be a long-term project, I'm afraid.

Anthrowhale
2020-09-04, 10:32 AM
Red Wizard allows you to heighten to 20 at ECL 10.

A cleric could use Divine Metamagic[Heighten] to spike the save DC on one spell/day.

ShurikVch
2020-09-04, 02:24 PM
Feats:
Lore of the Ur‐Flan (Dragon #315) - +2 DC for evil necromancy spells
Hellsworn (Exemplars of Evil), Brimstone Caress - +1 CL for [evil] spells, and (1/encounter) allow to add +1 DC; Warning: this feat binds your soul to the Nine Hells - you can't be revived without Wish or Miracle, and may be vulnerable to various banishment effects

Items:
Barbs of Retribution (Magic Item Compendium): 1/day, by sacrificing - as Immediate action - arcane spell (or hp, if your PC is Dragonblood) you can force an enemy, who just succeed on their saving throw, to re-roll the result with a penalty (half of sacrificed spell's level, or -1 per 5 hp - up to 25 hp)
Greater Weapon Crystal of Arcane Steel (Magic Item Compendium): +1 DC when delivering a spell via melee attack
Might Stone (Dragon #356): invest in it a spontaneous spell known (temporary removing from your list), and may get +2 DC for spells of the same school; usable times per day equal to the invested spell's level
Oil of the Lamia (Book of Vile Darkness): applied to a magic item, increases DC by +2, if target is of Good alignment; lasts for 1 hour
Panaeolo (Lords of Darkness): magical drug - +2 DC on all spells for 1d4 hours
Rings of the Spider (Dragon #318): any drow wearing it gainsa +1 bonus to the DC of any enchantment, evocation, or necromancy spells that he casts

Additional material components (Book of Vile Darkness):
Soul in Larval Form - +2 DC
Metallic Dragon Heart - 30% chance for +1 DC

liquidformat
2020-09-04, 02:41 PM
From Left Field I will suggest taking Fiendbinder PRC, it benefits greatly Mother Cyst and its list of spells. Great way to get a little army of demons and devils at your beck and call!

Anthrowhale
2020-09-04, 03:55 PM
Another good tool is nonlethal damage. If you add just a bit in combat, then most opponents will end up helpless rather than dead providing ample opportunity for minion-making.

Segev
2020-09-04, 04:01 PM
If you're willing to prepare with some little undead urchins hanging around you, surrounding yourself with Slaymates while you prepare your spells will let you apply metamagic with -1 to the spell level increase per Slaymate within 10 feet of you, thanks to their Pale Aura. With 7 of them, you can Heighten it to 9th level while still casting out of a 2nd-level spell slot.