PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Is there a way to get a shovel-crossbow?

Trandir
2020-09-09, 05:31 PM
A simple question. Is there a way to get a shovel that converts into a crossbow or a crossbow that converts into a shovel?

Thurbane
2020-09-09, 05:37 PM
Sizing/Morphing on a Bladed Crossbow, and have it change into a Monk's "Spade"?

A Useful Buckler (A&EG p.95) can change into a small shovel, among other things: not sure how to combine a buckler and crossbow, though.

Other than that, PaO, but that seems like overkill...

Toliudar
2020-09-09, 05:40 PM
Shapesand?

Bullet06320
2020-09-09, 06:56 PM
complete scoundrel has the bayonet for crossbows

you could modify the bayonet i geuss

Thurbane
2020-09-09, 08:04 PM
Sizing/Morphing on a Bladed Crossbow, and have it change into a Monk's "Spade"?

A Useful Buckler (A&EG p.95) can change into a small shovel, among other things: not sure how to combine a buckler and crossbow, though.

Other than that, PaO, but that seems like overkill...

Quite cheesy, but you could get a Useful Buckler, Dispel Magic on it, PaO into a Crossbow. It might retain the special abilities of the Useful Buckler in it's new (permanent) crossbow form. You would probably need to re-enchant it as a weapon (I doubt the +1 bonus would transfer between shield and weapon), assuming the newly created crossbow is masterwork.

Shaper of Form PrC might also be able to pull off a similar trick.

Batcathat
2020-09-10, 01:01 AM
A simple question. Is there a way to get a shovel that converts into a crossbow or a crossbow that converts into a shovel?

Out of curiosity, why do you want this? Is the idea to hide that you're carrying a crossbow or do you just want a all in one sollution to all of your shooting and digging needs?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-10, 01:27 AM
A +1 cursed-morphing crossbow that can turn into any tool BUT weapons? Add on regular morphing to turn into weapons, too.

Trandir
2020-09-10, 05:38 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you want this? Is the idea to hide that you're carrying a crossbow or do you just want a all in one sollution to all of your shooting and digging needs?

One of my players wants a crossbow-shovel and I wanted to know if there was a way to do it in a published manual. I could just say "a merchant got one, have fun" but wanted to know if that was necessary

Vizzerdrix
2020-09-10, 09:02 AM
Could an ice chucker be used to fire shovels?

Duke of Urrel
2020-09-10, 10:40 AM

Unless there's magic involved, I imagine that a combined crossbow and shovel would be a somewhat inferior crossbow and a somewhat inferior shovel.

I would prefer a custom-made, unique wondrous item that was simply both a crossbow and a shovel. It would work by command word. Just say the word, and you change your perfectly good crossbow into a perfectly good shovel. Say the command word again, and you change your perfectly good shovel into a perfectly good crossbow.

There could be an interesting backstory to this item. Maybe there was once a brilliant dwarven wizard who also was an independent prospector who wanted to mine for gold but didn't want anybody else interfering, and maybe she invented a specific Transmutation spell, called "Transmute Shovel to Crossbow" just for this purpose. Then maybe she crafted this spell into a magic item for her descendants.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-10, 11:28 AM
Prestidigitation cleans a cubic foot of space per round, right? What happens if you set prestidigitation to cleaning the dirt in the ground? A 1 cubic foot hole, that's what.

So a crossbow that allows you to use prestidigitation at will could dig holes in dirt at 1 cubic foot per round.

nedz
2020-09-10, 11:40 AM
One of my players wants a crossbow-shovel and I wanted to know if there was a way to do it in a published manual. I could just say "a merchant got one, have fun" but wanted to know if that was necessary

It's an unusual request.

A variant Rod of Lordly Might would be an expensive solution though a Gauntlet of Storing might be more useful.

