PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Grave Domain in CoS

Lalophobia
2020-09-07, 04:43 AM
Hey Guys,

i am currently building a new Char for Curse of Strahd. It's my third campaign ever (Phandalver and Waterdeep) and i am planning on playing a cleric. I was reading in multiple forums etc. and thought, maybe i just give the question a go myself: i am unsure whether to play a grave or light cleric. I love the theme of the grave cleric but friends suggested, that light would come in more handy damagewise in CoS. What do you guys think?
Furthermore i was wondering: the grave domain centers more or less about necrotic damage. Is that damagetype useless in CoS because of vampires and undead creatures?

Thanks for your answers :)
Joana

jaappleton
2020-09-07, 08:18 AM
Hey Guys,

i am currently building a new Char for Curse of Strahd. It's my third campaign ever (Phandalver and Waterdeep) and i am planning on playing a cleric. I was reading in multiple forums etc. and thought, maybe i just give the question a go myself: i am unsure whether to play a grave or light cleric. I love the theme of the grave cleric but friends suggested, that light would come in more handy damagewise in CoS. What do you guys think?
Furthermore i was wondering: the grave domain centers more or less about necrotic damage. Is that damagetype useless in CoS because of vampires and undead creatures?

Thanks for your answers :)
Joana

So I played through CoS myself. I also own the adventure (DM ran my copy).

I’ll say this: Light is deceptive about its features. Radiance of the Dawn says it creates Sunlight. Seems like a very attractive feature to have for an adventure themed around Vampires, right? Unfortunately, not to get too Meta, but it’s useless. The Radiant damage is cool, for sure, especially since it’s ally-friendly. However, the key part of Sunlight when it comes to D&D Vampires is that they have to start their turn in Sunlight. Unfortunately, Radiance of the Dawn lasts only for that action, and as a result, does nothing but radiant damage.

Not to say Light is a bad domain here. It’s a solid Domain, and honestly one of my personal favorites. Who doesn’t enjoy the ability to wear medium armor and a shield while tossing out Fireballs?

Grave’s ability to see Undead relies on their being no walls or such between them. So.... Vampires are smart, they’re not mindless zombies. So while a nice ability, I wouldn’t rely on it.

Grave’s channel divinity of being able to inflict Vulnerability takes your action, but pairs very nicely if you have a Paladin, GWM Barbarian, or Rogue in the party.

Grave’s ability to maximize healing is also amazing, as well as its ability to negate crits. Remember that your allies fight just as effectively with 1HP as they do with 22HP. Spare the Dying being a bonus action with a 30’ range could, and quite likely it will be, the difference between a party member living and dying.

And don’t forget the generic ability all Clerics have; Turn Undead is such a spectacular ability for this module. Remember that denying enemies actions can be more effective than dealing damage to them.

I would personally recommend Grave here.

If any party members are considering going Paladin, try to push them toward Devotion if they’re in the fence about what Oath to take. The ability to negate Charms is quite handy....

Sincerely,
A Barbarian player that was charmed for three entire sessions and certainly isn’t whatsoever bitter about it at all.

Chronos
2020-09-07, 08:29 AM
Also note that vampires specifically are resistant to necrotic damage, but to most undead, it's just another damage type. Resistance or immunity to necrotic is a thing, but it's not a very common thing. Though, yeah, radiant damage is a bit better, especially vs. vampires and a few other undead.

LtPowers
2020-09-07, 08:33 AM

That seems to be a misconception about the Grave domain. True, two of its domain spells deal necrotic damage (blight and vampiric touch) but that's it as far as necrotic damage goes. None of the subclass features involves any specific damage type.

Powers &8^]

jaappleton
2020-09-07, 08:42 AM
Also note that vampires specifically are resistant to necrotic damage, but to most undead, it's just another damage type. Resistance or immunity to necrotic is a thing, but it's not a very common thing. Though, yeah, radiant damage is a bit better, especially vs. vampires and a few other undead.

Well.... I mean, that depends.

Yes, vampires are resistant to Necrotic, but the simple cantrip Chill Touch prevents them from regenerating.

Clerics has better options than Chill Touch, of course, but I’m saying some spells have riders which outweigh the damage type, given the situation.

Remember, OP, you’re still a Cleric. You have much more at your disposal than your Domain spells.

AttilatheYeon
2020-09-07, 09:40 AM
There's also more to CoS then vampires.

Lalophobia
2020-09-07, 12:24 PM
Guys, thank you very much! I was not lost, but in need of some help so to say :D I never played the cleric (started off with a monk and now it's time to say goodbye) and wanted to play something i really dig. And the theme of the grave-domain did. Now i am convinced i can rock that class and maybe survive CoS ;) And i have a paladin in my group, so i hope we will be fine.

i may not deal huge amount of damage to everyone, but with a few spells then and now i can get things done (or boost someone who can). Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Keravath
2020-09-08, 08:27 PM
I have a grave cleric in my group in CoS right now and he is doing pretty well.

1) The ability to negate crits has come in handy. Last night they negated a crit that was doing 60+ damage, knocked it down to 25 which was then halved by the raging barbarian. So it is an ability that definitely comes in handy as does the max healing on characters at zero hit points.

2) The player in my game has gone all in on the necrotic aspect of the class. This has resulted in a couple of combats where they couldn't do much to some of the opponents. However, in those cases they used other spells very effectively. I would suggest picking up both Sacred Flame and Toll the Dead rather than just Toll the Dead so that you have the option to do radiant damage.

3) Since clerics can prepare spells you always have Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians available as options if you want to do more damage. Walking into a melee and dodging with Spirit Guardians running can be very effective even if you don't swing a weapon.

4) In the last combat, the grave cleric finished off one of the module mini-bosses with a well timed blight spell (which the target failed and ended up taking something like 48 damage).

So, if you like the feel, a grave cleric is a viable choice in CoS. (The only suggestion I would have is to make sure you've got at least one cantrip that can do something other than necrotic for the occasional resistant/immune target).

SociopathFriend
2020-09-09, 01:11 AM
I would personally recommend Grave here.

If any party members are considering going Paladin, try to push them toward Devotion if they’re in the fence about what Oath to take. The ability to negate Charms is quite handy....

Sincerely,
A Barbarian player that was charmed for three entire sessions and certainly isn’t whatsoever bitter about it at all.

As someone who also played CoS (twice, though only once to completion) I will second mental spells being a pain. Spent the entire final battle afraid and hiding in a coffin because I couldn't beat a certain fear save.

Guys, thank you very much! I was not lost, but in need of some help so to say :D I never played the cleric (started off with a monk and now it's time to say goodbye) and wanted to play something i really dig. And the theme of the grave-domain did. Now i am convinced i can rock that class and maybe survive CoS ;) And i have a paladin in my group, so i hope we will be fine.

i may not deal huge amount of damage to everyone, but with a few spells then and now i can get things done (or boost someone who can). Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Think of it like this when it comes to damage- whenever you inflict Vulnerability all that extra damage is technically yours.