PDA

View Full Version : E6 E6 in Review: Looking Back at a Completed Campaign

BlackOnyx
2020-09-09, 12:22 AM
(Something of a conclusion to these (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?594176-E6-in-Practice-Table-Rulings-amp-Alternate-Systems-You-ve-Adopted-in-Your-Campaign(s)) two (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?579113-The-Benefits-of-DM-ing-E6-My-Experience-So-Far) posts from a while back.)

A bit of a late review, but a few months ago my players and I wrapped up our first E6 campaign.

We managed to come in at just under 60 sessions in a year and a half, and despite the transition to virtual gatherings for the last 10 sessions (pandemic & such), managed to bring things to a close.

Having had some time to reflect on the campaign since then, I've come to recognize a few things I'd probably do differently were I to do it all again.

On the off chance the lessons from our group's experience might be of use to some of you in the future, I figured that I'd share my thoughts.

E6: The Things I'd Do Differently

Rework the Feat Schedule (Considerably)

One sticking point I noticed to different degrees throughout the campaign was the sometimes awkward pacing of character advancement.

In the early game (the first 30 sessions or so), leveling was the primary form of advancement. I offered a few narrative-based feats to my players on occasion, but overall, levels and class features took center stage as the primary means of "rewarding" them.

The problem with this was twofold:

- The rate at which my players' characters went from "average" to "extraordinary" sometimes felt artificially heightened. There were times where it would have been nice to reward them for their experiences without going so far as to promote them to the next level.

- Within a given character's class, there was less room for "organic" growth and differentiation than I would have liked. Though it wasn't to the same degree as planning a 1-to-20 build, there were still times when my players had to delay their feat choices in order to prepare for the features they hoped to unlock further down the road.

In the late game (the last 30 sessions or so), simply gaining feats felt somewhat stagnant by comparison.

Although character development during this stage was much more organic (players didn't feel as pressured to take certain feats), it felt like a step back compared to what the players had come to expect in the first half of the campaign.

To sum up the issue as a whole, players peaked too early and focused on breadth too late.

Were I to do it again, I would make earning bonus feats a much more regular aspect of the early game, using them as stepping stones between levels and allowing players to select more of them during character creation. For example, something to the tune of:

- Level 1 (+4 additional feats)

(1 feat)

- Level 2

(2 feats)

- Level 3

(3 feats)

- Level 4

(4 feats)

- Level 5

(5 feats)

- Level 6

(Bonus feats)

An advancement schedule along these lines would likely allow for more organic growth and character breadth in the early game and make the journey to becoming "extraordinary" feel that much more impactful.

Players' expectations for reward would be tempered, low CR encounters would stay relevant longer, and player growth would likely feel less lopsided overall.

Strictly Enforce Death Rules as Written OR (Alternatively) Use the Vitality Variant

This one is entirely on me.

Taking a page from some of the other games I've played in, we began the campaign with a certain house rule concerning player death. Namely:

Instead of dying at -10hp, a player would only pass on at -[half their total hp].

Don't do this.

In the early game, this wasn't much of an issue. Players approached battles with caution and avoiding death was a always at the forefront of their thoughts. There isn't a marked difference between dying at -10hp and dying at -13hp, after all.

By level 6, however, with a couple of our players passing the 60/70hp threshold...death became a considerably lesser concern.

When players realized they could get away with being downed and wait 20 rounds to be revived, brute force slowly began to replace careful planning & positioning as the preferred means of attack.

Now, I'll admit, I like to coddle my players. I love watching them play their carefully crafted builds and helping them develop their characters' legacies from the ground up. I grow as attached to their PCs as I would the cast of my favorite shows or books.

...but, in the end, lessening the ever-present threat of death is not the right way to preserve those feelings. The whole point of E6 is to portray the gritty, down to earth struggles of "real" people. Extraordinary people, but people just the same.

For future campaigns, I might play with the idea of increasing the death threshold to the greater of -10 or a player's CON score to add some variation to the mix, but even then, I find myself a bit wary.

Alternatively, I've heard good things about the Vitality & Wound Points variant, but I haven't played with it enough to speak much on the topic.

