PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Paladin Variant Which Allows This?

Palanan
2020-09-09, 03:45 PM
I had the idea of a paladin who is a champion of his race, but at the expense of all other races. Towards members of his own race, he behaves just as a standard paladin would; but towards other races he’s as indifferently ruthless as circumstances require.

This is obviously not a typical paladin concept, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s nothing to support it, but I wanted to ask to be sure. I’m also aware there are plenty of other mechanical options that could support this, such as PrCs, etc., but for my purposes here I’m only interested in paladin variants.

I’m open to all first-party WotC and Paizo content, as well as Dragon magazine. Are there any paladin-specific feats, variants, archetypes, etc. which could support this concept?

Zarvistic
2020-09-09, 03:50 PM
Check out the Despot variant in Dragon 312, it's not exactly like you describe it, but some things might come close.

Berenger
2020-09-09, 04:13 PM
There are chaotic and / or evil paladin variants for 3.5. You just need your DM to ignore the "loses all class abilities if he ever willingly commits a good act" part which is stupid anyway (treating "good" and "evil" like "plus" and "minus" and just switching every sign in the equation leads to strange results). I can absolutely see an elven paladin of tyranny carrying out genocide against the 'lesser' races in the name of elven supremacy while being a perfect knight in shining armor towards his own kind.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

GrayDeath
2020-09-09, 04:21 PM
Play a Cleric or FS of Zarus, or ask your DM to allow a Paladin of zarus Variant (I would make them lawful Neutral or Evil, and give them a Mix of the Paladin and the Paladin of Tyrranies Abilities myself).

Thurbane
2020-09-09, 06:12 PM
I had the idea of a paladin who is a champion of his race, but at the expense of all other races. Towards members of his own race, he behaves just as a standard paladin would; but towards other races he’s as indifferently ruthless as circumstances require.

This is obviously not a typical paladin concept, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s nothing to support it, but I wanted to ask to be sure. I’m also aware there are plenty of other mechanical options that could support this, such as PrCs, etc., but for my purposes here I’m only interested in paladin variants.

I’m open to all first-party WotC and Paizo content, as well as Dragon magazine. Are there any paladin-specific feats, variants, archetypes, etc. which could support this concept?

So, Kore, bascially?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/goblinscomic/images/1/1d/Kore.jpg

I suspect this is more of a role-playing thing, than mechanical, but some variants or PrCs may support it more than others...

Venger
2020-09-09, 06:27 PM

So a paladin who is racist? Seems like it's a purely rp decision and would work with any of the four flavors of paladin including vanilla, given their typical behavior towards goblins, orcs, etc. What race is your character? As GrayDeath said, Zarus is a logical choice if your character is human (or possibly a self-hating member of a half-human or human-derived race such as a changeling if you're looking for a source of in-character angst) but if that isn't what you're looking for, Wastri, the god of frogs and racism is also a natural complement to this kind of character concept, and has many human worshippers.

Mechanically, this concept doesn't push you in any particular direction, so as ever, Dictum Mortum's handbook (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php?topic=724.0) is a good place to get your feet wet. The A-game paladin is a cool and fun way to make paladin suck less, so I'd recommend that if you don't mind a tiny bit of extra bookkeeping.

That's where I'd suggest you start if you're married to starting out with the paladin base class mechanically. If you are more interested in this as a thematic concept for your character, I'd honestly suggest thinking about going into ranger, since racism is their primary class feature mechanically.

ShurikVch
2020-09-09, 06:36 PM
Play a Cleric or FS of Zarus, or ask your DM to allow a Paladin of zarus Variant (I would make them lawful Neutral or Evil, and give them a Mix of the Paladin and the Paladin of Tyrranies Abilities myself).
Among the... ahem... "race-sensitive" deities, there are also Wastri (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Wastri) (from Greyhawk) and Emperor of Scorn (https://kingdoms-of-kalamar-campaign-setting.obsidianportal.com/wikis/emperor-of-scorn) (from Kingdoms of Kalamar)

Thurbane
2020-09-09, 06:38 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a Paladin variant that gets Favored Enemy, which is a mechanical way to reflect antipathy towards a specific race.

Venger
2020-09-09, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a Paladin variant that gets Favored Enemy, which is a mechanical way to reflect antipathy towards a specific race.
There are four:

Avenging allows a favored enemy of your choice, but costs you lay on hands, remove disease, and turn undead, so removes your ability to benefit from divine feats, which is a pretty poor trade.

Crescent moon knight provides fe against lycanthropes. (On that note, check out eberron's Five Nations book about the church of the silver flame, an organization of racist paladins who mostly terrorize lycanthropes and shifters, a very good fit thematically for your character) but again it costs turn undead.

Holy judge gives fe against devils in exchange for smite, which is actually a pretty good trade in a devil-heavy game.

Shadow cloak gives fe of your choice of humanoid and is free, but requires you to be a gnome.

Palanan
2020-09-09, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Zarvistic
Check out the Despot variant in Dragon 312, it's not exactly like you describe it, but some things might come close.

Excellent suggestion, thanks. Not a perfect fit, but gave me some good ideas.

Originally Posted by Thurbane
I'm pretty sure there's a Paladin variant that gets Favored Enemy….

Thanks—I like this idea, although the examples listed by another poster don’t really fit what I need.

What would be a good trade from the standard paladin kit for favored enemy?

Venger
2020-09-09, 07:11 PM
Excellent suggestion, thanks. Not a perfect fit, but gave me some good ideas.

Thanks—I like this idea, although the examples listed by another poster don’t really fit what I need.

What would be a good trade from the standard paladin kit for favored enemy?

