PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk's Tradition: Way of the Flying Tortoise

Old Harry MTX
2020-09-04, 07:18 AM
Hello there! I'm working on a monk tradition focused on the use of shields. I started trying to give monks proficiency in shields and ended up with a whole martial art, Captain America style.

MONK'S TRADITION: WAY OF THE FLYING TORTOISE

This one simply gives you shields proficency and allow you to use it as a monk weapon.

Shield Mastery: When you choose this tradition at 3rd level you gain proficency in shields, and wielding a shield no longer prevents you to benefit from features that otherwise you could not be able to use, such as Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts or Unarmored Movement. Also shields are now monk weapons for you, dealing bludgeoning damage equal to your martial arts die and with properties finesse, thrown (range 30/90) and versatile. For the versatile property consider a die 1 tier higher than the martial arts die you can use for your level.

Similar to Weapon Bond, but the recall mechanic comes very useful when you throw the shield. Also the bonding is used in another possible feature.

Shield Bond: At 3rd level, you also learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and one shield. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The shield must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch the shield and forge the bond.

Once you have bonded a shield to yourself, you can't be disarmed of that shield unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that shield as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.

You can have up to two bonded shields, but can summon only one at a time with your bonus action. If you attempt to bond with a third shield, you must break the bond with one of the other two.

Just a shield-focused Fighting Style.

Fighting Style: Finally at 3rd Level, you adopt the following style of fighting as your specialty. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Protection: When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

One of the core mechanics. Once used you can choose to give up your shield until your next turn or spend your Bonus Action to recall it with Shield Bond.

Rebound Strike: When you reach 6th level, using an Attack Action, you can make a single thrown attack with your shield to attempt a Rebound Strike. If it succeed, and again after each successful attack, you can choose another creature located within shield's range of the previous target and perform another ranged attack against it. The chain of attacks is broken on the first failure. You can automatically summon your shield back in your hand at the end of your turn.

Indomitable Shell: Also from 6th level, each time you use your Protection Fighting Style, the creature that is the target of the attack gets +2 to AC until the beginning of your next turn.

A standard upgrade plus a way to be effective when you don't have too much opponents. For the first part there are two versions.

Improved Rebound Strike: Once you've reached 11th level, the first failed attack of a Rebound Strike no longer break the chain of attacks.

Bulwark Fall: Also starting at 11th level, you can spend 1 ki point at the beginning of your turn to resonate the shield you are wielding with mystical energies. Each attack made with that shield until the beginning of your next turn deals 1 additional damage die.

I like this one a lot, and I think it could be perfect for a shield-focused character.

Mystical Entanglement: From 17th level you learn to combine your bonded shields toghether, so that wielding one grants you the effects of both.

For exemple if you bond a Sentinel Shield and a Spellguard Shield you can just hold one of them and get advantage on initiative rolls, Wisdom (Perception) checks, Saving Throws against Spells and other magical Effects, and also spell attacks have disadvantage against you. In the same way bonding a Shield of Missile Attraction and a Shield +1 is the same of wield a Shield of Missile Attraction +1. If at least one of them requires attunement, you will have to attune with the one you decide to wield, even if it normally does not require it.

Finally, a big-but-costly damage increaser at high level.

Superior Rebound Strike: Also starting at 17th level, from the second failed attack of a Rebound Strike, you can spend a certain number of ki points to continue the chain. Each failure costs 1 point more than the previous one, starting from 1.

Below just a repository of old versions...

Rebound Strike: When you reach 6th level you can use an action and make a thrown attack with a shield to attempt a Rebound Strike. If it succeed, and again after each successful attack, you can choose another creature located within shield's range of the previous target and perform another ranged attack against it. The chain of attacks is broken on the first failure, and you can't target a creature that's been hit less than two rebounds before. You can automatically summon your shield back in your hand at the beginning of your next turn, if you haven't already recalled it back.

Improved Rebound Strike: Once you've reached 11th level, if you fail the initial attack roll of a Rebound Strike, you can spend 1 ki point and continue the chain.

