PDA

View Full Version : Domains of Dread Outside the Demiplane of Dread

kbob
2020-09-10, 12:15 AM
I don't know if anyone has an official answer to this but here it goes. What is 5e's take on the Demiplane of Dread (DoD)? I just saw a YouTube video by Rhexx (for those who are familiar) on "5 Things that You didn't Know About the Tomb of Annihilation" that mentioned there is a place in Chult that is a domain of dread (complete with mists, darklord, and the unfortunate state of not being able to leave). It's in an unmarked region to the west of the Valley of Dread called "Chultan-Gar" (sp?). The southern part that is surrounded by mountains on all sides except for the northern part is entombed in "the mists" and is called Bakumora with a darklord named Fotari. I find it interesting that it is not connected physically to the other domains on the DoD. Did 5e get rid of the idea of the DoD with the domains bordering each other or is this place (I forget its name in Chult) a special case? I do know that Masque of the Red Death was supposed to be on Gothic Earth in 1890s and its believed to be related to the Dark Powers from the DoD but it lacks mists, darklord, and there is no official 5e content. Any Ravenloft-lore sages out there that know the answer?

Millstone85
2020-09-10, 11:05 AM
There is hopefully more in Curse of Strahd, but all I can do is refer to the DMG.
In remote corners of the Shadowfell, it is easy to reach horrific demiplanes ruled over by accursed beings of terrible evil. The best known of these is the valley of Barovia, overlooked by the towering spires of Castle Ravenloft and ruled by Count Strahd von Zarovich, the first vampire.

Beings of the Shadowfell called the Dark Powers created these domains as prisons for these "darklords," and through cruelty or carelessness trapped innocent mortals in these domains as well.
From this, and from what you said, here is my interpretation:

Each domain being its own demiplane, what is found on the Shadowfell is merely a misty portal.
Nothing would prevent such portals to be found on the Prime Material as well, particularly in places from which the Dark Powers originally stole lands.
The mists could likewise transport someone directly from one domain to another, assuming their trapping aspect was somehow circumvented.

kbob
2020-09-10, 09:10 PM
Thanks. Ya, I think that may be the route they are taking, at least for the time being or until they put out an official Ravenloft campaign setting. I know there are maps of the DoD showing the bordering lands; looks like a continent but with mists separating the different countries/Dread Domains (DD). https://aorthe.obsidianportal.com/wikis/the-shadowfell
I think it's interesting that Bakumora is a DD but its not on the above linked map, rather, it is on the island of Chult in Faerun.