Paladin is a pretty underpowered class. If your gm is just letting you rebuild it from the ground up, I don't think it would upset things too much if he let you just... have favored enemy for free. As evidenced by shadow cloak paladin, there's precedent for it.

rel
2020-09-10, 12:21 AM
I've had some fun playing a crusader as a paladin, all of the holy wrath, none of the derp RP reqs.

StSword
2020-09-10, 12:51 AM
Honestly what you are talking about isn't a paladin to begin with.

It's Arcana Unearthed's Champion (of Race) class (https://arcanaevolved.fandom.com/wiki/Champion).

Don't know if your table does third party material or not though.

Rynjin
2020-09-10, 12:56 AM
While not 3.5, it is Pathfinder, you could be a Paladin of Torag, the Dwarven deity.

Paladins of Torag are dedicated to protecting not just the lives but the way of life for those under their charge, and hold the ways of their chosen people as holy, especially when they are the centuries-old works and traditions of an entire race. Their tenets include the following affirmations.

My word is my bond. When I give my word formally, I defend my oath to my death. Traps lie in idle banter or thoughtless talk, and so I watch my tongue.

I am at all times truthful, honorable, and forthright, but my allegiance is to my people. I will do what is necessary to serve them, including misleading others if need be.

I respect the forge, and never sully it with half-hearted work. My creations reflect the depth of my faith, and I will not allow flaws save in direst need.

Against my people’s enemies, I will show no mercy. I will not allow their surrender, except when strategy warrants. I will defeat them, yet even in the direst struggle, I will act in a way that brings honor to Torag.

Relevant bits bolded. Maybe reflavor to Muradin and roll out.

Palanan
2020-09-10, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by StSword
Don't know if your table does third party material or not though.

Usually not, but in this case I’m glad you mentioned it. There's a handy mini-guide on p. 33 showing how to make new champion variants, so that's helpful.

Originally Posted by Rynjin
While not 3.5, it is Pathfinder, you could be a Paladin of Torag, the Dwarven deity.

Interesting, thanks. Is the text from Inner Sea Gods?

ATHATH
2020-09-10, 10:57 AM
You could play a Ranger instead of a Paladin and just (re)fluff yourself as being a Paladin. Then that pesky default Paladin code won't get in your way...

nedz
2020-09-10, 11:45 AM
Take a look at Scar Enforcer (Races of Destiny p130) - it's probably not quite what you are looking for.

GrayDeath
2020-09-10, 01:15 PM
My Suggestion: Take the PF Paladin (its in no way OP, just better at its stuff than 3.5) and remove half the Mercies for 3 Favoured Enemies.

Easily done, fits your bill.

Only needs an added code part of "the X Races mentioned here you may treat differently, as mentioned there" or somesuch.

If you`re doing it from ground up, I would keep Smite, Spellcasting, Saves and Immunities/Auras, but remove Mercies, get an additional Pool of Smite Race X per Favoured Enemy, and add 4 F Enemies (at Levels 3, 8, 12 and 17).

Palanan
2020-09-10, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by nedz
Take a look at Scar Enforcer (Races of Destiny p130) - it's probably not quite what you are looking for.

Not quite, but it does combine favored enemy, smite and sneak attack, plus spell progression, which is interesting.

Originally Posted by Venger
Paladin is a pretty underpowered class. If your gm is just letting you rebuild it from the ground up, I don't think it would upset things too much if he let you just... have favored enemy for free. As evidenced by shadow cloak paladin, there's precedent for it.

And in light of Scar Enforcer, the more I think about this, the more I like this idea, as well as GD’s suggestions.

Rynjin
2020-09-10, 08:19 PM
Interesting, thanks. Is the text from Inner Sea Gods?

I think it's Faiths of Purity, let me double check.

Nope, you were right, it's Inner Sea Gods.

Particle_Man
2020-09-10, 08:36 PM
What race do you want this Paladin to be?

There are the three level “racial paragon classes” that might be worth a look in the srd and unearthed arcana.

If we are talking human there are some pro-human ways to go (maybe using feats or even the variant multiclass rules of pathfinder to add in the human bloodline sorcerer).

There is an anti-Paladin variant in pathfinder that is largely anti-nature if you want to focus on civilization (humans) vs nature (elves and the like).

Soranar
2020-09-10, 09:29 PM
a paladin of tyranny is lawful evil, not hard to make his ''code'' some kind of fantastic racism

Thurbane
2020-09-11, 03:47 AM
a paladin of tyranny is lawful evil, not hard to make his ''code'' some kind of fantastic racism

I have an NPC MBEG who is a Paladin of Tyranny (of Zarus [RoD]). Basically a human zealot who thinks all other sentient races are an abomination.

Palanan
2020-09-11, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Particle_Man
There is an anti-Paladin variant in pathfinder that is largely anti-nature if you want to focus on civilization (humans) vs nature (elves and the like).

Do you happen to know the name of this one, or the source? This is worth keeping in mind for a separate concept.

Originally Posted by Thurbane
I have an NPC MBEG who is a Paladin of Tyranny (of Zarus [RoD]). Basically a human zealot who thinks all other sentient races are an abomination.

As it happens, I had an almost identical cleric in my current campaign, who used the party for his own ends. The party included a tiefling, a changeling and a dwarf, so you can imagine how he felt about them.

Particle_Man
2020-09-11, 05:26 PM
Do you happen to know the name of this one, or the source? This is worth keeping in mind for a separate concept.

Blighted Myrmidon from Ultimate Wilderness.

I combined it with the LE tyrant variant from Ultimate Intrigue but that is just a matter of LE vs. CE taste. If you take both don’t take the servant option, just go for the magic weapon, and you avoid archetype conflicts.