PDA

View Full Version : Optional use for charger feat - primeval guardian?

Heavenblade
2020-09-12, 11:49 PM
Basically what it says in the title.

Primveal guardians have absurdly low speed and not many ways to bring it back.up - but the charger feat changes the picture, for a couple of reasons.

1. At its most basic form, it lets you move 10 ft. in a round (which also means standing up from prone is suddenly possible), and it also enables you to use the second benefit which any STRanger would greatly appreciate for battlefield control. In addition, another 5 ft. Of movement will also help with AoO positioning.
2. With a reach weapon, you can have the same "effective movement rate" (who can you hit) as a regular low speed race.
3. Any movement bonus you do manage to get during the shift have just doubled in effectiveness.
4. If you use revised ranger, primeval guardians dont make extra attacks - so you don't have any particular reason to use your action to attack instead of your bonus action - and the thorns abiliity will activate on bonus action attacks as well.

Whaddaya think? Do the class and feat mesh with each other as well as I think? And does this makes either of them actually worthwhile to take?

Spectrulus
2020-09-14, 08:35 AM
Primeval Guardian is my favorite Unearthed Arcana, so I've thought a lot about this too.

Charger does work pretty well, and I would totally use it if there was a racial restriction, and if for some reason dropping form for a round was too punishing. When I played one, I often found it okay to switch forms to move, and I don't know if the ASI penalty would have been worth it myself, as it wasn't super punishing.

There are other options to have a bigger effective range too.

The spell Zephyr Strike states a 30 foot movement speed increase after the first attack, and while using a spell slot, this is a massive repositioning tool.

The Bugbear racial of increased reach on your characters turn is also similarly effective.

The Orc racial trait Aggressive works well, letting you keep the extra attack of the class with the same speed boost.

TheTabaxi racial trait also enables this, while keeping your characters bonus action free.