PDA

View Full Version : Made a magic bow, what do yall think?

Menagroth
2020-09-07, 05:02 AM
Looking for feedback on this item. I am worried it might be overpowered, but am enjoying the theme

I am designing a set of magic items for a specific Homebrew quest within an adventure that I have planned through level 10. Essentially, once my PCs collect all of these items (more items being designed now) they will have to sacrifice them to complete a quest and defeat a BBEG. I am designing the items to get more powerful and reveal these powers to the characters as they level up. I borrowed spells and fit them into the bow. Just curious what this community thinks! Thank you!!

Explanation of terms:

Attunement rules: Beyond the Prime Succession, you roll a D10 and add your character level to see if you qualify for the ability listed. This can be attempted once per long rest. As an example, for the second succession they need to roll a 15 to gain access to those powers. So they have a 10% per long rest to unlock at level 5. And if they fail until they reach higher levels, they will have a better and better chance of unlocking those abilities as time goes on.

Stance: Only one stance can be active at a time, does not require concentration, but you must be actively using the bow for the duration.

Bramble Bow

Longbow, made of twisting vines and branches. Changes to fit size of attuned owner.

Prime Succession

Attunement: Brambleshot, 1/Long Rest

When you hit a creature you may attempt to restrain it as a writhing mass of thorny vines appears at the point of impact, and the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or take 1d4 poison damage and be restrained by the magical vines until the spell ends. A Large or larger creature has advantage on this saving throw. The vines last for one minute or until the target succeeds on the save, at which point the vines shrivel away.

A creature restrained by the vines or one that can touch the creature can use its action to make a Strength check to extract, DC 12 + proficiency bonus.

Second Succession

To attune: 1D10 + character level >= 15

+1 attack/damage, magical for overcoming resistances.

Brambleshot, 2/LR, 2d4 Poison damage, now makes 15 ft cube difficult terrain centered on target for length of spell. Attuned user of bow ignores the difficult terrain movement penalty from this.

Third Succession

To attune: 1D10 + character level >= 16
Brambleshot, 3/LR, 3D4 Poison damage

Zephyr: 1 Bonus Action, 1 min stance, 1/ LR
You move like the wind. Until the spell ends, your movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.
Once before the spell ends, your walking speed increases by 30 feet until the end of that turn, and you can give yourself advantage on one weapon attack roll on your turn. That attack deals an extra 1d8 force damage on a hit.

Fourth Succession

To attune: 1D10 + character level >= 17

Brambleshot, 4d4 Poison Damage, and Con Save 12 + proficiency Bonus, or inflict poisoned condition for duration of effect (1 minute)

Zephyr : 2/LR

Fifth Succession

To attune: 1D10 + character level >= 18

Brambleshot: 5d4 Poison Damage

Oakenskin: Bonus action, 1 hour stance. Your AC is now 15 + dex bonus, shield still applies. Armor does not affect your AC.

Sixth Succession

To attune: 1D10 + character level >= 19

Brambleshot: 6d4 Poison Damage

Redwoodskin: (Replaces Oakenskin) Bonus action, 1 hour stance, 2/Long rest, Your AC is now 16 + dex bonus, resistance to fire, shield still applies. Armor does not affect your AC.

Seventh Succession

To attune: 1D10 + character level >= 20

+2 attack/damage, magical for overcoming resistances.

Brambleshot: 7d4 Poison Damage

Zephyr : 3/LR, gain Freedom of Movement for duration

Guardian of Nature: 1/LR, one hour stance. A nature spirit answers your call and transforms you into a powerful guardian. The transformation lasts until the spell ends. You choose one of the following forms to assume: Primal Beast or Great Tree.

Primal Beast. Bestial fur covers your body, your facial features become feral, you also take on the abilities of Zephyr and you gain the following benefits:
- Your walking speed increases by 10 feet.
- You gain darkvision with a range of 120 feet.
- You make Strength—based attack rolls with advantage.
- Your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d6 force damage on a hit.

Great Tree. Your skin appears barky, you also take on the abilities of Redwoodskin, leaves sprout from your hair, and you gain the following benefits:
. You gain 10 temporary hit points.
- You make Constitution saving throws with advantage.
- You make Dexterity- and Wisdom-based attack rolls with advantage.
- While you are on the ground, the ground within 15 feet of you is difficult terrain for your enemies.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-09-07, 09:06 AM
It's fine, obviously powerful and probably overpowered but you seem to be aware of the issue. So if it fits into your world and you want this much of the PCs' power and focus to be about this magic item, then I guess it's good.

I also think that if your magic item needs an explanation of terms, you've probably overdone it a bit. I'm sure you could have made it much simpler, and probably should have if you expect the players to keep track of most of this. For instance, you didn't really need to rewrite Ensnaring Strike, Zephyr Strike and Guardian of Nature into the descriptions. You could have just said that it allows the wielder to cast those spells X/day without needing to concentrate upon the spell.

And I also think that GitP has a separate forum for homebrew threads.