PDA

View Full Version : Damage type question

DevilMcam
2020-09-06, 06:35 AM
Hi playground.

I am once again seeking your help with a strange rule question.

Let's assume I am playing a level 11 paladin with 10 DEX and 10 STR using a longsword.
If I hit with a weapon attack I deal 1d8 Slashing + 1d8 Radiant damage to my target.

Now if that same paladin has a 20 STR modifier, an attack would deal 1d8(S)+1d8(R)+5 damages.
Do I get to pick what damage type that +5 from strength is (assuming I am fighting BPS immune or radiant vulnerable monsters).

would the same apply to spells like divine favor or elemental weapon?

Any quote or reference to relevent rules is welcome.

Keltest
2020-09-06, 06:44 AM
Youre adding your ability modifier to the damage of the weapon. It will follow whatever damage type the weapon does. The effect of your smite, or of any enchantments or abilities on the weapon, are added on top of that.

From the 'Damage Rolls" section of the combat rules.

When attacking with a weapon, you add your ability modifier—the same modifier used for the Attack roll—to the damage. A spell tells you which dice to roll for damage and whether to add any modifiers.

mealar
2020-09-06, 06:47 AM
i had a quick look and can't find it explicitly saying which type, closest is "You roll the damage die, add any modifiers, and apply the damage" on page 196

but i would say in 100% of circumstances the damage is decided by the feature that deals it, so your +5 Dmg comes from the weapon using your strength mod, as it's the weapon attack that gives it then the dmg is the same type as the weapon i.e. slashing

the radiant damage comes from a different feature, divine smite. although you need to make a weapon attack to trigger it, the actual feature it comes from is different. Same with spells like elemental weapon, base damage remains the same and only the 1d4 is elemental as specifically said in the spell

Chronos
2020-09-06, 06:57 AM
That said, weapon damage isn't always piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning. A torch used as a weapon deals fire damage, for instance, a sunblade does radiant, and a shadow blade does psychic.