PDA

View Full Version : Demon lord plot

dededo11
2020-09-06, 11:50 AM
I have an idea for an evil plan for a demon lord to undertake and would like to know what you guys think of it.

The idea is, the demon lord would use a piece of the shard of Evil that Tharizdun used to create the Abyss to make a massive portal to his layer of the Abyss on the material plane. This portal would grow in power over time and eventually draw the campaign world into the demon lord's layer of the Abyss.

What do you guys think. Is this a plausible plot for a demon lord to undertake?

1Pirate
2020-09-06, 12:11 PM
Sure. Might have some interesting hooks with tying it to the Blood War.

Unoriginal
2020-09-06, 02:00 PM
I have an idea for an evil plan for a demon lord to undertake and would like to know what you guys think of it.

The idea is, the demon lord would use a piece of the shard of Evil that Tharizdun used to create the Abyss to make a massive portal to his layer of the Abyss on the material plane. This portal would grow in power over time and eventually draw the campaign world into the demon lord's layer of the Abyss.

Sure, Demon Princes try to invade worlds on the Material Plane all the time, it's perfectly logical one of them would go "you know what? Let's try doing the contrary and drag the mortals to us this time".

Have to point out that "Tharizdun created the Abyss" isn't the standard lore in 5e, though. Doesn't mean anything for anyone's personal settings, of course, but just saying if you're searching more info on that you won't find them in 5e.

My only question is: does the Demon Price wants to gain something specific from stealing a world from the Material Plane? Or are they just doing it due to a whim?

dededo11
2020-09-06, 02:32 PM
Sure, Demon Princes try to invade worlds on the Material Plane all the time, it's perfectly logical one of them would go "you know what? Let's try doing the contrary and drag the mortals to us this time".

Have to point out that "Tharizdun created the Abyss" isn't the standard lore in 5e, though. Doesn't mean anything for anyone's personal settings, of course, but just saying if you're searching more info on that you won't find them in 5e.

My only question is: does the Demon Price wants to gain something specific from stealing a world from the Material Plane? Or are they just doing it due to a whim?

The demon lord, in question, Demogorgon in this case, has had his ambitions thwarted by mortals before. Therefore, being the paranoid nutjob he is, he sees mortals as a threat that need to be exterminated before they kill him.

jjordan
2020-09-06, 05:05 PM

I think it's plausible and it's a major current in one of my settings where an infernal prince, 'The Purple Lord', has established a cult on the material plane that openly seeks to draw the material plane into the infernal realm of existence. The Church of Discipline is committed to non-violent, open expansion. They are staunch defenders of law and order, which makes them acceptable to more than a few rulers, and actively seek out and oppose the forces of chaos. They are a tight-knit community who render assistance to fellow members and act to advance the goals of their members. The church provides genuine value in return for the contributions the members make.

They also have a confessional process run by psychics who 'help' members back to the correct path. They construct prayer wheels powered by wind, water, and human effort which help make geographic areas more conducive to infernal creatures (a kind of taint effect). They don't consider that forgiveness holds much water but are right in line with atonement. They've got the best lawyers on the material plane. They actively work towards bringing more of their master's servants to the material plan and send significant sacrifices, many of them sapient creatures, back.

There's no 'Locate the McGuffin and do it all at once' effort in my setting, but that makes perfect D&D sense, so why not?