PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gatekeeper Initiate

Thurbane
2020-09-06, 05:05 PM
I've been looking at the Impure Prince PrC, and the Gatekeeper Initiate feat which is a req.

Say I took this feat as a Beguiler (which would probably require the Arcane Disciple feat to qualify) - is there any way for me to benefit from or access the 9 spells that it lists, as a Beguiler?

Q 697

Question about Beguilers, Gatekeeper Initiate Feat, and Domain Staffs.

The Gatekeeper Initiate feat says:

In addition, you can cast the following spells as if they were on the druid spell list at the indicated level.

Say a Beguiler takes this feat, and has a Domain Staff containing one or more of the spells listed in the Gatekeeper Initiate feat. Can he use his spell slots to cast those spells from the staff?

By expending a prepared divine spell or divine spell slot, the wielder can "cast" a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaff’s list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder’s divine class spell list (including his domain lists, if any).

Q 697B

If no, would using the Southern Magician feat allow this to work?

A 697
No. The Gatekeeper Initiate feat provides that you may cast those spells as if they were on the druid spell list at the indicated level. The spells are not actually added to the druid list. A domain staff only permits a spell to be cast "as long as that spell also appears on the wielder’s divine class spell list (including his domain lists, if any)." The spells do not appear on the wielder's divine class spell list and accordingly you can't cast them from a domain staff.

A 697B
No, for the same reasons as 697. The problem is that Gatekeeper Initiate only allows you to cast spells as if they were on the druid spell list, it does not add them to the list.

It seems I need some kind of "virtual Druid spell slots", and I'm not sure how to do that without multi-classing.

Cheers - T

Troacctid
2020-09-06, 05:19 PM
You don't need Gatekeeper Initiate; you can qualify with favored enemy (aberrations), which may be a little easier to get. (Foe Hunter feat, for example, or ask your DM if Aberration Banemagic counts.)

Thurbane
2020-09-06, 05:26 PM
You don't need Gatekeeper Initiate; you can qualify with favored enemy (aberrations), which may be a little easier to get. (Foe Hunter feat, for example, or ask your DM if Aberration Banemagic counts.)

True, but 9 "extra spells" for a feat is pretty great, if I can somehow access them.

Also, just noticed Foe Hunter (PGtF version) doesn't include aberrations in the enemies you can select from, so you'd need to take the Extra Favored Enemy feat as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-06, 11:40 PM
The whole, "as if they were on the Druid spell list" part is where it's at. You would need something that gives your Beguiler casting the ability to cast spells from the Druid spell list in general. Then you can cast those as though they were on the Druid spell list, because you can cast any spells from the Druid spell list.

You may as well just UMD a custom runestaff to get access to any spells you want from any class spell list in the game.

Endarire
2020-09-07, 04:25 PM
This seems like an "Ask your GM" moment to let Gatekeeper Initiate's spells work on non-Druid spell lists.

Thurbane
2020-09-07, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I was pretty convinced there wasn't a RAW solution. Oh well.

As a side note, would be a decent feat to expand the Spirit Shaman's spell list?

Falontani
2020-09-08, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I was pretty convinced there wasn't a RAW solution. Oh well.

As a side note, would be a decent feat to expand the Spirit Shaman's spell list?

Gatekeeper Initiate? ^_-

but no seriously, since they prepare spells (with or without metamagics added) from the druid spell list, literally anything that works for druid will probably work with spirit shaman. Contemplative works, and I personally enjoy Sovereign Speaker. If you are in Eberron (Gatekeeper Initiate) then you can easily play a Shifter Spirit Shaman with a focus on worshiping all facets of the world. If your good then easily just worship the Sovereign Host sovereigns and respect the Dark Six, if your neutral then argue to your DM that you should be able to worship the whole of the Sovereign Host, both the good and bad (since the Dark Six are part of the same pantheon), and finally if your evil you could argue that you should be able to worship the Dark Six (akin to just worshiping the Sovereign Host), although I doubt you would respect the Sovereign Host at this point. It would be much more akin to contempt I'd expect.

Best part is that Moonspeaker is a prestige class you can look at with a Spirit Shaman without feeling so bad for losing access to progression on Wild Shape or Animal Companion.