PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The use of concealed weapons

Seto
2020-09-10, 09:06 AM
Hello Playground,

I'm GMing a campaign, and one of my players made an Unchained Rogue (Knife Master). She has somewhat of a focus on hiding weapons, then drawing them and stabbing people (Quick Draw (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/quick-draw-combat/), Underhanded (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo-rogue-talents/underhanded-ex/), Deft Palm (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo-rogue-talents/deft-palm-ex)).

Now, as I understand it, by RAW concealed weapons are not that great, or at least not in direct combat. Of course Sleight of Hand to conceal a weapon is valuable in situations when you're infiltrating, spying, or expecting to be frisked. But you don't need any feat or talent to do that, just a good Sleight of Hand score.
In combat, though? Even with Quick Draw, drawing a concealed weapon is a move action. Which makes it impossible to use with Underhanded, as you can't take a move and standard action in the surprise round (unless you're a Bandit Rogue or have the appropriate Wondrous item - I forget the name). You're better off being invisible or something, rather than concealing your weapon. By a very generous interpretation of Deft Palm (ie you're concealing the weapon in your hand rather than on your person), Deft Palm allows you to conceal a weapon without needing to draw it, thus allowing you to... use Underhanded as it seems to be intended. Otherwise, Deft Palm allows you to conceal a weapon while being observed, which... Sleight of Hand (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/sleight-of-hand) totally already lets you do (Hide Object). Besides, it's not like attacking with a concealed weapon grants you sneak attack if your opponent is aware of you, unlike Feinting - as far as I can tell, there's no use in-combat to concealing your weapon.

To sum up:
- Underhanded by itself doesn't work. It needs something that lets you draw and attack in the surprise round, or *maybe* Deft Palm.
- Deft Palm doesn't let you do anything that you couldn't already do with Sleight of Hand. Unless we go with the interpretation that your weapon is concealed in your hand/sleeve, and thus doesn't need to be drawn.
- I'm not sure concealing a weapon has any in-combat use at-all. The rules tell you how to hide your weapon, but don't give any mechanical advantage for it.

My questions are:
1. Is my understanding of RAW correct, or did I miss something big?
2. What items, feats or further talents could I recommend to my player to make the most out of it?
3. Any suggested rule changes? For example, I'm okay with allowing a concealed weapon to make the opponent flat-footed, and thus reap the sneak attack die. It costs a standard action to use Deft Palm anyway, so even that would be underpowered.

Kayblis
2020-09-10, 09:17 AM
The Unchained Sleight of Hand uses allow you to draw a weapon as a Swift Action with a big penalty, from 15 ranks onward.

In 3.5, you can use Sleight of Hand as a Free Action with a -20 penalty. There's a feat called Master Pickpocket that lets you use SoH as a Free Action with a -10 penalty. If you're playing 3.PF, ask your DM for that feat, as it'd add the Free Action functionality. That way, you'll be able to use your features as intended with the appropriate check.

Kurald Galain
2020-09-10, 09:30 AM
You are correct that Deft Palm, as written, does nothing. However, you can conceal a (small) weapon that is already drawn; this is what "palming" means.

The main advantage for hiding a weapon is getting it in areas where you're not supposed to have weapons. It is not meant to be powerful in combat; although you could easily give it an effect similar to feinting or dirty tricks.

And I'd say that anything requiring 15 ranks in whatever, or giving a -20 penalty to the roll, is pretty much useless in most actual campaigns :smallamused:

legomaster00156
2020-09-10, 02:48 PM
A spring-loaded wrist launcher not only lets you hide a weapon (with a +2 bonus), but also retrieve it as a swift action. It costs 5 gp, there's no reason not to have one on each wrist.

Darg
2020-09-10, 03:47 PM
My interpretation is that deft palm allows you to hide an already drawn weapon. Underhanded can be used with an undrawn ammunition thrown weapon such as shuriken. I believe pathfinder still has the free action to draw ammunition rule.

Glaurung
2020-09-10, 04:50 PM
Not sure this helps but you might look at Wave Strike. The feat specifies the first turn of combat but says nothing about a surprise round. It’s probably better used in response to being ambushed.

In 3.5 the skill trick “Flick of the Wrist” (at least that is how I remember it...) might also help if allowed. (Nevermind: I checked this—it’s 3.0 and does not specify the surprise round or help with the action economy).