PDA

View Full Version : I need help deciding on my next level >_<

Bastionus
2020-09-07, 07:56 PM
So I am currently a level 6 life cleric and a level 6 chronurgist wizard.

My original plan is to be level 10 cleric and level 10 wizard. So that I can get access to divine intervention on the cleric side and the momentary stasis on the wizard side. Plus access to level 5 spells on each side such as mass cure wounds and temporal shunt.

The purpose of this build is to be the parties tactician/support. I love healing and buffing with my cleric side but also love supporting and manipulating with my wizard side.

My idea for level 6 life cleric and 14 wizard in the long run, is because of the Divergent Future feature and other tactical spells like contingency and teleport on the wizard side.

I have no idea what higher level stuff looks like as this is my first character. Please give me advice as group is online and not my friends group in real life since I got into DND just before the pandemic struck >_>

Thanks again for any input or advice! I have been tossing and turning for weeks now worrying about this choice >_<

Christew
2020-09-07, 09:27 PM
5e doesn't support 50/50 multiclassing pretty much at all -- you just end up as a poor wizard and a poor cleric and it takes you forever to get there. If you want to make an optimized tactical character with mostly wizard but still some healing, I'd recommend a Cleric 1/Wizard 19. Get your heavy armor, bless, and healing word without delaying your wizard casting anymore than necessary. Those 5th level spells will feel mighty puny at level 20 when your fellows are slinging 9th level spells. Since you have already invested so many levels in 50/50, the best you can do is pick a main class and go 6/14 (I recommend Wizard).

If this is your first character, I'd try to stay away from theory crafting to 20 in general. Make something you enjoy and play it. 20 is a long way away and often is never reached. Welcome to the hobby!

Pex
2020-09-07, 09:46 PM
I suggest:

Level 7 wizard then level 8 wizard to get the ASI. 4th level wizard spells are more potent than 4th level cleric spells.

Then level 7 cleric and level 8 cleric to get the ASI.

Then

Level 9 wizard for 5th level spells

Level 9 cleric for 5th level spells

For the last two levels decide which you want first, level 10 wizard and level 10 cleric based on the class feature you want more.

firelistener
2020-09-08, 03:16 PM
I think you're making a good call with cleric 6 / wizard 14.

The cleric features you'd gain are balanced around a blend of melee and healing, while you can really double down on casting with those wizard levels. Chronurgy is particularly good too since its features have a heavy impact on action economy in combat.

TyGuy
2020-09-08, 11:53 PM
So I am currently a level 6 life cleric and a level 6 chronurgist wizard.

I recommend a Cleric 1/Wizard 19.

Breh........

Edea
2020-09-09, 12:04 AM
What are your character's Int and Wis scores at the moment, OP?