PDA

View Full Version : Help me create a lvl20 character for a one-shot

sketch4summer
2020-09-10, 11:08 AM
Hello, esteemed playgrounders!
Long-time reader here.

I need your help creating a character for an upcoming game night. It's going to be a couple of Tier 4 one-shots run in a single evening, presumably taken from Adventurers' League materials.

I need to create a level 20 character with the following restrictions: PHB+1, 35000 gold pieces available for mundane items; 3 uncommon, 2 rare and 1 very rare magic items.

The party composition is: Paladin, Cleric, Warlock (presumably tome), Rogue/Ranger (archer build).

My preferences for the character: anything fun and novel would be very appreciated! I want to be decent in combat, but not step onto any of my teammates' toes.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-10, 11:14 AM
A level 20 moon druid is always fun.

Artificer 20 ia also nice with all the magic item.

Monk 17(shadow)/Bladesinger 2/rogue 1 can also be nice(rogue for expertise).

Lore bard 9/ AT rogue 11 is also nice for the craziness of super dispel/counterspell(with 20 cha you get to automatically win VS level 8 spells) and the massive skill monky feel.
Also work with bard 2 and AT 18 if you choose the right wizard spells but it gives you less spell slots.

sketch4summer
2020-09-10, 11:26 AM
A level 20 moon druid is always fun.
Lore bard 9/ AT rogue 11 is also nice for the craziness of super dispel/counterspell(with 20 cha you get to automatically win VS level 8 spells) and the massive skill monky feel.

I really liked that suggestion, so I decided to check if it works. Unfortunately, in 2019 sage advice it has been said that Reliable talent and Jack of all Trades don't interact. But still, a +8 to a dispel magic/counterspell roll is nothing to scoff at! Albeit, at level 20, that's a tad less impressive.

BoutsofInsanity
2020-09-10, 12:04 PM
Oathbreaker Paladin Level 7

Warlock Hexblade - Pact of the Blade Warlock 13.

Hexblade allows you to attack with Charisma to Hit and Damage

Aura of Hate allows you to deal Charisma damage on hit

12th Level Invocation life drinker allows you to deal charisma damage on hit

Grab a shield, take the dueling fighting style and get a +3 longsword and wear fullplate.

You will deal with each swing - 1d8+20 damage each swing and have a 20 AC.

Along with all the spell casting and eldritch blast stuff.

J-H
2020-09-10, 12:13 PM
Totem Barbarian 20 with Pole Arm Master, using a shield. Not sure exactly what your point-buy parameters are, but with non-magical gear and maxed STR, CON, and DEX you start with AC 24. Reckless Attack may not be needed, so that actually makes you super tanky. PAM gives you 3-4 attacks per round.

Take Wolf Totem to give your paladin advantage on his smites, or Bear totem for durability vs. non-physical attacks... Eagle Totem at 14 for flight (ok, really mega-jumps) at your speed each round, so now you're a tanky air-mobile whirlwind of death.

Very Rare: Stat tome?
Rare: Mantle of Spell Resistance
Magical shield & spear
Other "gives options" gear as appropriate.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-10, 12:24 PM
I need to create a level 20 character with the following restrictions: PHB+1, 35000 gold pieces available for mundane items; 3 uncommon, 2 rare and 1 very rare magic items.

The party composition is: Paladin, Cleric, Warlock (presumably tome), Rogue/Ranger (archer build).
Are you allowed to try and craft something with those 35,000 gold?
here's my suggestion
Magic Items:
Belt of Frost Giant Strength. (Very Rare, attune)
Cloak of Displacement (Rare, attune) (you get missed a lot and critted rarely)
Ring of Jumping (Uncommon Attune; at will jump spell)
Broom of Flying (Uncommon-no attune needed)
Potion of Growth (Uncommon) to grapple and shove huge creatures.
Potion of Heroism (rare)
Character:
Wood Elf Rogue 1 Monk 19; key Rogue feature is expertise in Athletics and Stealth, or, expertise in Athletics and Thieve's Tools
Your move speed is 65.
With a Strength of 25 and expertise, you have +19 on your Shove and Grapple checks.
You Jump like a boss. (Triple jump distance plus move plus step of the wind ... wheeeeeeeeeee! )
Where you can't Jump, you can fly.
Your only problem is anti magic fields, yes.
You can stun like a boss.
You can use the Potion of heroism for you or for your ally for the boss fight.
The Bless spell save addition on top of your already strong saves ...