Celestia
2020-09-10, 11:54 AM
What's the problem with just buying a regular shovel? It's only 2gp. Any sort of magic crossbow/shovel is going to cost hundreds or thousands more.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-10, 12:21 PM
What's the problem with just buying a regular shovel? It's only 2gp. Any sort of magic crossbow/shovel is going to cost hundreds or thousands more.Because a crossbow that fires shovels lets you play Shovel Knight in real life?

Plus, who wouldn't want a crossbow that fires shovels? Just imagine the puns.

"I'll help you dig your own grave!"

Celestia
2020-09-10, 12:40 PM
Because a crossbow that fires shovels lets you play Shovel Knight in real life?

I read it as a crossbow that can also work as a shovel, not a crossbow that can shoot shovels. For that, just use a standard ballista with fletched shovels.

Trandir
2020-09-10, 12:51 PM
Could an ice chucker be used to fire shovels?

I'd say yes. But the ice chucker is not a shovel

It's an unusual request.

A variant Rod of Lordly Might would be an expensive solution though a Gauntlet of Storing might be more useful.

It is. It trurly is.

What's the problem with just buying a regular shovel? It's only 2gp. Any sort of magic crossbow/shovel is going to cost hundreds or thousands more.

I guess my player is the problem.He wants a crossbow-shovel. This player already got a shovel and a crossbow and now wants a single tool to replace both of them.

Because a crossbow that fires shovels lets you play Shovel Knight in real life?

Nope definetly not. This dwarf wizard (not a necromancer) wants a crossbow that doubles as a shovel.

I read it as a crossbow that can also work as a shovel, not a crossbow that can shoot shovels. For that, just use a standard ballista with fletched shovels.

Correct reading

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-10, 12:59 PM
Nope definetly not. This dwarf wizard (not a necromancer) wants a crossbow that doubles as a crossbow.If you're the DM, just let him have it. It won't break anything. Also, during the first combat, he should find out that the crossbow somehow transmutes its bolts into shovels. No mechanical difference, but something in the magic of the item has it firing shovels. A necromancer that fires shovels at people so they can dig their own graves after he animates them would be morbidly hilarious. Give it an Addams Family vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIUBK2sZ3Y

Trandir
2020-09-10, 01:10 PM
If you're the DM, just let him have it. It won't break anything. Also, during the first combat, he should find out that the crossbow somehow transmutes its bolts into shovels. No mechanical difference, but something in the magic of the item has it firing shovels. A necromancer that fires shovels at people so they can dig their own graves after he animates them would be morbidly hilarious. Give it an Addams Family vibe.

Again he wants a crossbow that can be turned into a shovel or a shovel that can be turned into a crossbow. Not a shovel thrower

And the wizard is a diviner not a necromancer

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-10, 01:22 PM
Again he wants a crossbow that can be turned into a shovel or a shovel that can be turned into a crossbow. Not a shovel thrower Could easily be both. A crossbow that has a spade attachment (like a bayonet but shovel-shaped), with an extendible handle that also acts as a firing brace, and the bolts look like they're shovels when fired. They're still crossbow bolts; they just take on the appearance of shovels when fired. A neat little quirk that will have bystanders scratching their heads.

And the wizard is a diviner not a necromancerAh. Apologies. Maybe he finds one after slaying an evil necromancer?

Vizzerdrix
2020-09-10, 02:10 PM
If anything, add the prices of a masterwork crossbow and a masterwork shovel together, add 50g and call it a day. Its not like he wants a candle of invocation or anything.

Trandir
2020-09-10, 02:33 PM
If anything, add the prices of a masterwork crossbow and a masterwork shovel together, add 50g and call it a day. Its not like he wants a candle of invocation or anything.

I was thinking about pricing it about 3000 gp, making it also turn into other tools lime a crowbar, a pickaxe or a sledge hammer and the crossbow part would be +1 as well. But just a regular one for about 250 gp might work just fine.

Celestia
2020-09-10, 02:49 PM
I was thinking about pricing it about 3000 gp, making it also turn into other tools lime a crowbar, a pickaxe or a sledge hammer and the crossbow part would be +1 as well. But just a regular one for about 250 gp might work just fine.
That sounds like a reasonable item, and I could see a Swiss army crossbow being worth buying.

