PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making a Robot-Riding Cavalier class option/archetype?

Destro2119
2020-09-12, 03:47 PM
For my upcoming future campaign, I am trying to design an archetype that allows cavaliers to ride robots as mounts.

For a little bit of background info, cavaliers in this campaign can choose between "normal" mounts or motorized mounts (think speederbikes or motorcycles). The differences of the latter are that motorized mounts get an additional x ft. to speed, but they have less effective nat. attacks.

So what would such a archetype entail? I figure that I will have to swap out some skills for Kn (engineering) and Cr (Mechanical), but I'm not sure what else to give up for the class without gutting it.

I also wonder how to handle the robot. Should it be like a summoner's eidolon (instead of evolution points you get construction points) or like the standard advancing familiar?

Any help you can give is welcome.

Kris Moonhand
2020-09-13, 05:08 AM
I know of two things like that! First is the Rancer (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/rancer) archetype from Gonzo. Second is Mech/Technological Companions (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Mech_Companions) from Arcforge. If it were me, I'd use the Rancer AT but replace the Orthella's stats with the motorcycle companion from Arcforge (and keep the special orthella ability).

Florian
2020-09-13, 06:28 AM
I also wonder how to handle the robot. Should it be like a summoner's eidolon (instead of evolution points you get construction points) or like the standard advancing familiar?

I think you should first make up your mind whether the difference between animal and robot has any special meaning.

Your bog standard Cavalier can already upgrade the standard Animal Companion by using WBL. Basically, you can also grab that feat line that grants you evolution points when you want to upgrade beyond that. Point being, the Cavalier is still front and center here, not the "horse".

Else you would actually have to come up with a "martial" archetype for the Summoner class, like "Robot Knight" that would give up spellcasting for more regular martial abilities, but the "horse" is front and center here.

Destro2119
2020-09-13, 10:51 AM
The main difference is that robots can, thematically, have integrated machine guns/lasers or force fields and whatnot. I am asking for a way to do that for cavalier without making the "mount" OP.

Florian
2020-09-13, 11:13 AM
The main difference is that robots can, thematically, have integrated machine guns/lasers or force fields and whatnot. I am asking for a way to do that for cavalier without making the "mount" OP.

Feats and WBL. Lasers and Force Feats are something a regular character can buy and equip, so no reason not to buy and equip that on a robot.