Do Away With Permanent Magic Items (At Least as Written)

This was another one of the dynamics that shifted somewhat between the early game and late game.

In the early game, magic items felt the way I had hoped E6 would make them feel. Rare. Special. Unique. Something worth bragging about.

However, by the end of the campaign, the early signs of the "magic mart" and "magic item arms race" issues typically present in higher level campaigns started to rear their ugly heads.

Intentionally or not, my player's familiarity & side discussions of "the classics" (i.e. belts of healing, vests of resistance) eventually convinced me to incorporate those items into the campaign.

Although magic items were still fairly rare, when coupled with the "early character peak issue" (see above), once players hit "extraordinary" status, there was little reason they couldn't simply barge in and gather up those uncommon items from the few people/beings/treasuries known to have them.

Coupled with the fact that I allowed one of my players to take Craft Wondrous Item (albeit with a monthly xp limitation), once the campaign hit a certain point, magic items started to lose their luster.

A few savvy item combinations by a couple of my players also ended up creating a noticeable damage disparity in the group by the endgame. Not enough to make any one character a non-contributor, but enough so that I felt the need to build encounters so that certain characters wouldn't be overshadowed.

Were I to do it again, I would consider making the following changes:

- Nix all permanent/multi-use item crafting feats

(Possibly limiting the list to Scribe Scroll, Brew Potion, and their close relatives)

- Treat all permanent magic items as artifacts

(Drive home their ancient or otherworldly origin)

- Toss out 3.5e's standard magic item list

(Remove all boring passive +X effects and create custom items via something similar to 5e's "magic item properties" table)

- Limit magic item use

(24 hour attunement for all items, a maximum of 1-2 attuned items at a time, giving most items limited daily/situational uses, etc.)

Rein in the Scope of the Narrative

To make a long story short:

Session 1: Players clear out den of feral dogs for a local festival.

Session 60: Players slay a thousand-year-old half-Ilithid Elan attempting to bait the heavens into "cleansing" the kingdom of demonic corruption in an effort to attract the attention of his mind flayer progenitors.

Was it fun getting from point A to point B? Undoubtedly.

Did we manage to avoid an "end of the multiverse" or "end of the world" scenario? Technically.

Did angels, demons, outsiders, and planar cosmology remain distant concepts shrouded in mystery? Mostly, yes.

Yet..somehow...somewhere along the line...I feel that I may have lost sight of that gritty E6 feel I had been enjoying so much at the campaign's outset.

In part, this outcome may have come about as a result of my earlier concerns: an early player peak, lenient death rules, and the beginning stages of magic item abuse.

Escalation led to escalation, and to keep the stakes relevant, I found myself increasing the scale of the narrative to compensate.

In hindsight, introducing a pending calamity on a smaller scale—perhaps a threat to a certain city or a certain faction in a region—could have achieved the same sense of urgency while keeping the stakes more down-to-earth.

There are more ways to incite your players into action than threatening widespread destruction, even if it's "only" on a nationwide scale.

In my effort to keep things challenging, I lost sight of that somewhere along the way.

While I enjoyed the story we ended up making together, I can't help but feel it would have had more of a lasting impact had I tightened the scope and really focused on a particular place or group of people.

At the end of the day, "saving the kingdom" is more of a distant, nebulous goal than E6 is really intended for. Epic 6 is best suited for nuanced campaigns, ones where the world remains mysterious, intrigue is favored over action, and careful planning wins out over raw displays of power.

Thank y'all for reading. Hope it might offer a little insight to those looking at starting up (or currently running) an E6 campaign of their own.

Crake
2020-09-09, 02:04 AM
As a DM who tinkered around with E6 for many years, I'd have to agree with many of these points.

For the issue of level advancement, personally, I use the pathfinder staggered leveling system, where at 25% 50% and 75% you get to pick between gaining half your hp for the next level, gaining your bab for the next level, or gaining your save boosts for the next level, along with at 50% gaining half your skill points. It adds to the granular leveling feeling, and goes from 5 level ups to 20 mini-levelups. Additionally, once hitting level 6, I homebrewed some options for players to use, they could purchase class skills and skill points/skill tricks in lieu of feats, I'd have to go back and look, but I believe it was something in the realm of 550xp per skill point, and 2500xp per class skill.

