PDA

View Full Version : Battlesmith guide?

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-11, 03:18 AM
I've had a character concept for a High Elf Artificer, leaning on Lord of the Rings concepts of Celebrimbor etc. I imagine High Elven Artifice to be less steampunk/magitech and more mithral, crystals, and moonlight. But I'm not sure how to "do" Artificers at levels 4 to 5. They don't have enough spells for that to be their main action in combat. Their infusions are mostly passive. How should I build and play one?

chainer1216
2020-09-11, 03:28 AM
Battlesmiths are the fighter-EST of the subclasses, the way you play one at lvls 4 and 5 is you use a weapon to attack and have your steel defender attack with your bonus, sprinkling in spells as needed.

Personally I like using a ranged option like a crossbow or longbow with the reloading property infusion.

AttilatheYeon
2020-09-11, 03:36 AM
Battlesmiths are the fighter-EST of the subclasses, the way you play one at lvls 4 and 5 is you use a weapon to attack and have your steel defender attack with your bonus, sprinkling in spells as needed.

Personally I like using a ranged option like a crossbow or longbow with the reloading property infusion.

Heavy x-bow that can be shot twice a turn is very nice.

Waazraath
2020-09-11, 03:44 AM

Or hand x-bow with shield.

kaervaak
2020-09-11, 11:52 AM
Or a pistol with repeating shot infusion and a shield for that d10 damage and +2 AC

Dork_Forge
2020-09-11, 01:25 PM
I tend to go either hand crossbow (repeating shot) and a shield or a spear (returning weapon) and shield, keeping the Steel Defender by my side to leverage the Defensive Pounce the most. Spells will mostly be used in a support/utility/control capacity when you need to, but I often found myself with ample slots left over (though I took V. Human and Healer instead of relying on Cure Wounds).

Pump Int as your focus, with Flash of Genius coming up later and your ribbon ability tying into it, there's too much to gain from it (imo) to be grabbing a feat at 4th level. If at 8th level you want to grab a feat then sure, working with a +4 Int isn't as bad but personally I'd want that max Int as soon as possible. A Fighter dip (1-4) will net you a lot of benefits should you want to multiclass.

MeeposFire
2020-09-11, 11:58 PM
There is also the kobold riding their defender. Take mounted combat and the kobold can help protect the defender while the defender protects the kobold while pack tactics will give constant advantage on attack rolls with your weapons.

Satori01
2020-09-12, 02:27 AM
Out of genuine curiosity, why is shooting a heavy crossbow twice per round, more fun with a Battlesmith, then any other class?

Arkhios
2020-09-12, 03:16 AM
Out of genuine curiosity, why is shooting a heavy crossbow twice per round, more fun with a Battlesmith, then any other class?

Everyone else need a feat to do what an Artificer is able to do with a class feature. Battlesmith being the one that gets Extra Attack makes it best subclass for this.

Razgriez
2020-09-12, 07:09 PM
Everyone else need a feat to do what an Artificer is able to do with a class feature. Battlesmith being the one that gets Extra Attack makes it best subclass for this.

Pretty much this. Rogue (particularly of the Rogue's Scout and Arcane Trickster with ready access to Haste subclass options) is the next best option, since as far as I know, the RAW is that reloading a crossbow is part of the Attack, so the Bonus Action attack with Sudden Strike would let you fire again, as would the additional action afforded by Haste. (Fighters can also do this with Action Surge, but have also picked up Crossbow Expert already, or Multi-class with Artificer for the Repeating Shot Infusion.

But: Rogue can get rather needy for its Bonus Action or difficult to keep various magical effects running, and while the Fighter carrying a Semi-Auto Crossbow is neat (Or going Hand-Crossbow Slinger/Sword and Crossbow, etc etc), not everyone is sold on investing all the levels to bring that fully up to par.

Battlesmith Artificer lets you do the crossbow wielding theme pretty decently, and throws in some nice additional class features, while doing it very smoothly with very few leveling gaps.

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-13, 05:32 AM

Cool, what sort of spells work well with that build? Is it better to send the Defender into melee while you stay back, or to stand together with it?

That is nice!

Or hand x-bow with shield.

Doesn't the infusion only let you ignore the Reloading quality, not the Ammunition quality, so you still need two hands to reload?

I tend to go either hand crossbow (repeating shot) and a shield or a spear (returning weapon) and shield, keeping the Steel Defender by my side to leverage the Defensive Pounce the most. Spells will mostly be used in a support/utility/control capacity when you need to, but I often found myself with ample slots left over (though I took V. Human and Healer instead of relying on Cure Wounds).

Pump Int as your focus, with Flash of Genius coming up later and your ribbon ability tying into it, there's too much to gain from it (imo) to be grabbing a feat at 4th level. If at 8th level you want to grab a feat then sure, working with a +4 Int isn't as bad but personally I'd want that max Int as soon as possible. A Fighter dip (1-4) will net you a lot of benefits should you want to multiclass.

Cool, what spells do you use? Do you seek to buff the Defender?

