PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Caean and Uzotl the two faced God

dantiesilva
2020-09-10, 11:08 PM
In my homebrew world one of my nations is run by merchants and over time they have "created" their own deity (just above demigod power, if barely). With the domains Craft, Creation, Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Lust, Pact, Pride, Trade, Travel, and Wealth how would you split these domains between the deities two sides while keeping a mostly neutral outlook between the two?

This kingdom is known for its wooden objects, whether they be worked, or simply logs exported this kingdom is the best. Because of that they keep on cutting down more and more trees and deforesting their own kingdom to get more money. The main professions all deal with lumber and they are more than willing to import food and worked metal tools rather then go mining or large scale farming (add in their land is divided by a forested mountain range and on both sides of said mountain the forest is slowly becoming desert basically because of the lack of care for the land). Because of this five druid circles have joined forces to try and put a stop to the merchants who rule said land, whoever that is a story for another time.

The main people of the land would be crafters, traders, and merchants of some kind and would constantly be trying to move up the social ladder which is easy simply have more money then the next guy. If you become richer than one of the Lords of Haven you take their place. It's a very chaotic system however their are enough rules in place where I wouldn't place the deity they worshiped as a chaotic being. However the people are thus also greedy, always wanting more than they have, and envy and lust after the riches those above them have. Most merchants tend to take pride in their work and would fight someone for insulting them or their work.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who takes the time to look at this and help me.

EDIT/UPDATE

Caean the trader was once a mortal like anyone else. Worked from morning till dusk crafting wares to sell to the wealthy. However no matter how good the product was those in power always looked down on the lowly trader Caean. For Caean was not a noble, Caean had no title to speak of. Caean was a nobody merchant simply trying to peddle what the simple merchant made. And while kings and nobles alike all wished to buy Caean's goods, the merchant was simply a merchant and nothing more.

Soon Caean became envies of those above, after all how could they claim to be better when they paid for the wears Caean brought? They made nothing with their hands and took everything for granted. It was at that moment the merchant realized to beat the nobles one must become richer than the nobles. And so Caean spent weeks crafting all kinds of odds and ends, silly little things that only a noble would buy. When a month had gone by Caean, dressed in the best clothes money could buy, traveled from noble to noble selling the wonders that had been made. Each time charging a little more than the last until the last item was sold. With more gold then the merchant could count, Caean made the long trip back to the workshop and began again, and once more seemed to vanish for a month.

During this time the nobles all bragged about their newest additions to their collections, each pointing out the masterpieces they had bought from Caean. And as they continued to talk and gloat, their prides soon got in their way as each began to say how they had out paid the last person who had spoken and thus they held the greatest item the merchant had made. And so once more Caean came to them, and once more they paid whatever price the petty merchant asked. After all what was gold to them, they were the rich, the elite, of noble blood.

The cycle continued like this many times, each time the nobles became more desperate for the next big item until at last they were sending requests to the merchant to make them grand items that no real person needed, however their greed and pride demanded. And Caean obliged, each and every request until at last the nobles coffers ran dry. All this time the nobles had been spending their money on the merchants goods, Caean in turn had been investing it into the tools that would be needed in the years to come. So when the nobles went to replenish their coffers by raising the taxes, it was Caean who stood before them. Caean offered to erase all their debt so long as they would acknowledge him and all other merchants as nobles. The idea was outlandish and as expected the nobles all refused. "You have left me no other option than. If the system will not bend it will be broken." said the merchant furious that even now they could not see the error of their ways. And as if on cue the knights of each lord who had families of their own that were starving turned on their former masters and placed them in manacles. For it was Caean who had been providing for their families for the past few months, not the nobles, and they knew the merchant would be fair compared to the nobles they had served.

The next day before the entire city of Wychelm, Caean had the nobles executed as he had bread handed out to all the people in the streets. It is said after this Caean made a deal with six other merchants of considerable wealth and skill as his own and town by town they eliminated any pocket resistance they meet of the old regime until from what stories say the last heir of King Hawthorn fled to Kaiju island, rather to face the monsters over the people who the family once ruled.

For the next thirty years the kingdom prospered under the rule of the Seven Lords of Haven. Merchants from all over the world flooded to the new capital, Silini's Blossom to sell their wares and make a name for themselves and even climb the new social ladder that did not care if you were of noble blood or a peasant, only what you had or didn't have. The great forests that once covered most of the kingdom were slowly disappearing, being cut down by lumberjacks to be sold to craftsmen, to be then sold to traveling merchants, and lastly all over the world. It was a system that rewarded those who worked hard and more than once a Lord of Haven was replaced by another merchant who in the end became richer than the previous lord of Haven.

WIP

Yanagi
2020-09-10, 11:25 PM
In my homebrew world one of my nations is run by merchants and over time they have "created" their own deity (just above demigod power, if barely). With the domains Craft, Creation, Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Lust, Pact, Pride, Trade, Travel, and Wealth how would you split these domains between the deities two sides while keeping a mostly neutral outlook between the two?

This kingdom is known for its wooden objects, whether they be worked, or simply logs exported this kingdom is the best. Because of that they keep on cutting down more and more trees and deforesting their own kingdom to get more money. The main professions all deal with lumber and they are more than willing to import food and worked metal tools rather then go mining or large scale farming (add in their land is divided by a forested mountain range and on both sides of said mountain the forest is slowly becoming desert basically because of the lack of care for the land). Because of this five druid circles have joined forces to try and put a stop to the merchants who rule said land, whoever that is a story for another time.

The main people of the land would be crafters, traders, and merchants of some kind and would constantly be trying to move up the social ladder which is easy simply have more money then the next guy. If you become richer than one of the Lords of Haven you take their place. It's a very chaotic system however their are enough rules in place where I wouldn't place the deity they worshiped as a chaotic being. However the people are thus also greedy, always wanting more than they have, and envy and lust after the riches those above them have. Most merchants tend to take pride in their work and would fight someone for insulting them or their work.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who takes the time to look at this and help me.

I'd split it like this:

Gluttony, Greed, Wealth, Pride, Pact, Creation

...for the side of the god that represents that values and priorities of those who are already entrenched in positions of wealth and power: the god of capital holders and management.

versus

Envy, Lust, Trade, Travel, Craft, Greed
...for the side of the god that represents of values and priorities of those who are trying to claw their way up, aspiring to an unassailable position: the god of the wage labor, entrepreneurs, and hustlers.

For many people in this society as described, both "sides" of the god would be relevant to their values: if you're midway up the social hierarchy, you've got people below you to keep tamped down, but people above you to appease until such time as you can overturn them.

dantiesilva
2020-09-11, 09:21 PM
That split makes a lot of sense and as it would be the kingdoms main god I like how you showed that it is relevant from the lowest of peasants all the way up to the Lords of Haven themselves. My first thought is that this would be a demon lord, however why would an entire kingdom worship a demon lord never mind what demon has ever showed an interest in crafting? So after thinking about this for the entire day I came up with the god was in fact once a simple mortal who worked his way up the ladder much as he expects his followers to do. Eventually the thought of mortality and the fact all his wealth would be lost and spent by another he deemed unworthy he made a deal with a demon/devil/extraplanar being. However trying to cheat the other being out of their share they didn't follow the ritual exactly and the two beings fused into one new being who had the personality of both beings fighting within often for control, thus the dual deity. What do you think? Any suggestions on a said being that would suit the idea and have enough power to make said person into a demigod type powered creature?