For the issue of magic items: Play a strong focus on exotic materials, alchemical items, and consumable magic items like potions and oils. There's practically an item material to overcome any DR in the game, as well as applying all sorts of exotic effects, dragoncrafted materials can apply elemental damage, alchemical gold/platinum can create exotically heavy beasts of weapons, and so on. I created an entire loot list for armor and weapons of all sorts, and was going to extend this to consumables and exotic equipment, but never really got around to it, since we stopped playing e6. To make up for the lack of "required numbers" though, I use pathfinder's automatic bonus progression system with the "no magic items" variant (where the bonuses start from level 1 rather than level 3).

Regarding hitpoints and death, I do indeed use wounds/vitality, but i added a negative hp system ontop of it, because I didn't like the death saves system at 0hp.

And finally, regarding scope... Yeah, gotta agree with you there. My first e6 game started off as survival horror, but by the end of it, it was... Nothing even close to resembling that! My last e6 game however, was a sort of monster-a-week adventure, where the players became competent monster hunters, but never became involved in some world-shifting plot. They eventually even tried their hand at sailing, which resulted in a fun "escape the island" adventure, where they had to explore, elminate threats that might come after them, avoid giant T-Rexes until they could figure out a plan to take it out (involving a carefully planned trap to lure it into a location where they could kill it with ranged weapons) and eventually craft themselves a ship to sail back home with. Once they got home, that was when we decided to end that story.

BlackOnyx
2020-09-09, 09:39 PM
For the issue of level advancement, personally, I use the pathfinder staggered leveling system

It adds to the granular leveling feeling, and goes from 5 level ups to 20 mini-levelups.

Not a bad idea, either. It certainly looks like it would help to spread out the rate of advancement and make growth feel more natural.

That said, one thing I like about using feats instead is the à la carte aspect it brings to the table.

I've always felt E6 was prime ruleset with which to encourage unique character builds. That is to say, in E6, it's much easier to think up and build on a character concept without worrying about if it will be underpowered or not. At level 6, the playing field between classes is a lot more even.

Some of the feat combinations my players came up with after starting to earn their bonus feats were pretty incredible. I'd love run another game where that encouragement to get creative and differentiate yourself is there from the start.

Additionally, once hitting level 6, I homebrewed some options for players to use, they could purchase class skills and skill points/skill tricks in lieu of feats

Ooh. Now that you mention it, I do like the idea of offering more options for skill advancement as well.

In a way, we did something similar by giving players the option to take Open Minded feat as many times as they'd like. (We also played with the assumption that all characters/NPCs had the Able Learner feat for simplicity's sake.)

That said, I wonder if offering a bonus skill point during each of those "mini level-ups"—be they feats or the staggered pathfinder system you mentioned—might help broaden some horizons as well. (Perhaps only allowing players to put one of these bonus points in a given skill between "full" level-ups.)

For the issue of magic items: Play a strong focus on exotic materials, alchemical items, and consumable magic items like potions and oils.

Sound advice. Definitely plays more to the traditional low fantasy vibe.

To make up for the lack of "required numbers" though, I use pathfinder's automatic bonus progression system with the "no magic items" variant (where the bonuses start from level 1 rather than level 3).

Pathfinder really offers some nice alternative systems on occasion, doesn't it? (I'll try to remember that table.)

Regarding hitpoints and death, I do indeed use wounds/vitality, but i added a negative hp system ontop of it, because I didn't like the death saves system at 0hp.

Fair. Giving players at least one last chance before biting the bullet is something I'd likely advocate for as well.

And finally, regarding scope... Yeah, gotta agree with you there. My first e6 game started off as survival horror, but by the end of it, it was... Nothing even close to resembling that!

Funny how that power creep just kinda sneaks in there, isn't it?