You can help anywhere on the battlefield.
(Alternatively, Level 20 Open hand or Sun Soul with Prodigy as the level 19 feat probably does this too, but two expertise choices seems to me a better ploy for a one shot)

Bobthewizard
2020-09-10, 12:50 PM
Look through this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds) and find something you like. I recommend Ludicsavant's Arcana Cleric or the Nuclear Wizard if it's allowed.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-10, 02:13 PM
I really liked that suggestion, so I decided to check if it works. Unfortunately, in 2019 sage advice it has been said that Reliable talent and Jack of all Trades don't interact. But still, a +8 to a dispel magic/counterspell roll is nothing to scoff at! Albeit, at level 20, that's a tad less impressive.

Yes, if you use it it may be a problem.
Most of my groups are RAW, not RAI games.

sithlordnergal
2020-09-10, 02:18 PM
So, if you want to try a strange build that is surprisingly effective, might I suggest my Undying Barbarian? https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24497507&postcount=27

Resistance to all damage, pretty decent damage dealer, and its a rather unexpected combo. Plus at level 20 you start out with literally everything online. As for magic items...I dunno...Cloak of Protection, +x Weapon, and some armor. You could be really cheeky and take the Staff of Power. Its a Very Rare magical item that requires Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock to attune to it, and gives +2 to attack, damage, saves, and AC, AND you can add 1d6 force damage to any melee attack you make with it. You can use it to cast spells when you're not Raging, and use Armor of Agathys to buff yourself right before combat X3

sketch4summer
2020-09-10, 02:21 PM
Are you allowed to try and craft something with those 35,000 gold?

I am pretty sure that the answer is NO, seeing as it's Adventurers' League. But maybe I can stock up on healing poitions? Supreme ones cost 5000 in the AL Players' Guide.

I was considering the grapple monk build, it might actually be what I'll go with.

@everyone, thank you for your suggestions! If you have more, I will be glad to consider them tomorrow, because now I am too tired to think (end of day for me).

sketch4summer
2020-09-10, 02:27 PM
So, if you want to try a strange build that is surprisingly effective, might I suggest my Undying Barbarian?

Honestly. That looks hillarious and awesome! I'll definitely give it some thought! Thanks!

Eldariel
2020-09-10, 02:30 PM
I definitely recommend either Illusionist 20 or Illusionist 18/Fighter 2. It's rare that you get to go all-out with Illusions and Illusory Reality + Malleable Illusions + Major Image off level 6 slots (permanent so get as many as you want) is just incredibly awesome. Add to that Mirage Arcana and voila. You're basically a god in that you can make whatever you want become reality (and also create images of whatever). It's so rare to get to cut loose with all that cool stuff that I recommend you seize the moment and give it a go. Of course, you're also a Wizard with 9th level spells which means you'll have all the power you could want and then some but you don't obviously need to pull off all the stops. Just naming some spells that give you all sorts of cool abilities:
- Clone [immortality]
- Contingency [unstoppable immediate effect if Bad Thing You Dislike happens]
- Simulacrum [Mini-me, you complete me! Go Dr. Evil with this one...or don't, it does anything, really]
- True Polymorph [You get to be a fairy tale witch! Cut loose and turn that rubble into a golem or whatever]
- Shapechange [Or turn yourself into a dragon that's also still a Wizard! And can also command all those illusions of fiery lakes to become reality so you can go for a swim as a fire immune red]
- Wish [well at least this ensures you get to have a Greater Steed such as a pegasus if nothing else - it can also do literally anything]
- Magic Jar [like possession? Get any body you want, keep it for good, revive in Clone if things go south!]

