PDA

View Full Version : Two+ NPC and the one man stage play problem

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-09-09, 08:05 PM
Okay. So as almost forever DM longing to be a player because I love rping and acting in character at the table. I've started to get concerned about when the players make actions happen which bring several npcs together and they have dramatic reasons to speak with each other. A king and his son having a heart to heart. Kind of stuff.
Now don't get me wrong I am MORE than ready and willing to ham it up and chew all over the scene but doing so as a DM makes me worried. I want my players to have input but every time I pause a scene to see if any one wanted to add they normally say no or do minimal amount..
Bad or good sign I have NO idea lol.
But how do you other DMs handle npc on npc scenes is it okay for me to put on my one man play or should I keep cutting my self off to check in on the players so they can have more input?

PhoenixPhyre
2020-09-09, 08:15 PM
Okay. So as almost forever DM longing to be a player because I love rping and acting in character at the table. I've started to get concerned about when the players make actions happen which bring several npcs together and they have dramatic reasons to speak with each other. A king and his son having a heart to heart. Kind of stuff.
Now don't get me wrong I am MORE than ready and willing to ham it up and chew all over the scene but doing so as a DM makes me worried. I want my players to have input but every time I pause a scene to see if any one wanted to add they normally say no or do minimal amount..
Bad or good sign I have NO idea lol.
But how do you other DMs handle npc on npc scenes is it okay for me to put on my one man play or should I keep cutting my self off to check in on the players so they can have more input?

When PCs don't have a chance to interject and get involved (making it a 3-cornered conversation), summarize. A few sentences is (usually) fine, paragraphs or minutes of speaking...not so much.

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-09-09, 08:22 PM
When PCs don't have a chance to interject and get involved (making it a 3-cornered conversation), summarize. A few sentences is (usually) fine, paragraphs or minutes of speaking...not so much.

That is what I've been trying to do every now and again but sometimes it just doesn't feel very impactful as a bit of rp just broken down. Is that just a me thing?

zinycor
2020-09-10, 11:51 AM
It's a matter of style, how "gamey" is your table? If they are there primarily to hack and slash it would probably be best to make it short. If they are very much into the RP then go for it.

Just be sure to integrate the PCs as much as you can and have their interactions be welcomed and have impact.

Trask
2020-09-10, 02:19 PM
I would RP the most important lines, the most dramatic moments, but have the rest summarized in a sort of fade to black scene. Of course it does depend on your players, some players enjoy watching NPCs talk. But I myself would appreciate the DM keeping NPC only talk brief.

MaxWilson
2020-09-10, 02:26 PM
That is what I've been trying to do every now and again but sometimes it just doesn't feel very impactful as a bit of rp just broken down. Is that just a me thing?

Probably just you. Ask your players. If they also want the scene to be more active, pass out role assignments with written notes on what the various NPCs want from each other, and roleplay the scene with them. I.e. make some of them PCs for a scene while the regular PCs observe.

(Or even do this while regular PCs are offscreen entirely, as a form of less-boring cutscene. "While you guys are exploring the Depths Below, here's what's happening with King Boramel and Lady Illmarrow...")

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-09-10, 06:09 PM
Probably just you. Ask your players. If they also want the scene to be more active, pass out role assignments with written notes on what the various NPCs want from each other, and roleplay the scene with them. I.e. make some of them PCs for a scene while the regular PCs observe.

(Or even do this while regular PCs are offscreen entirely, as a form of less-boring cutscene. "While you guys are exploring the Depths Below, here's what's happening with King Boramel and Lady Illmarrow...")

Oooh...now this is an idea for a different table for sure. I love the idea of handing out a draft script and saying wing it but keep on bullet point. But I know a few players at my table who would rather not...but this is an arrow that is for sure going into my DM quiver.

Composer99
2020-09-10, 07:11 PM
It depends on how engaged your players are with the NPCs and the interactions they're spectating. Possibly also your acting skills.

Personally, if I was really invested in those NPCs, it might be a better emotional payoff having the DM act out their interaction. On the other hand, if the DM has neither the talent nor inclination for that particular interaction (40-year-old-man me would probably do a pretty piss-poor job of acting out a mother-and-child reunion, for instance), better to tell and not show.

Best bet? Survey your players.