PDA

View Full Version : Companion NPC's, nonhumanoid

Asisreo1
2020-09-09, 01:40 AM
I've always wondered how exactly one would go about introducing something like a CR 2 animal party pet and have it actively contribute in combat while being in my damage calculations. I get that you can have them not actually in the fight, but I want the players to feel like it was a meaningful addition that they get to see fight alongside them and not narrated away.

I could do the CR-level character conversion where a CR 1 creature is roughly level 4, but I also want to include high level characters like expert mages and fighters that would represent CR 20 allies while having a way to gauge the balance.

Unoriginal
2020-09-09, 02:12 AM
I've always wondered how exactly one would go about introducing something like a CR 2 animal party pet and have it actively contribute in combat while being in my damage calculations. I get that you can have them not actually in the fight, but I want the players to feel like it was a meaningful addition that they get to see fight alongside them and not narrated away.

I could do the CR-level character conversion where a CR 1 creature is roughly level 4, but I also want to include high level characters like expert mages and fighters that would represent CR 20 allies while having a way to gauge the balance.

For most friendly Beasts, calculating the damage output is pretty easy. Just calculate it like you do for enemy NPCs but then add it to the group's total.

AvvyR
2020-09-09, 02:13 AM
In Mad Mage, my party has a goat that levels up as a sidekick using that rule set. Generally, she just pulls our cart and looks after our stuff, but she's been known to headbutt an enemy that gets too close.

Asisreo1
2020-09-09, 06:07 AM
For most friendly Beasts, calculating the damage output is pretty easy. Just calculate it like you do for enemy NPCs but then add it to the group's total.
I said damage calculations but I meant difficulty calculations. I was essentially wondering how I would know an encounter that was modified to provoke a challenge to my players wouldn't also just easily tpk them.

Unoriginal
2020-09-09, 08:45 AM
I said damage calculations but I meant difficulty calculations. I was essentially wondering how I would know an encounter that was modified to provoke a challenge to my players wouldn't also just easily tpk them.

In that case, what I would do is:

-Count the PCs' CR/XP budget as if there was one more person in the group

-Substract the ally's XP value from the total XP of each encounter they participate in

Not sure it'll work, but it should give a result in the ballpark you're seeking.

Whiskeyjack8044
2020-09-09, 10:23 AM
I use the Warrior Sidekick stats for animal companions with a few thematic tweaks such as size and speed changes. Usually 2 or 3 levels below the party.