And so many more! Even lowly Magic Mouth does a lot of useful things (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?539861-The-Arcane-Programmer-Guide-(-Official-Rules-Technique-)). So basically, you can be as strong or weak as you want to be. And you have an infinite amount of cool unique options that nobody else in the game gets. And the party doesn't have a Wizard. So it all seems to work out pretty perfectly.

Other wizards like Chronurgists and Diviners and Abjurers and Necromancers and Transmuters can be cool in this level range too but the most unique and special one IMO is definitely the Illusionist and playing one on this level range is a treat I wouldn't pass on if given the opportunity.

Miele
2020-09-10, 02:34 PM
I'd play a Soulknife (check the Eclectic build thread). It should be phb+scag if I remember correctly. Very tanky with good to really good damage. Make sure you pick your feats wisely and you become THE tank for your party, being a fighter you get a lot of them, so it shouldn't be a problem.

1Pirate
2020-09-10, 08:59 PM
Soulknife isn’t quite PHB+1. It’s MToF, XGTE, and SCAG. You could probably get away with PHB+1 by taking a PHB elf race instead of Shadar Kai and skipping the SCAG cantrips though.

Frogreaver
2020-09-10, 09:19 PM
I definitely recommend either Illusionist 20 or Illusionist 18/Fighter 2. It's rare that you get to go all-out with Illusions and Illusory Reality + Malleable Illusions + Major Image off level 6 slots (permanent so get as many as you want) is just incredibly awesome. Add to that Mirage Arcana and voila. You're basically a god in that you can make whatever you want become reality (and also create images of whatever). It's so rare to get to cut loose with all that cool stuff that I recommend you seize the moment and give it a go. Of course, you're also a Wizard with 9th level spells which means you'll have all the power you could want and then some but you don't obviously need to pull off all the stops. Just naming some spells that give you all sorts of cool abilities:
- Clone [immortality]
- Contingency [unstoppable immediate effect if Bad Thing You Dislike happens]
- Simulacrum [Mini-me, you complete me! Go Dr. Evil with this one...or don't, it does anything, really]
- True Polymorph [You get to be a fairy tale witch! Cut loose and turn that rubble into a golem or whatever]
- Shapechange [Or turn yourself into a dragon that's also still a Wizard! And can also command all those illusions of fiery lakes to become reality so you can go for a swim as a fire immune red]
- Wish [well at least this ensures you get to have a Greater Steed such as a pegasus if nothing else - it can also do literally anything]
- Magic Jar [like possession? Get any body you want, keep it for good, revive in Clone if things go south!]

And so many more! Even lowly Magic Mouth does a lot of useful things (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?539861-The-Arcane-Programmer-Guide-(-Official-Rules-Technique-)). So basically, you can be as strong or weak as you want to be. And you have an infinite amount of cool unique options that nobody else in the game gets. And the party doesn't have a Wizard. So it all seems to work out pretty perfectly.

Other wizards like Chronurgists and Diviners and Abjurers and Necromancers and Transmuters can be cool in this level range too but the most unique and special one IMO is definitely the Illusionist and playing one on this level range is a treat I wouldn't pass on if given the opportunity.

I second Wizard.

Illusionist at that level would be fun.

Personally I'd be playing a War Wizard with Alert. Nearly +15 initiative. You'll almost always go first. The Paladin has a 30ft saving throw aura. Between that and your bonus to saves you will rarely ever fail a save.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-10, 10:26 PM
You already have a tanky melee physical/magic damage (paladin), tanky caster with lots of possibilities (cleric), spell attacker likely with utility rituals (warlock), and ranged physical damage dealer (ranger/rogue).

It really looks like what your party needs is a support spellcaster, a force multiplier, someone who can debuff and crowd control multiple enemies.

The obvious choice is Divination Wizard, but that's a bit cliche. Sorcerer with Heighten is actually pretty good. The Elemental Evil Player's Companion (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf) is official content and thus a valid +1, so a Deep Gnome Abjuration Wizard with Svirfneblin Magic is totally doable.

In any case your very rare should be a Tome of Clear Thought for Int 22 (or Cha for Sorcerer). Rare, probably Elven Chain and Ring of Protection I guess. Uncommon can be Cloak of Protection, Broom of Flying, and maybe something like a dagger of Warning.