Batcathat
2020-09-10, 02:53 PM
That sounds like a reasonable item, and I could see a Swiss army crossbow being worth buying.

Now I kinda hope it'll be designed like a Swiss army knife, with different tools folding out of the crossbow's stock...

Unavenger
2020-09-10, 02:58 PM
Pathfinder recommends that you "Add triple the price and double the weight of the tool to the weapon’s final price and weight."

Thurbane
2020-09-10, 03:08 PM
Unless there's magic involved, I imagine that a combined crossbow and shovel would be a somewhat inferior crossbow and a somewhat inferior shovel.

I would prefer a custom-made, unique wondrous item that was simply both a crossbow and a shovel. It would work by command word. Just say the word, and you change your perfectly good crossbow into a perfectly good shovel. Say the command word again, and you change your perfectly good shovel into a perfectly good crossbow.

There could be an interesting backstory to this item. Maybe there was once a brilliant dwarven wizard who also was an independent prospector who wanted to mine for gold but didn't want anybody else interfering, and maybe she invented a specific Transmutation spell, called "Transmute Shovel to Crossbow" just for this purpose. Then maybe she crafted this spell into a magic item for her descendants.

If we reverse engineer the pricing of the Useful Buckler (10,265 gp), subtracting the cost of a regular +1 Buckler (1,165 gp), the special ability comes out at 9,100gp. Seems extremely overpriced to me, but anyway. Since that's the ability to turn into 5 different tools, I think lowering the price for shovel only would be entirely reasonable.

Bladed Crossbow, for comparison, is 4,660 gp, but that doesn't actually transform - it's basically just a +1 Battle and +1 Heavy Crossbow glued together.

Rod of Surprises is 6,000gp for a transforming +1 javelin/kama/longspear/quarterstaff/scythe/shortspear/short sword/spear, that can also change into a 60 ft pole, and store messages as a Magic Mouth.

With all of that in mind, 3,000 gp for a +1 Crossbow that can change into a couple of tools seems fine to me.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-10, 03:15 PM
A bit of shapesand would be vastly cheaper than most of the options mentioned, and it could do the same thing with a Wis check.

Trandir
2020-09-10, 04:45 PM
A bit of shapesand would be vastly cheaper than most of the options mentioned, and it could do the same thing with a Wis check.

Ye. I don't think he will be happy with his dream weapon hidden behind a DC 16 with a wisdom score of 12

Vizzerdrix
2020-09-10, 04:48 PM

But it couldn't hold an enchantment past the first change.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-10, 05:12 PM
But it couldn't hold an enchantment enhancement past the first change.Only if the shapesand is destroyed when broken apart. If not, it'll keep its weapon properties, although they'll only be usable when in weapon form.

Mnemius
2020-09-10, 07:17 PM
Import Traveler's Any-Tool from pathfinder and then give it a crossbow configuration? (for an extra cost of course)

Point out the other options as just things the diviner added in because of something he foresaw?

Nightcanon
2020-09-11, 08:26 AM
Functionally, is there any difference between a shovel-crossbow and separate crossbow and shovel? In real world terms, the only difference is that the one item is less unwieldy to carry around that the two (but more than either one on its own). In D&D, encumbrance is often ignored and fairly easy to overcome when not, so it hardly makes any difference. The only there thing I can come up with is that the player might claim to be able to switch from using a ranged weapon to melee without penalty, which is a bit cheeky but hardly game-breaking from a Diviner. Make it exotic if you like if you think he's trying to blag a situation-specific use of Quick Draw for free.

Batcathat
2020-09-11, 08:28 AM
The only there thing I can come up with is that the player might claim to be able to switch from using a ranged weapon to melee without penalty, which is a bit cheeky but hardly game-breaking from a Diviner. Make it exotic if you like if you think he's trying to blag a situation-specific use of Quick Draw for free.

