PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Bulettes, Deadly Leap and Space

Cheesegear
2020-09-11, 01:06 AM
If a Bulette uses Deadly Leap, enters a another creature's space and knocks one more creatures Prone, is it still forced to move again to avoid ending its move in another creature's space?

Surely, the intent seems to be that the Bulette, in effect, Pounces on its prey, knocks them Prone and continues to maul them. But it has no ability - like a Swarm - that allows it to occupy another creature's space.

Hellpyre
2020-09-11, 01:34 AM
The rest of the ability seems to imply that the creature can share the Bulette's space so long as that creature is prone, but I'm not sure if that is a design assumption that got playtested away but missed on this creature, a specific rule only for an edge case, or intended normal behavior.

Imbalance
2020-09-11, 10:17 AM
Yeah, weird that creatures only get pushed out of their space on a save, though it does say that if no space is available to get pushed into, creatures fall prone in the bulette's space. Sounds like a specific exception.

Now I have to wonder what happens if a bulette leaps on a beholder.

Hellpyre
2020-09-11, 04:56 PM
Now I have to wonder what happens if a bulette leaps on a beholder.

I'm imagining it awkwardly trying to balance as the Beholder continues to float in place, stunned by the audacity.

Cheesegear
2020-09-11, 05:05 PM
Yeah, weird that creatures only get pushed out of their space on a save, though it does say that if no space is available to get pushed into, creatures fall prone in the bulette's space. Sounds like a specific exception.

Does it?
It sounds like if there's no space available, a creature just goes Prone anyway in the Bulette's space - and now the Bulette has to move. There's nothing specific about it.