Iku Rex
2020-09-11, 03:59 AM
I think starting at level 20 with a complicated character, like a wizard, could get distracting and frustrating. I'd go with a fighter. Possibly with some barbarian thrown in.

One quick suggestion (+XGtE):

Human (Variant) Champion 20
Str 15 [25]
Dex 14
Con 20
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 8

Includes +1 Str, Con (Human), +4 Con (2 ASIs), [Belt of Fire Giant Strength]

Feats (5 ASIs, VHuman)
Lucky
Mage Slayer
Sentinel
Savage Attacker
Great Weapon Master
Prodigy (for Athletics Expertise) (XGtE)

Fighting Style(s):
Great Weapon Fighter
Defense

Items:
Belt of Fire Giant Strength (VR) (A)
Flame Tongue Greatsword (R) (A)
+1 Plate (R)
Winged Boots (UC) (A)
Bag of Holding (UC)
Goggles of Night (UC)

Tactics are straightforward. Move up to the enemy and hit them repeatedly with your sword. Open with a Shove (knockdown) if possible, for Advantage. Lots of crits, lots of damage.

2 levels of barbarian would get you Rage and Reckless Attack. One less ASI and no 4th attack though. More levels of barbarian, up to 9, is also worth considering.

Half-Orc is a fun alternative for race, for better crits, possibly along with the Orcish Fury (XGtE) feat. Works better with a greataxe. Maybe Hill Dwarf w/Tough for the full "I can do this all day" experience.

Other fighter subclasses can give you more options in combat. Echo Knight (EGtW) works well with a barbarian's Reckless Attack. Battle Master is also solid.

KittenMagician
2020-09-11, 04:52 AM
might i suggest the Kuma Ken (japanese for bear fist)
3 levels of totem warrior barbarian (bear) (for reckless attack and resistance to all damage except psychic)
2 levels of rogue (for sneak attack, cunning action, and expertise)
2 levels of Monk (for martial arts, flurry of blows, and unarmored AC)
13 levels of Circle of moon druid (for shapeshifting)

the wording on wild shape is that your capabilities are restricted to your new form, so raging, reckless attack, sneak attack, cunning action, martial arts, and flurry of blows would all be capable in any form pretty much.

rage damage requires you make a strength based attack
sneak attack wants you to use a finesse weapon
martial arts make your hands finesse
bears are pretty strong (so are earth elementals)
going reckless gives advantage which allows sneak attack.
in wild shape you can retain the items as worn by your new form and use any unarmored AC.

with this build stats dont really matter. you only need a 13 in str, dex, and wis. everything else is superfluous focus wisdom for stats though so you can best utilize monk unarmored AC. and if getting at will alter self is that important take one less level in any of them but druid. if getting CR5 beasts is your thing drop 1 level from any 2 of them but druid (just make sure you keep access to reckless attack)

as for items if you want to be a crazy good tank, get the cloak of displacement, and any further items you get is whatever you find thats fun

1Pirate
2020-09-11, 11:10 AM
Martial arts gives you Dex mod to unarmed attacks or attacks with monk weapons. It does not give them the finesse property.

jaappleton
2020-09-11, 11:38 AM
This build was put together by Mike Fehlauer, who used to run they day to day operations Penny Arcade. He posted it back on the official 5E WOTC forums (they shut down the forums like 8 months into 5E's life), and I have it committed to memory. I added in a little tidbit about Elven Accuracy, but full credit goes to him.

Be some sort of Elf. I personally like Eladrin.

Lightning Dragon Sorc 11

Rogue Assassin 3

Tempest Cleric 6

You have heavy armor, proficiency with Con saves, and you still have all the spell slots of a 17th level caster. You can't cast 9th level spells, but you have the full slot progression.

Maximize Chromatic Orb twice per short rest, with Crit damage via Assassin since it doesn't rely on weapon attacks.

So 12d8 becomes 24d8, maximized dealing 192 Thunder damage to a target twice per short rest. And without even dealing with Metamagic shenanigans you might be able to get into. Since so few creatures have resistance to Thunder damage, and its an attack roll, it means Legendary Resistance can do nothing against it and you shouldn't have to worry much at all about resistance to the damage type.

