PDA

View Full Version : Best build for a Simulacrum support.

Clistenes
2020-09-06, 03:50 AM
Let say your level 16-20 character can, thanks to True Polymorph and Wish shenanigans, create any 16 level build as a Simulacrum under your control, but only once (an Archmage or a Genie owes you or whatever...).

So you basically have a loyal cohort with half hp, who can't heal save for a Ring pf Regeneration or similar, and who can't regain spell slots.

Which do you think would be the most useful build? (I am thinking mostly of out of combat support, but it would be nice for it to be able to defend itself...).

Bobthewizard
2020-09-06, 07:05 AM
I think my top 2 would be

Moon Druid for 2 elementals per short rest

Warlock focusing on EB for consistent damage and control. So 2-3 of agonizing blast, repelling blast, lance of lethargy and grasp of Hadar. Pick your favorite level 14 feature. Some of the spell-like invocations for more versatility - misty visions, mask of many faces, whispers of the grave, shroud of shadow, visions of distant realms. Maybe tomb of Levistus for defense. Pact of the tome is probably best for all the rituals but I do love an invisible Imp familiar.

Talionis
2020-09-06, 09:13 AM
My thought was leaving the Simulacrum to rule in my stead and through a mix of Contingency, Sending, Gate and other spells be a loyal way to retrieve me if something bad happens.

HappyDaze
2020-09-06, 09:21 AM
First, figure out who is going to let you put your hands on them for a full 12 hours.

Going with abilities that recharge (i.e., not Spell Slots) can be a real winner, especially if they also give hit points. This means Wild Shape is pretty awesome.

However, for pure out-of-combat support, a Changeling (Eberron) spy-type can be great for information gathering and entertainment.

Clistenes
2020-09-06, 10:00 AM
First, figure out who is going to let you put your hands on them for a full 12 hours.

The assumption is that the Simulacrum isn't based in a real creature, but it can be an original build.

I think my top 2 would be

Moon Druid for 2 elementals per short rest

Warlock focusing on EB for consistent damage and control. So 2-3 of agonizing blast, repelling blast, lance of lethargy and grasp of Hadar. Pick your favorite level 14 feature. Some of the spell-like invocations for more versatility - misty visions, mask of many faces, whispers of the grave, shroud of shadow, visions of distant realms. Maybe tomb of Levistus for defense. Pact of the tome is probably best for all the rituals but I do love an invisible Imp familiar.

The Tomelock seems the most versatile as support...

I guess Rogue 1 ( for 4 skills, expertise and Thieves' Tools) plus Tomelock 15 with Rituals and Eldritch Blast invocations seems to offer most versatility... And high Charisma and Find Familiar (as ritual) are nice additions...