PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Hunter's Harvest: Balancing a Feature for a Ranger-Equivalent

wayfare
2020-09-06, 01:47 PM
Hello All:

I'm taking another crack at a hero that is a master of the wilds. This is heavily inspired by the ranger, but with more of a focus on preparation, acting fast, and getting the drop on your enemies. I'm completely doing a way with Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer type features and instead building a class that can harvest reagents from the land to produce effects. Here is my first attempt at a defining feature for this class:

Hunter's Harvest
Starting at 1st level, you have learned to imbue foraged materials with a bit of primal energy to aid you on your adventures. As a bonus action, you can use these ingredients to produce the following effects:

Produce a healing salve that remains stable for 1 hour. When applied as an action to a wound, the target recovers (1d8) hp. You restore an additional 1d8 hp with this salve each time your proficiency bonus increases.

Produce a dose of acidic, slightly luminous compound that remains stable for 1 hour. When applied to a weapon, the next successful hit inflicts an additional (1d8) acid damage, and you have advantage on checks to track the creature for 1 hour or until it takes an action to clean off the acid. You inflict an additional 1d8 damage with this acid each time your proficiency bonus increases.

Produce a disorienting bomb or powder that remains stable for 1 hour. As an action the bomb can be thrown up to 30 feet. Targets in a 10 foot radius must make a Dexterity save (DC 8 + Wisdom Modifier + proficiency bonus) or be blinded until the end of their next turn.

You can use this ability twice. You regain all uses on a short rest.

JNAProductions
2020-09-06, 01:54 PM
The bomb DC is way out of whack.

Otherwise, I don’t see anything really out of hand.

wayfare
2020-09-06, 02:05 PM
The bomb DC is way out of whack.

Otherwise, I don’t see anything really out of hand.

Oh wow, thanks for catching, should be prof!

Do you think these abilities will remain useful through mid and high levels?