Battlesmith Artificer lets you do the crossbow wielding theme pretty decently, and throws in some nice additional class features, while doing it very smoothly with very few leveling gaps.

What about this works especially well at 4th and 5th level?

Dork_Forge
2020-09-13, 09:07 AM
Doesn't the infusion only let you ignore the Reloading quality, not the Ammunition quality, so you still need two hands to reload?

The crossbow magically creates it's own ammunition under the infusion, so RAW and RAI you can just one hand it.

Cool, what spells do you use? Do you seek to buff the Defender?

I like to keep Cure Wounds on hand in case things go really bad, Alarm, Detect Magic and Grease. 2nd level I like Aid, Invisibility, Continual Flame (precast on something, not prepared), Web and Enlarge/Reduce. I typically Aid the party, I'll only include the Steel Defender in that if I'm having to tank for the party (in that case me, SD and the squishiest party member) and maybe for big fights Enlarge it. I like taking the Homunculus infusion and casting invisibility on it for overwatch or scouting too.

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-13, 09:55 AM
The crossbow magically creates it's own ammunition under the infusion, so RAW and RAI you can just one hand it.

The Ammunition quality specifies "you need a free hand to load a one-handed weapon", so it's irrelevant where the ammunition comes from?

I like to keep Cure Wounds on hand in case things go really bad, Alarm, Detect Magic and Grease. 2nd level I like Aid, Invisibility, Continual Flame (precast on something, not prepared), Web and Enlarge/Reduce. I typically Aid the party, I'll only include the Steel Defender in that if I'm having to tank for the party (in that case me, SD and the squishiest party member) and maybe for big fights Enlarge it. I like taking the Homunculus infusion and casting invisibility on it for overwatch or scouting too.

That's really helpful, thank you!

Dork_Forge
2020-09-13, 10:36 AM
The Ammunition quality specifies "you need a free hand to load a one-handed weapon", so it's irrelevant where the ammunition comes from?

The infusion reads:
If you load no ammunition in the weapon, it produces
its own, automatically creating one piece of magic am*
munition when you make a ranged attack with it. The
ammunition created by the weapon vanishes the instant
after it hits or misses a target.

So it calls out that you don't load ammunition into it.

Klorox
2020-09-13, 10:49 AM
There is also the kobold riding their defender. Take mounted combat and the kobold can help protect the defender while the defender protects the kobold while pack tactics will give constant advantage on attack rolls with your weapons.

OMG it’s awesome.

This has to be done!!!

Razgriez
2020-09-13, 12:15 PM
What about this works especially well at 4th and 5th level?

Ah, sorry for not clarifying on the levels you requested info on originally:

Levels 1 and 2: You standard Class Introductory. Level 1 is going to be the obvious rough point, because you need a free hand to use your spellcasting focus (Thief or other Artisan tool you have proficiency with). Thankfully, level 2 solves this issue, because An infused item you're carrying counts as a spell casting focus for you. And you're going to obviously be taking Repeating Shot infusion on your crossbow (there goes the free hand issue baring needing to use other items! Though hopefully your DM is favorable to letting you hold a two handed weapon in one hand to use a potion or the like)

Alternatively, if you want to stick with bows for the LotR Elven design, get a Shortbow instead.

You'll also have to contend to using your Dex for the time being, but you hopefully invested a few points here for AC and skill checks anyways + Elven bonuses (not like you need much once you have Medium Armor access).

I highly recommend picking up a mobility option for one of your standby 1st level spells, which may also coincide with that LotR Elves style swiftness you're looking for.

3rd, You get battlesmith, which means you can now focus on pumping your Intelligence up for your weapon attacks with your infused weapons (or magic weapons you may pick up along the way). Obviously, you'll have your Steel Defender with you and can use your Bonus action to let the Defender attack as well.
wi
4th is your ASI, Pump Intelligence here, and keep doing so with ASI until you hit 20 Intelligence

5th: Extra Attack for you, + 2nd level spells become available.

You also have Bonus spells known and always prepared at 3rd and 5th level from the Battlesmith.

If you prefer Melee instead, swap out Bow for a Sword (or hammer/hammer-like weapon for your Celebrimbor theme), and pick up Enhanced Weapon and I'd recommend Enhanced Defense as your 2nd infusion.

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-14, 03:03 AM
Ah, sorry for not clarifying on the levels you requested info on originally:

Levels 1 and 2: You standard Class Introductory. Level 1 is going to be the obvious rough point, because you need a free hand to use your spellcasting focus (Thief or other Artisan tool you have proficiency with). Thankfully, level 2 solves this issue, because An infused item you're carrying counts as a spell casting focus for you. And you're going to obviously be taking Repeating Shot infusion on your crossbow (there goes the free hand issue baring needing to use other items! Though hopefully your DM is favorable to letting you hold a two handed weapon in one hand to use a potion or the like)

Alternatively, if you want to stick with bows for the LotR Elven design, get a Shortbow instead.

You'll also have to contend to using your Dex for the time being, but you hopefully invested a few points here for AC and skill checks anyways + Elven bonuses (not like you need much once you have Medium Armor access).