Also, if you are within shield's range after a hit you can choose yourself as the new target. If you do, you automatically succeed the attack roll without taking any damage, and you can continue the chain.

Elves
2020-09-04, 05:38 PM
This name only has one problem (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fantendo/images/e/e5/ParatroopaNSMBU.png/revision/latest?cb=20121126000704)

Old Harry MTX
2020-09-04, 05:46 PM
This name only has one problem (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fantendo/images/e/e5/ParatroopaNSMBU.png/revision/latest?cb=20121126000704)

Hahaha, any suggestion?

Old Harry MTX
2020-09-07, 04:19 AM
UPDATE:
Changed Improved Rebound Strike. Now you need to spend 1 ki point to continue the chain if you fail the initial attack roll.
Removed Extended Protection at 11th level.
Moved Mystical Entanglement to 17th level.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-09-07, 04:52 PM
Pardon the brevity:

1. As frontliners, Monk AC is bad. Compare to every other frontliner and it's 2 behind. Compounded by smaller HD. Don't worry about an AC bump from Shield. Consider at 1st level any fighter/paladin/barbarian will have superior AC, damage, and comparable mobility. That doesn't change until ~5th, but Fighting styles, smites, or rage will still pull them all ahead on damage and AC will still be better. Monks are bad. They get a lot of cool abilities, but they get them on average 2 levels after a wizard has been doing it with a spell. If your special schtick is "saves wizard a spell slot" it's not a good schtick. So Monks could take a ton of buffing and still be mid tier.

2. Move the Protection Fighting Style to 3rd.

3. For 6th level Add
Adamantine Tortoise Technique. When you use the Protection Fighting Style as a reaction, the targeted creature gains the Shield's AC bonus until the beginning of your next turn.
and
Flying Turtle Dance. Once per turn, when you throw your shield as an attack you can spend 1 ki on a hit to make another attack roll against a different target within 30 feet. If the second attack hits, the shield returns to you. ((This makes it a gamble but potentially brings # of attacks in line with fighters and offers a boost over norm for Readied actions.))

4. Bulwark Fall should be 1 ki to make all attacks with Shield do additional damage equal to Martial Arts die until beginning of your next turn. As is Wisdom might be +2 or +3 for most of career. If you make it MA die, it will scale regularly from the get go and be boosted by critical hits.

5. Mystic Entanglement is dependent on DM largesse with magic items. That makes it lower value for other tables. If you want something like this I'd go with the following to eliminate that issue:

Shield Soul Manifestation. At 17th level you unlock the innermost mysteries of the defensive arts. As an action you can spend 1 or more Ki to enhance a shield you bear. The Ki cost is listed in the enhancement description. Nonmagical shields become magical and are considered attuned for the duration. Unless otherwise specified, these enhancements last for 1 hour. Using another manifestation ends any previous manifestation.
Gazing Mirror. 1 Ki. The shield appears as a massive eye with a reflective iris. While you have this shield attuned you gain advantage on perception checks. You can use your reaction to reflect the effect of a Gaze attack like those of the Nothic or Medusa. This enhancement lasts for 8 hours.
Hell's Gate. 4 Ki. The shield appears as the closed and barred portcullis of the 9 Hells. While you have this shield attuned you gain resistance to Fire, Cold, and Poison damage. When you use your Flurry of Blows feature you can instead allow the Gate to open, allowing the hands of malevolent fiends to pour out and claw at your foes' souls. Each of your Flurry attacks has a reach of 15 ft and deals Fire and Necrotic damage.
Divine Divide. 2 Ki. The shield appears as the interposing left hand of a god. While you have this shield attuned you gain resistance to Necrotic and Radiant damage. While attuned, you can use your reaction to spend 2 Ki and to perform mudras the shield will mimic that can annihilate mortal incantations. This duplicates the effect of counterspell.
Nihil. 8 Ki. The Shield appears as a ring of perfect silver with an inky void of blackness within. When you take the dodge action, creatures that miss you with melee attacks must succeed on a dexterity saving throw vs your Ki DC or suffer 4d10 force damage. Creatures that fail the save by 5 or more also lose any non artifact weapon or limb to the void. This enhancement lasts 1 minute.
Inviolable Rampart. 4 Ki. The Shield disappears and manifests as a massive spectral shield that hangs over an area or is duplicated numerous times to form a wall. This duplicates the effects of Wall of Force including durations, range, and concentration requirement.

