PDA

View Full Version : Peasant Railgun and other stuff help

blackjack50
2020-09-12, 06:53 PM
So a friend is running a one shot game where as long as the letter of the law is followed...it is legal. One person is already planning to make a peasant cannon:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Peasant_Railgun

So what I’m wondering is what OTHER game breaking silliness is out there?

Bobthewizard
2020-09-12, 09:09 PM
I have a concern with the peasant railgun. If you are going to ignore physics for the speed of the projectile then why should you use physics for the damage? If it moves as far as you want based on RAW, then by RAW it should just be an improvised weapon and do 1d4 damage, no matter how far it travels.

MaxWilson
2020-09-12, 09:57 PM
I have a concern with the peasant railgun. If you are going to ignore physics for the speed of the projectile then why should you use physics for the damage? If it moves as far as you want based on RAW, then by RAW it should just be an improvised weapon and do 1d4 damage, no matter how far it travels.

This, and also if you have two thousand peasant minions you could just give them all longbows and do 2000d8 (9000) damage that way, times hit rate.

cutlery
2020-09-12, 10:37 PM
The peasant rail gun is amusing, but it still effectively works exactly as if it were a weapon held and thrown by the last peasant, RAW, and since RAW weirdness is the idea, I don’t think this fits the bill.

Hytheter
2020-09-12, 11:31 PM
It's not really a railgun so much as a high speed transport system.

Sigreid
2020-09-13, 12:56 AM
I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't about a gun to fire peasants at the monsters.

Avonar
2020-09-13, 01:17 AM
The Centaur Stack.

You count as one size category larger to determine your capacity to carry, push and drag. However, when climbing, each foot of movement costs you +4 extra movement instead of the normal +1 foot. You can allow a creature of Medium or smaller size to ride on your back, but you still act independently when you have a rider.

It is mechanically legal to have a centaur riding a centaur riding a centaur riding a centaur. They are all medium creatures that can be ridden by medium creatures. It's absolute nonsense and would never be allowed, but technically it works.

Zhorn
2020-09-13, 01:25 AM
...as long as the letter of the law is followed...it is legal.
Where the letter of the law is followed... up until the moment it is ignored, substituted in a ruling from an older editions, then ignored again, and then finished with a physics equivalent game mechanic ignoring the impossibility of the creatures involved being unable to operate at such a speeds...

Don't get me wrong, I love the peasant rail gun as a thought experiment, and as something to joke about with other players. But it really isn't RAW compliant, nor is it an efficient use of resources nor practical.

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-13, 07:33 AM

This. I once began work on a joke setting where the Commoner Teleporter linked all cities and was the main source of employment in the country. Monster attacks were dealt with members of the teleporter sending word when monsters appeared, and because talking is a free action six seconds later every guardhouse and adventurer's guild in the country is notified. For low level threats guards are sent, high level ones get adventurers.

Because the average person can lift a person (even if they cannot move while holding them) they can pass them along. Therefore two guards/adventurers could arrive per round to deal with the monster.

The main downside was the occasional delay at intersections. And I never finished the setting because I could already set the joke becoming unfunny.

Monks can use coordinated grabs for a speed boost. Not to the old grapple Ball of sites levels, but at higher levels the additional movement speed is more than the penalty for grappling. I did once work out the maths somewhere in this forum (I think a previous Commoner Tailfin thread), I think the best results used Cunning Action to Dash and double your effective Speed (yes this is a trick that requires two characters to have rather specific builds to get a relatively minor boost to effective Speed compared to a character just taking the Dash action).

Mikal
2020-09-13, 07:47 AM

Not even this works.
Combat rounds, raw, only occur in combat. Otherwise you use narrative time.

In addition, you’d have to have everyone coordinated to ready an action each time to hand it off, since you can’t coordinate initiative rolls that are going to be different.

Finally, you’d literally have to have hundreds of people sitting around doing nothing, waiting for this to happen, before it even starts.

So sorry, that’s not how the raw works.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-13, 08:21 AM
A raging barbarian druid in wildshape can concentrate on spells because rage only prevent you from casting and concentrate on spells if you are able to cast them and a druid before level 18 makes you unable to cast spells in wildshape.

It is an unintentional resolution of the rules.

You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.

If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Also work with every other non spell concentration ability.

noob
2020-09-13, 08:32 AM
Not even this works.

In addition, you’d have to have everyone coordinated to ready an action each time to hand it off, since you can’t coordinate initiative rolls that are going to be different.

Finally, you’d literally have to have hundreds of people sitting around doing nothing, waiting for this to happen, before it even starts.

So sorry, that’s not how the raw works.

Well you can make all those people be involved in combat constantly: it is not too hard.
And a lone epic adventurer team gains enough money to pay thousands of non qualified people to wait full time assuming they do defeat one encounter that represents a sixth of the standard xp budget per day.

A raging barbarian druid in wildshape can concentrate on spells because rage only prevent you from casting and concentrate on spells if you are able to cast them and a druid before level 18 makes you unable to cast spells in wildshape.
I was arguing on that side (but with tenser transformation before raging and concentrating on tenser transformation which is still bad because you invested tons of wizard levels and so you are poor at fighting) and all the people ignored raw while it was a discussion about raw and instead constantly told it did not make sense or that casting and concentrating was the same thing (which they are not in the rules as written) and so on(some going nearly as far as even arguing that tenser transformation prevents concentrating on tenser transformation).