I highly recommend picking up a mobility option for one of your standby 1st level spells, which may also coincide with that LotR Elves style swiftness you're looking for.

3rd, You get battlesmith, which means you can now focus on pumping your Intelligence up for your weapon attacks with your infused weapons (or magic weapons you may pick up along the way). Obviously, you'll have your Steel Defender with you and can use your Bonus action to let the Defender attack as well.

4th is your ASI, Pump Intelligence here, and keep doing so with ASI until you hit 20 Intelligence

5th: Extra Attack for you, + 2nd level spells become available.

You also have Bonus spells known and always prepared at 3rd and 5th level from the Battlesmith.

If you prefer Melee instead, swap out Bow for a Sword (or hammer/hammer-like weapon for your Celebrimbor theme), and pick up Enhanced Weapon and I'd recommend Enhanced Defense as your 2nd infusion.

This is really great, thank you.

One sense I'm getting is that Battle Smiths are the most "selfish" Artificers, needing to use their infusions and spells mostly on themselves/Defender to stay competitive. Is that fair do you think?

Razgriez
2020-09-15, 07:42 PM

One sense I'm getting is that Battle Smiths are the most "selfish" Artificers, needing to use their infusions and spells mostly on themselves/Defender to stay competitive. Is that fair do you think?

Not quite. Your Battlesmith Bonus spells have a few party support, Aura effects, defensive bonuses, etc. Its not quite to the level of healing as Alchemist, but its certainly better than Artillerist (which is primarily AoE/Offensive). Don't forget, your Defender exist not only for additional damage, but can heal others with Arcane Jolt in the mid levels, and even starting at level 3, creates some area control by giving you another threat zone, mark targets for Rogue Sneak Attacks, and deflect away attacks from allies.

The Infusions, sorta. it always depends on how many magic items the party finds and how its getting distributed. Melee Battlesmiths definitely will find them selves using multiple infusions on themselves to supplement their ability to stay on the front line.

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-16, 05:06 AM
Yeah the infusion thing I'm definitely feeling from having done a couple of experimental builds. You basically have to put one on your weapon, both for the boost directly and in order to use it as a spell focus. And you only have two of them.

Out of interest, has anyone who's played an Artificer found themselves changing out which infusions they are using, from rest to rest?

AttilatheYeon
2020-09-16, 05:25 AM
Yeah the infusion thing I'm definitely feeling from having done a couple of experimental builds. You basically have to put one on your weapon, both for the boost directly and in order to use it as a spell focus. And you only have two of them.

Out of interest, has anyone who's played an Artificer found themselves changing out which infusions they are using, from rest to rest?

All the damn time! But i played with a group of noobs to 5e, so the things i expected not to have to do, i had to do.

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-16, 05:28 AM
All the damn time! But i played with a group of noobs to 5e, so the things i expected not to have to do, i had to do.

Oh? Like what? :)

x3n0n
2020-09-16, 07:21 AM

My understanding is that you start with 4 known-infusion slots, and that you get to actually infuse 2 per day, up to a limit of one per known infusion, for a total of 4.

So you can infuse a weapon and one other thing on the first day of 2nd level, and two more things in the second day.

By 3rd level, I like my white room Battlesmith to have a weapon (for the reasons you mentioned) and armor (for front-line work if melee) for him/herself. The other two go to party needs (like a second weapon or a Bag of Holding).

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-16, 08:12 AM
My understanding is that you start with 4 known-infusion slots, and that you get to actually infuse 2 per day, up to a limit of one per known infusion, for a total of 4.

So you can infuse a weapon and one other thing on the first day of 2nd level, and two more things in the second day.

By 3rd level, I like my white room Battlesmith to have a weapon (for the reasons you mentioned) and armor (for front-line work if melee) for him/herself. The other two go to party needs (like a second weapon or a Bag of Holding).

"If you try to exceed your maximum number of infusions, the oldest infusion immediately ends"

x3n0n
2020-09-16, 08:28 AM
"If you try to exceed your maximum number of infusions, the oldest infusion immediately ends"

I had naively assumed that dndbeyond handled it correctly (letting me infuse all 4 at level 2), and had (incorrectly) inferred the "infused items" column to be only the per-long-rest limit, and the only real limitation to be "only one item per known infusion".

Thank you!

Mr Adventurer
2020-09-16, 10:19 AM
I feel like it's a real choice! As a Battle Smith, the obvious thing to do is to infuse your armour and your weapon - and feel cagy about changing those out since they'll undercut your preferred combat style.

Mjolnirbear
2020-09-18, 01:17 AM

When I played my Artillerist, I didn't use single infusion on anyone else and used my spell slots mostly for cannons. The other spell slots were on Shield or spells like Thunderwave. I'm pretty sure I used Cure Wounds once.

The character was moral and unselfish, but his class features were not shared.

I haven't yet played a cleric this edition, but if I do, I'll play it similarly. When I want to play a support character, I'll probably do an alchemist. Or possibly a god-wizard.