I think that covers a lot of magic shield bases. Alternatively you could just make a list like the artificer for enchantments. I'd avoid +X bonuses since DMs that don't like magic items tend to dislike those # boosts most of all.

If you liked any of what I posted here, I'd be willing to put it all together on Homebrewery, make some Art for it, and post it to DM's guild. You can DM me about % split if interested.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-09-07, 04:53 PM
Hahaha, any suggestion?

I was totally think if this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/bf/da/a5bfda2184146b5d1d29c59fc4e7ac04.jpg) at first.

Old Harry MTX
2020-09-08, 07:44 AM
Wow wow wow! You wrote a lot! Thank you very much for helping!

Pardon the brevity:

1. As frontliners, Monk AC is bad. Compare to every other frontliner and it's 2 behind. Compounded by smaller HD. Don't worry about an AC bump from Shield. Consider at 1st level any fighter/paladin/barbarian will have superior AC, damage, and comparable mobility. That doesn't change until ~5th, but Fighting styles, smites, or rage will still pull them all ahead on damage and AC will still be better. Monks are bad. They get a lot of cool abilities, but they get them on average 2 levels after a wizard has been doing it with a spell. If your special schtick is "saves wizard a spell slot" it's not a good schtick. So Monks could take a ton of buffing and still be mid tier.

Perfect, so I have no qualms about giving shield proficiency.

2. Move the Protection Fighting Style to 3rd.

Consider it done.

3. For 6th level Add
Adamantine Tortoise Technique. When you use the Protection Fighting Style as a reaction, the targeted creature gains the Shield's AC bonus until the beginning of your next turn.

Nice. I had also thought of something like "From 6th level you can use your Protection Fighting Style even if you don't have a reaction, spending a certain number of ki points. Each use of this feature costs 1 point more than the previous, starting from 1."

and
Flying Turtle Dance. Once per turn, when you throw your shield as an attack you can spend 1 ki on a hit to make another attack roll against a different target within 30 feet. If the second attack hits, the shield returns to you. ((This makes it a gamble but potentially brings # of attacks in line with fighters and offers a boost over norm for Readied actions.))

Mmm, this is basically the same as Rebound Strike, but with a cost in ki ponts... Maybe i can change Rebound Strike adding something like "You can freely summon your shield back in your hand at the beginning of your next turn, or as soon as the Rebound Strike ends by spending 1 ki point"?

4. Bulwark Fall should be 1 ki to make all attacks with Shield do additional damage equal to Martial Arts die until beginning of your next turn. As is Wisdom might be +2 or +3 for most of career. If you make it MA die, it will scale regularly from the get go and be boosted by critical hits.

So you mean all attacks including the thrown ones?

I think i will change the properties given to shields at 1st level in something like "Also shields are now monk weapons for you, dealing bludgeoning damage equal to your Martial Arts die and with properties finesse, thrown (range 30/90) and versatile. For the versatile property consider a die 1 tier higher than the Martial Arts die you can use for your level." and then i will change Bulwark Fall to deal a second damage die.

5. Mystic Entanglement is dependent on DM largesse with magic items. That makes it lower value for other tables. If you want something like this I'd go with the following to eliminate that issue:

Shield Soul Manifestation. At 17th level you unlock the innermost mysteries of the defensive arts. As an action you can spend 1 or more Ki to enhance a shield you bear. The Ki cost is listed in the enhancement description. Nonmagical shields become magical and are considered attuned for the duration. Unless otherwise specified, these enhancements last for 1 hour. Using another manifestation ends any previous manifestation.
Gazing Mirror. 1 Ki. The shield appears as a massive eye with a reflective iris. While you have this shield attuned you gain advantage on perception checks. You can use your reaction to reflect the effect of a Gaze attack like those of the Nothic or Medusa. This enhancement lasts for 8 hours.
Hell's Gate. 4 Ki. The shield appears as the closed and barred portcullis of the 9 Hells. While you have this shield attuned you gain resistance to Fire, Cold, and Poison damage. When you use your Flurry of Blows feature you can instead allow the Gate to open, allowing the hands of malevolent fiends to pour out and claw at your foes' souls. Each of your Flurry attacks has a reach of 15 ft and deals Fire and Necrotic damage.
Divine Divide. 2 Ki. The shield appears as the interposing left hand of a god. While you have this shield attuned you gain resistance to Necrotic and Radiant damage. While attuned, you can use your reaction to spend 2 Ki and to perform mudras the shield will mimic that can annihilate mortal incantations. This duplicates the effect of counterspell.
Nihil. 8 Ki. The Shield appears as a ring of perfect silver with an inky void of blackness within. When you take the dodge action, creatures that miss you with melee attacks must succeed on a dexterity saving throw vs your Ki DC or suffer 4d10 force damage. Creatures that fail the save by 5 or more also lose any non artifact weapon or limb to the void. This enhancement lasts 1 minute.
Inviolable Rampart. 4 Ki. The Shield disappears and manifests as a massive spectral shield that hangs over an area or is duplicated numerous times to form a wall. This duplicates the effects of Wall of Force including durations, range, and concentration requirement.

I think that covers a lot of magic shield bases. Alternatively you could just make a list like the artificer for enchantments.

They are all very cool ideas, and I will certainly keep them for possible future work, but in this specific case i've got some problems:
It seems a bit late to introduce all these possibilities at 17th level. The good thing about Mystic Entanglement is that one can "collect" magical shields right away, even as legendary weapons of the Way of the Flying Tortoise, and only eventually learn how to combine them. Also, I wouldn't mind if the player had an incentive to actively seek magic shields, it's all flavour-wise.
I would like to give as much a Martial and non-Magical imprint to this sub-class, introducing spell-like-abilities only if strictly necessary, as for Shield Bond. I would almost prefer to take inspiration from the fighter's maneuvers, or even introducing something like the old 3.5 Weapon of Legacy system, with the shield that level up with the character, but i would prefer to remain on easy things.

I'd avoid +X bonuses since DMs that don't like magic items tend to dislike those # boosts most of all.

You are right, but consider that this class also uses shields as weapons, so a +1 shield increases both the bonus to hit roll and the damage, which is necessary for the effectiveness of the subclass. If a DM does not like this bonus we can think of a variant, maybe appliyng the bonus ONLY to attack rolls and damage and not to AC.

If you liked any of what I posted here, I'd be willing to put it all together on Homebrewery, make some Art for it, and post it to DM's guild. You can DM me about % split if interested.

Oh, I don't follow glory or anything else, if this idea has inspired you feel free to do it yourself with the changes you think are most appropriate. ^^

I was totally think if this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/bf/da/a5bfda2184146b5d1d29c59fc4e7ac04.jpg) at first.

Perfection (https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/900/704.jpg)

Old Harry MTX
2020-09-10, 01:51 AM
UPDATE:

Moved Fighting Style to 3rd level.
Changed Shield Mastery. Now the shield damage is equal to your martial arts die, and the versatile one is 1 tier higher.
Added Indomitable Shell to 6th level. Now Protection Fighting Style gives also +2 to the ally's AC.
Changed Bulwark Fall. Now you can spend 1 ki point at the beginning of your turn to inflict 1 additional martial arts die at each successfull attack made with a shield for a turn.
Changed Rebound Strike. It is now specified that you use an Attack Action, allowing you to perform an additional unarmed attack or a Flurry of Blows as a Bonus Action. Also you no longer have limits on which creature to target, and the shield automatically comes back in your hand at the end of your turn.
Changed Improved Rebound Strike. Now it affect the first failed attack roll, and not only the initial. Also no longer require 1 ki point. Removed the possibility to target you.
Various fix.