PDA

View Full Version : Upcast Major Image + Malleable Illusions + Illusory Reality?

Yakmala
2020-09-07, 03:12 PM
I'm not new to playing Wizards but I am new to Illusionists and I have some questions about how the combo listed in the title actually works.

Major image can create something as large as a 20' cube. If you upcast it using a 6th level slot, the illusion is permanent until dispelled with no concentration required.

Malleable Illusions allows me to use my action to change the nature of an illusion I cast.

Illusory Reality allows me to turn an illusion or portion of an illusion that I cast real, as long as it is a non-magical, inanimate object that deals no damage. This lasts for 1 minute, but there is no limit on the number of times Illusory Reality can be used.

So, given all of that...

Can Illusory Reality be used more than once per illusion, assuming the illusion is still around. In other words, can I make my permanent major image real for 1 minute, then a minute later, use my bonus action again to keep it real? The text of the ability states "You can do this on your turn as a bonus action while the spell is ongoing." which seems to imply this might be the case, but the text does not specifically say one way or the other if it can be maintained in this manner.

If the above is true, does this mean that I could, for example, Make a permanent Major Image of a small marble, which I then make real and keep in my hand or pocket, and at a later time, use Malleable Illusions to turn it into a bridge or heavy boulder or whatever other inanimate object I need it to be, and then, when done, use Malleable Illusions again to change it back into a marble and take it with me?

Major Image states that I can use an action to move the image anywhere within the 120' range. That leads to two additional questions that are potentially in opposition to one another.
1: Do I still need to use an action to move the image if Illusory Reality has made it into a real object that can be picked up and carried?
2: If Illusory Reality has made the image into a real object, does it still count an an illusion for the purposes of moving its location via an action?

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this. It seems like what an Illusionist is capable of is very dependent on the DM, so I'm trying to get as close to a consensus as possible n what can and cannot be done.

Satori01
2020-09-08, 01:07 AM
It seems reasonable to me to conclude that a permanent Major Image of a marble made Semi-Real through the use of Illusory Reality, would not require your action to move the now semi-real object.

Now the question I wonder about is the one minute duration of Illusory Reality able to be dismissed early?

If the answer is no, then Malleable Illusion may not apply to the now semi-real marble, let alone the requirements of Major Image.

My inclination would be to allow an Illusionist to still use Malleable Illusion on a illusion that was made semi-real through Illusory Reality.

This use of Malleable Illusion, however, does reset the new form to a completely illusionary state, and removes any svabhava/ semi-reality imparted by Illusory Reality.

You are an Illusionist and not a Transmuter, afterall. :)

So with an Action, one could change the semi-real marble into an illusion of a bridge. Moving the bridge in this state is subject to the constraints of the Major Image Spell.

As a Bonus Action, once can use Illusory Reality on the bridge, to impart semi-reality.

When one chooses to one could, as an Action, transform the semi-real bridge into an illusory marble, and possibly have to spend another Action moving the illusory marble back to one's self, to then use Illusory Reality to make the illusory marble semi-real again and place it in your pocket.

Segev
2020-09-08, 08:50 AM
This seems legitimate to me. I will point out that you’re having to keep spending a bonus action every minute to re-solidify your marble, lest it be left behind as an illusion. My preferred means of keeping major images nearby is to put them in a Leomund’s Secret Chest, since there’s no question that they’re in it and thus they go with it when it vanishes and reappears.

I have a thread on illusionist tricks you might like, too: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?477658-Illusionist-Tricks

I’m always looking for new ideas to add to it, so if you have any, please share them!

I only relatively recently noticed the lack of limit to how often you can use Illusory Reality; I think I have it mentioned in there, but I’ll have to double check.