PDA

View Full Version : Rime of the Frostmaiden: preview/review video

Unoriginal
2020-09-11, 09:19 AM
I saw that the youtube channel The Gaming Gang had two (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyH6uIVPrfc) videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ife4cLxbMzY) reading and reviewing the upcoming adventure module Rime of the Frostmaiden. I don't agree with all of his conclusions (mostly due to having different gaming tastes) but I still found it interesting.

There is a full view of the table of content, although of too poor resolution for me to discerne most of the words.

Obviously there is basically nothing but spoilers, so beware if you're interested more as a player.

GlenSmash!
2020-09-11, 11:56 AM
I really enjoyed the page through.

I'm a sucker for arctic settings so I'm excited to play this one.

Unoriginal
2020-09-11, 12:13 PM
I really enjoyed the page through.

I'm a sucker for arctic settings so I'm excited to play this one.

I don't have a particular love for arctic settings, but I'm hyped for this campaign.

Only arctic setting I remember being that interested in before is the one for the second campaign of the old D&D board game.

jaappleton
2020-09-11, 12:54 PM
What I'm most excited for is "How much did they learn?" compared to their last adventure.

I loved the concept of Avernus but enemies having so many resistances to such common damage types made it frustrating, and the whole 'Its a big fetch quest' aspect to it certainly didn't help.

Compare how Avernus is essentially a narrow hallway to how CoS is often *too* open if your DM doesn't at least point you in the general vicinity (My group bumped into Baba Lysaga at 4th level...), I'm very intrigued to see if the adventure fixes or avoids a lot of those issues.

I've heard that they got rid of the "Enemies resist a ton of common damage types" problem. So that in itself is a big relief.

Evaar
2020-09-11, 07:14 PM
Any eagle eyed spotters able to make out the Blade of Disaster at 24:39 into the page-through video? I can't tell what level it is. I do see that it says "spell attack" so it's likely not a gish-friendly spell like Shadow Blade, but just curious if it looks useful.

Ogeeogelthorpe
2020-09-11, 09:20 PM
Any eagle eyed spotters able to make out the Blade of Disaster at 24:39 into the page-through video? I can't tell what level it is. I do see that it says "spell attack" so it's likely not a gish-friendly spell like Shadow Blade, but just curious if it looks useful.

It's a 9th level spell, so gish spell is no.

It takes a bonus action to cast and is concentration. You can make 2 spell attacks that deal 4D12 force damage with it. It crits on an 18-19-20 and deals a total of 12D12 on a crit instead of 8D12.

I think they made this spell as a result of WoTC learning how to actually scale and manage T3 and T4 encounters. In season 9 mods the late T3 and T4 modules sent waves of enemies at the party that the good old 'meteor swarm' or multiple fireball tactic wouldn't have been able to solve as easily as it did boss fights in S7 and S8.

Unoriginal
2020-09-12, 03:35 AM
I've heard that they got rid of the "Enemies resist a ton of common damage types" problem. So that in itself is a big relief.

A good number of the storyline's antagonists aren't even resistant to cold, at least.

Although it is likely a good share of the local monsters in the bestiary are.

Spriteless
2020-09-12, 09:00 AM
10 town maps of various sizes, 10 tavern and trade post descriptions, some adventures, some cold weather survival rules... shoot I might want to talk with my players about this I went from "I'll wait for Caldron of Everything" to "Maybe..."