Since its an attack roll, and you can squeeze in Elven Accuracy just for giggles.

All you're using for this is a single spell slot and an instance of Channel Divinity. That's it.

Beyond that, you can maximize Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning to deal with crowds since you're still getting 6th level Sorc spells.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-11, 04:38 PM
But maybe I can stock up on healing poitions? Supreme ones cost 5000 in the AL Players' Guide.

OOh, yeah, good plan. Can't hurt.

sketch4summer
2020-09-11, 06:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I really enjoyed KorvinStarmast's build! I've changed and personalized it a bit, though. So, here it is:

Lvl 20 monk of the 4 elements Yuan-Ti luchadoress called Quincy "The Feathered Serpent" Pepper. She's wearing a Belt of Fire Giant's Strength, a Displacer Cloak and a Ring of Jumping. Her mask is a Mask of the Beast (ToA) that looks like a feathered dragon face, and she has a knack for baking cupcakes (reflavored potions): Superior healing, Invisibility (bought with gold), Heroism, and Growth.

As a monk of the 4 elements, she can fly, lash out with fiery whips (fangs of the fire snake), make rivers of fire and summon the Northern wind to paralyze her foes.

The trick up her sleeve is, of course, the suplex! That is a well-known gimmick, grab an opposing creature and do a running high jump, then float down with Slow Fall. With a STR of 25, ring of jumping activated and step of the wind, she can jump 28x2x3=168 ft. (halved to 84 because of holding another creature). With a natural speed of 60 (step of the wind to make it 120) and 10 feet of running start, that's... 8d6 damage? Ok, maybe not very impressive on level 20, but is probably a lot of fun to play! And if it doesn't work - there is a plenty of other things to do with this character.

I decided against taking a level of rogue for expertise cause I feel like monk's lvl20 ability is going to help me in the upcoming game more. Besides, 20 ki points can be divided by 5 and by 4, maxing my lvl11 and lvl17 casting abilities.

About race - why Yuan-Ti? Just because I think this is neat :) I know it's pretty owerpowered on a CHA build, but for a pure monk it doesn't do much aside from giving resistance to magic. Everything else seems like a nonbo - poison immunity is given by monk 10, spells are keyed off of a dump stat (CHA), has to spend extra ASI to get to DEX and WIS 20. But sometimes you just take stuff for flavor, right? Haha.

Will report how the game went later.

sketch4summer
2020-09-11, 06:29 PM
I think starting at level 20 with a complicated character, like a wizard, could get distracting and frustrating.

That's exactly what I had thought! Although the illusionist looked really interesting, I just didn't feel like going through all the spells! Besides, I do have an illusionist in another game that may become lvl 20 in the future.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-11, 07:19 PM
Will report how the game went later.
I love your idea, and I am looking forward to your 'after action report' on how it went.
Hope it's a lot of fun :smallsmile:

Eldariel
2020-09-12, 02:59 PM
That's exactly what I had thought! Although the illusionist looked really interesting, I just didn't feel like going through all the spells! Besides, I do have an illusionist in another game that may become lvl 20 in the future.

OTOH if you already have an illusionist, you've done much of the work for it already; and on such level, you needn't necessary worry about being optimal as much as having a blast (or testing future stuff out for your other illusionist) so you needn't go through more spells than you use. But of course, make sure to enjoy yourself: that's the important part!

arnin77
2020-09-13, 11:00 AM
Based on your party composition I would suggest a level 20 bear totem barbarian. 24 strength and con without magic items. Use your magic items to round out your defenses (I.e cloak and amulet of protection for saves and Ac since they stack and stand next to Paladin while tanking for +4/5 to saves) I believe there is a magic item that gives resistance to psychic damage and goggles of night for dark vision) - maybe variant human for tough feat (325 hps at level 20; basically 650 while raging); then get a +3 battle axe (+16 to hit, 1d12+10/14 while raging)

If you don’t like barbs, level 20 moon Druid and they are more versatile; but I like barbs :)