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-13, 09:19 AM
Well you can make all those people be involved in combat constantly: it is not too hard.
And a lone epic adventurer team gains enough money to pay thousands of non qualified people to wait full time assuming they do defeat one encounter that represents a sixth of the standard xp budget per day.

I was arguing on that side (but with tenser transformation before raging and concentrating on tenser transformation which is still bad because you invested tons of wizard levels and so you are poor at fighting) and all the people ignored raw while it was a discussion about raw and instead constantly told it did not make sense or that casting and concentrating was the same thing (which they are not in the rules as written) and so on(some going nearly as far as even arguing that tenser transformation prevents concentrating on tenser transformation).

RAI should have no place in RAW discussion.
I agree that tenser transformation takes too long to come online, I think that a moon druid ia the better option.

MaxWilson
2020-09-13, 11:27 AM
Not even this works.

This isn't true. If it were, many spells would be impossible to cast or benefit from outside of combat, e.g. Teleportation Circle's duration is one round but it's clearly a non-combat-oriented spell.

Mikal
2020-09-13, 07:38 PM
This isn't true. If it were, many spells would be impossible to cast or benefit from outside of combat, e.g. Teleportation Circle's duration is one round but it's clearly a non-combat-oriented spell.

No, spell durations are not the same as holding actions which is explicitly in initiative and combat.

MaxWilson
2020-09-13, 07:45 PM
No, spell durations are not the same as holding actions which is explicitly in initiative and combat.

Don't try to change the subject. You originally said, "Combat rounds, raw, only occur in combat. Otherwise you use narrative time."

Teleportation Circle has a duration of 1 round. Clearly rounds do occur outside of combat. Agree or disagree?

Trafalgar
2020-09-13, 07:48 PM
I am very disappointed. I thought this thread was about a rail gun that launches peasants.

Segev
2020-09-13, 07:54 PM
The peasant rail gun is most useful for mailing things. Send something across town in an instant. or from city to city, if you can get enough peasants.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-13, 10:29 PM
I am very disappointed. I thought this thread was about a rail gun that launches peasants.

If can definitely do that, but as a delivery system.

Hytheter
2020-09-13, 11:01 PM
The Centaur Stack.

It is mechanically legal to have a centaur riding a centaur riding a centaur riding a centaur. They are all medium creatures that can be ridden by medium creatures. It's absolute nonsense and would never be allowed, but technically it works.

Doesn't work. Increasing size for the purpose of carry capactity isn't the same as increasing the size of characters that can ride you. It used to work when the centaur was UA but only because the feature had a line specifically allowing it.

Finally, a Medium or smaller creature can ride on your equine back if you allow it.

That line didn't make it to print so no, centaurs cannot ride centaurs.

Not even this works.

Then have peasant 1 punch peasant 2 to start combat first.

Identical creatures, such as a long line of nondescript commoners, act on the same initiative RAW.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-13, 11:44 PM

Identical creatures, such as a long line of nondescript commoners, act on the same initiative RAW.

They don't need to have the same initiative, they just need to be ready to pass the next thing that come close and use their reaction.
If you are going to tell me you can ready stuff out of combat they can have a work manager telling them to be ready for a fight every few minutes or try to hit one of them with a wipe(and miss on prepuce).

ff7hero
2020-09-14, 01:15 AM

Ring of Spell Storing would allow some fun with this in mind too.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-14, 04:06 AM
Ring of Spell Storing would allow some fun with this in mind too.

Will not work.

While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it.

Wearing the ring will make you unable to concentrate of spell because you will be able to cast spells.
I believe it will also be like it with an empty ring, you will be able to cast nothing like a paladin after using all his spell slots but will still be able to cast spells(you will never successed to cast them without a spell stored in the ring but it is a question of ability, not practicality).

I know that this edition is specific beat general but which is more specific, a class feature or an item?
Most of them time there are good argument for both sides so specific beat general is only good in places it should be obvious.

ff7hero
2020-09-14, 04:55 AM
Will not work.

Wearing the ring will make you unable to concentrate of spell because you will be able to cast spells.
I believe it will also be like it with an empty ring, you will be able to cast nothing like a paladin after using all his spell slots but will still be able to cast spells(you will never successed to cast them without a spell stored in the ring but it is a question of ability, not practicality).

I know that this edition is specific beat general but which is more specific, a class feature or an item?
Most of them time there are good argument for both sides so specific beat general is only good in places it should be obvious.

Cast Spirit Guardians, remove ring, Rage?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-14, 09:21 AM
Cast Spirit Guardians, remove ring, Rage?

Nice, didn't notice it as a possibility.

I now have a new character concept and I need to buy a trained monkey from it.

noob
2020-09-14, 02:56 PM

You can load peasants in your commoner railgun to replace trains.

Avonar
2020-09-14, 03:20 PM
Doesn't work. Increasing size for the purpose of carry capactity isn't the same as increasing the size of characters that can ride you. It used to work when the centaur was UA but only because the feature had a line specifically allowing it.

That line didn't make it to print so no, centaurs cannot ride centaurs.

Huh. I didn't know that centaurs had seen official print.

Centaur-stack will stay in my heart then.