PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk culture/gods

daggaz
2007-11-01, 09:06 AM
well, the goblin thread got me thinking, maybe there was some good info on lizardmen out there as well. My players are just about to make contact with a tribe of lizardmen, who will be playing a significant roll in the early stages of the campaign, at least. So far, I have been improvising pretty much everything on the go (way too busy to actually stat things out and plan more than one or two encounters into a session), and its been working out fine. But if there is some info, would be nice, maybe give me some ideas or guidelines to follow, at least.

So far all I have got is the entry in the MM, basically neutral with druid leaders, very primitive societies, dont like humans named dundee or irwin. Its enough to play by, but I suppose I am a bit interested in what kind of god their druids might worship, if any at all. Being reptilian in nature, I can also see a certain connection to dragons..

CharlieRock
2007-11-01, 09:31 AM
The Slayer's Guide to Lizardfolk (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/d20/detail.php?qsID=351&qsSeries=10) :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-01, 09:35 AM
I found something: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lizardfolk_Culture_%28Paludia_Supplement%29 .

SoD
2007-11-01, 09:36 AM
The MM says that the patron deity of Lizardfolk is Semuanya, whose cheif concern is the survival and propogation of its charges. Basically, a lizard god of running away and having sex.

daggaz
2007-11-01, 09:44 AM
LOL SoD,...heh...

thanks guys. You know, I feel embarassed I missed the gods name in the MM.

Edit: WOW! That wiki site is just chock full of information. I just bookmarked a DnD bible.

Prometheus
2007-11-01, 02:54 PM
In my opinion Lizardfolk can be either of the swamp or desert variety, perhaps there could be vast cultural difference between them

I think a very creative form of warfare featured in one campaign was swamp Lizardfolk who threw hornet's nests at intruders. Obviously, Lizardfolk's scaly skin makes them impervious, but it is perfect for neutralizing casters while the Lizardfolk take the terrain advantage against the melee combatantly.

MrNexx
2007-11-01, 03:24 PM
In my opinion Lizardfolk can be either of the swamp or desert variety, perhaps there could be vast cultural difference between them

I think a very creative form of warfare featured in one campaign was swamp Lizardfolk who threw hornet's nests at intruders. Obviously, Lizardfolk's scaly skin makes them impervious, but it is perfect for neutralizing casters while the Lizardfolk take the terrain advantage against the melee combatantly.

Actually, it's variation on a siege technique from the middle ages. Beehives used to be huge, dried-clay barrels... to get the honey, you smoked the hive, broke the barrel, and took it. Well, during a siege, the beehives wouldn't be taken inside, so what they'd do is smoke the hive, load them on a catapult, and wait for the bees to wake up... then shoot the catapult.

Beehive shrapnel + loads of angry bees = unhappy defenders.

However, I will again point to Monster Mythology. Given WotC's allowances for monstrous PCs in 3.x, I'm surprised that book didn't get redone.