My last e6 game however, was a sort of monster-a-week adventure, where the players became competent monster hunters, but never became involved in some world-shifting plot. They eventually even tried their hand at sailing, which resulted in a fun "escape the island" adventure, where they had to explore, elminate threats that might come after them, avoid giant T-Rexes until they could figure out a plan to take it out (involving a carefully planned trap to lure it into a location where they could kill it with ranged weapons) and eventually craft themselves a ship to sail back home with. Once they got home, that was when we decided to end that story.

This is the kind of story E6 is really meant for.

Down to earth, satisfying, and memorable without being too melodramatic or bombastic.

BlackOnyx
2020-09-09, 10:22 PM
Heck, you know what? I'll toss out a few more suggestions I just remembered. May add to it as more come to mind.

(That said, these might not all necessarily be specific to E6.)

Consolidate Spot/Listen and Hide/Move Silently

Perception and Stealth. Keeps it simple. Cuts down on redundant rolling and allows players to focus their skill points elsewhere.

Bonuses specific to spot/listen detailed in spells/abilities can just be tacked on as circumstantial modifiers.

Allow Players to Break Up Movement & Actions

To be honest, the more I see this, the more it seems like a more natural way to play. (It's more cinematic, to boot.)

E6, despite its freedoms, does limit players in some ways. Why not open up the board for more tactical play where you can?

Martial characters (especially those with full BAB) would likely benefit from this quite a bit, perhaps narrowing the gap between them and casters further.

Increase Required Ability Scores for Casters

More of a theoretical here, and likely a messier process than it might initially seem. (Where do you draw the line?)

Ideally though, a stipulation like this would require players to really invest in order to become proper casters. (No becoming a wizard of legend with an INT of 13.)

Requiring players to have a primary casting stat of 12 for 1st level spells, 14 for 2nd level, and 16 for 3rd level could help cut back on situations where your master orc druid with a WIS of 13 also has the party's highest attack bonus and the most attacks, BAB be damned. (See Girallon's Blessing, SpC.)

In short, given that spellcasters (especially T1/T2) still have something of an edge in many situations, it's nice to have the assurance that they have to invest heavily to get there.

(This all said, things like spell DCs and bonus spells per day would be left otherwise unaltered.)

(Updated 9/10)

Expressing Item Value in Silver

Perhaps a small thing, but I think it really lends itself to a more grounded perception of player rewards.

Rolling into a campaign at level 1 and having a surly farmer tell players "You want a mule? That'll be 80 silver." feels a whole lot different than simply saying "oh yeah, it costs 8gp."

Even if it is just a factor of moving a decimal point, expressing item value in silver makes the economy of the "common folk" seem relevant. Actual arms and armor start to feel pricey, and masterwork items really begin to feel like a cut above.

Players really shouldn't be finding satchels of gold and silver just strewn about. Treasure should be more illiquid (items that can be sold and likely not for full price) and worth far less on average.

Coming across actual gold, much less platinum, in the wild should really only be a situation experienced in the highest echelons of play (level 6+), if even then.

Use of Traits and Flaws

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts (see above), one thing I really like about E6 is the differentiation aspect. More than anything else, the ability to choose from such a wide variety of feats allows players to build some truly unique characters.

Allowing players to select two traits (from the Character Trait variant list) could help to further encourage that differentiation and give players a stronger basis for developing their character's backstory.

Perhaps more controversially, I also like the idea of asking that all players roll a random flaw (see the Character Flaws variant list). Granted, I would probably remove the flaw "Pathetic" from the list entirely and nerf the others so that the statistic described was lessened by no more than two (perhaps one for anything regarding saves and a 5' penalty for the "Slow" flaw).

Players could roll best of three and choose the flaw that hindered them least.

Just seemed like another nice little way to drive home the "real people" aspect of E6 and make characters feel unique.

(Updated 9/16)

Using 3d6 (or possibly 2d10) instead of 1d20

A lot to unpack here, but the basic idea is that "easy things get easier, hard things get harder."

A 3d6/2d10 distribution is much more likely to result in average rolls for players and NPCs, cutting back on the swinginess of the d20 and making bonuses (to skills, saves, AC, attack, etc.) that much more important.

Some fiddling may need to be done with things like critical threat levels, but overall, the variant has the potential to really drive home the "realism" aspect of E6.