If that's the case combining the crossbow with a shovel of all things seems like an odd choice.

Nightcanon
2020-09-11, 09:58 AM
If that's the case combining the crossbow with a shovel of all things seems like an odd choice.
Seems like a quirky but thematically sound combination for a dwarf. I'd like to see the character portrait/ miniature. I'd straight up allow it, masterwork heavy crossbow with shovel attachment.

Bronk
2020-09-11, 10:36 AM
One of the Dragon Mags has a 'Steel Crossbow' (in heavy and light flavors) that itself doubles as a mace. Trade that out for a shovel or that monk spade mentioned earlier and your player would be all set. It would only have to be slightly personalized, maybe for an extra one time fee?

It would be pretty cool if the act of shoveling could be combined with cocking the crossbow...

liquidformat
2020-09-11, 11:36 AM
I think the easiest way to deal with this is to just go with the bayonet idea suggested earlier. Having a shovel insert into the crossbow as a bayonet would is pretty straightforward and easy. Otherwise magical 'dwarven army' crossbow seems like a decent one too. Maybe we should come up with a list of the other tools the 'dwarven army' crossbow would turn into?

'dwarven army' crossbow:
Shovel
Crowbar
Saw
Tankard

ShurikVch
2020-09-11, 12:40 PM
Eldritch Haunt template (Towers of High Sorcery):
can be added to any corporeal creature which isn't divine spellcaster;
gives "alternate form" of some magical item (CL no higher than creature's HD + 1).Thus, take Animated Object(/Minor Servitor) shovel, and give it alternate form of a magical crossbow... :smallwink:

ben-zayb
2020-09-11, 02:01 PM
Dang, I thought based on the title that we're looking for some massive crossbow that uses shovels as ammunition. Oh well.

Thurbane
2020-09-13, 10:54 PM
TRANDIR'S VERSATILE CROSSBOW
Price (Item Level): 3,000 gp (7th)
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) transmutation
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: 4 lb. (see below)

The stock of this sturdy light crossbow is adorned with a series of small metallic plates. Closer examination reveals that each plate bears an engraving of a different tool.

This +1 light crossbow has the ability to transform into any of the following tools: a shovel, crowbar, pickaxe or sledge hammer. The wielder says a command word to transform the crossbow into a tool or to switch between tools, although he must be touching the crossbow/tool to activate the ability. While in any of the tool forms it acts as a mundane (but well made) version of that tool. The crossbow's current form determines it's weight, hardness and hit points. If the crossbow is destroyed in any form, it loses its magic, and becomes a normal (broken) crossbow.

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, fabricate; Cost to Create: 1,500 gp, 120 XP, 3 days

Trandir
2020-09-14, 04:10 AM
TRANDIR'S VERSATILE CROSSBOW
Price (Item Level): 3,000 gp (7th)
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) transmutation
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: 4 lb. (see below)

The stock of this sturdy light crossbow is adorned with a series of small metallic plates. Closer examination reveals that each plate bears an engraving of a different tool.

This +1 light crossbow has the ability to transform into any of the following tools: a shovel, crowbar, pickaxe or sledge hammer. The wielder says a command word to transform the crossbow into a tool or to switch between tools, although he must be touching the crossbow/tool to activate the ability. While in any of the tool forms it acts as a mundane (but well made) version of that tool. The crossbow's current form determines it's weight, hardness and hit points. If the crossbow is destroyed in any form, it loses its magic, and becomes a normal (broken) crossbow.

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, fabricate; Cost to Create: 1,500 gp, 120 XP, 3 days

Hey this is my idea but written decently. Thanks Thurbane

ShurikVch
2020-09-14, 05:33 AM
On the non-magical side, there were such things as Trowel Bayonets (https://www.forgottenweapons.com/the-good-idea-fairy-strikes-american-trowel-bayonets/): bayonet, but also e-tool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0FFPyEN1k&feature=emb_logo