PDA

View Full Version : Play by post advice

AttilatheYeon
2020-09-05, 04:31 AM
Hi guys,

I'm about to start playing in a play by post game a friend is going to be running on a site called Mythweavers. I've never done play by post except the couple of chess games.

What should i expect? What can i do to make it go better?

Thanks

Bobthewizard
2020-09-05, 06:31 AM
Hi guys,

I'm about to start playing in a play by post game a friend is going to be running on a site called Mythweavers. I've never done play by post except the couple of chess games.

What should i expect? What can i do to make it go better?

Thanks

I like play by post since it fits my schedule better than a weekly live game. I also enjoy writing more than acting. I play in a lot of games here and on MW. Here's my advice.

1. Try harder to have your character get along with the others. Difficult personality characters are hard to pull off in pbp.
2. Write brief but thorough descriptions for each post. You don't want a novel, but you want more than just, "I attack." You have time to write up your post, so take advantage of that and include what your character sees, what they are thinking, and a couple descriptive lines about what they are doing.
3. Think of it as improv. If the other players do something, try to go along with it, even if it wasn't your first choice. It takes too long to debate strategies so try to just go with what others suggest. Try to do more "Yes, and" posts than "Yes, but" ones.
4. Be flexible. If the DM rules something that you don't agree with, pause and decide if it's really worth slowing the game down to discuss it.
4. Pictures help. Find a picture for your character and put it in your posts. Copy other people's formats to get started.
5. Be patient. Even a fast posting game will only have you post 3-4 times per week. It takes time for 4-6 players to respond to a DM post. My way to deal with this is to play in multiple games.

Hope you have fun. Hopefully we can play together someday. Feel free to message me here or on MW (same name) if you have a questions later on.

AttilatheYeon
2020-09-05, 07:04 AM
I like play by post since it fits my schedule better than a weekly live game. I also enjoy writing more than acting. I play in a lot of games here and on MW. Here's my advice.

1. Try harder to have your character get along with the others. Difficult personality characters are hard to pull off in pbp.
2. Write brief but thorough descriptions for each post. You don't want a novel, but you want more than just, "I attack." You have time to write up your post, so take advantage of that and include what your character sees, what they are thinking, and a couple descriptive lines about what they are doing.
3. Think of it as improv. If the other players do something, try to go along with it, even if it wasn't your first choice. It takes too long to debate strategies so try to just go with what others suggest. Try to do more "Yes, and" posts than "Yes, but" ones.
4. Be flexible. If the DM rules something that you don't agree with, pause and decide if it's really worth slowing the game down to discuss it.
4. Pictures help. Find a picture for your character and put it in your posts. Copy other people's formats to get started.
5. Be patient. Even a fast posting game will only have you post 3-4 times per week. It takes time for 4-6 players to respond to a DM post. My way to deal with this is to play in multiple games.

Hope you have fun. Hopefully we can play together someday. Feel free to message me here or on MW (same name) if you have a questions later on.

Thanks for the advice. This helps. I have 3 characters loaded in the AL section. Hopefully we get a chance to play together. I'm Attilatheyeon.

follacchioso
2020-09-07, 03:28 AM
One suggestion is to be conscious of your time, because PbP can quickly occupy your mind full time if you are not careful.

I play on discord, and I had to remove the app from my phone, because the notifications were popping up constantly and distracting me irl.

AttilatheYeon
2020-09-07, 04:15 AM
One suggestion is to be conscious of your time, because PbP can quickly occupy your mind full time if you are not careful.

I play on discord, and I had to remove the app from my phone, because the notifications were popping up constantly and distracting me irl.

Yeah Discord is pretty horrible that way. This wont be on discord so i should be ok.