PDA

View Full Version : Swift Action Spells

Brennan1612
2020-09-13, 01:47 PM
Does anyone have a source for whether or not you can cast both a swift action spell, (eg. Inspirational Boost), and a standard action spell,(eg. Grease) in the same turn?

I cannot find anything for the life of me.

Thank you in advance!

Khedrac
2020-09-13, 01:56 PM
There are two main points:

1. There is no rule against it (the rule against casting two spells in the same round unless one is quickened comes from before swift actions were invented.
2. Quickened spells were changed to be swift actiosn once swift actions were invented - and you can definitely cast a quickened spell and a standard-action spell in the same round.

So in summary, you won't find a clear-cut rule saying you can, but yes, you can (so long as you haven't used your swift action in the round for anything else).

Trandir
2020-09-13, 02:20 PM
Usually if something goes against no rule you can do it. And there is no rule that stops you to cast as many spells as you want (provided that you have enough actions to do so)

KillianHawkeye
2020-09-13, 06:29 PM
That's the whole point of swift action spells.

ATHATH
2020-09-14, 05:02 AM
This ain't the system (5e, I assume) you're used to, boy- welcome to the golden age of spellcasters.

3.5e doesn't have a rule like 5e's "casting a bonus action spell limits you to casting cantrips with your other actions" restriction, and metamagic isn't restricted to just Sorcerers, either. And our concentration mechanics are different from (and used much less often than) 5e's, too.

Darg
2020-09-14, 08:49 AM
A swift action is an immediate action you use only on your turn. In 3.5 you are given one immediate action, one movement action, and one standard action per round. You can use these separately or combine them in some fashion. A swift action cast time takes on the properties of a swift action. Some spells have a movement action cast time. This means you could cast 3 different spells in a round.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-09-14, 09:17 AM
A swift action is an immediate action you use only on your turn. In 3.5 you are given one immediate action, one movement action, and one standard action per round. You can use these separately or combine them in some fashion. A swift action cast time takes on the properties of a swift action. Some spells have a movement action cast time. This means you could cast 3 different spells in a round.

That's true in principle but I can't for the life of me think of a single spell with a move action casting time and a search filtered for it on the resource site I use doesn't turn anything up either. If you know of any, I'd appreciate it if you shared them.

Kayblis
2020-09-14, 09:51 AM
Echoing the above posts, there isn't any restriction about spells per round, you just have to spend the appropriate action. This also means that, if you somehow get an ability like Quickness from the Choker(MM I), you can cast yet another spell. At the high levels, you're expected to cast at least 2 spells per round on a relevant encounter, and more when going nova.

This is specially great for Sorcerers due to the high-level spell Arcane Spellsurge, which speeds up casting times and let you cast one normal spell(from Standard to Swift action) and one Metamagicked spell(Full-round to Standard action) in the same round, so you're effectively gaining the benefits of Quicken every round for any spell for free(and applying metamagic to one spell too). This is also one hell of a boost for Gishes, because you keep your full capabilities as a spellcaster(one spell of any level per round as swift action) while still having your whole turn to full-attack away.

KillianHawkeye
2020-09-14, 10:59 AM
5e's "casting a bonus action spell limits you to casting cantrips with your other actions" restriction

That's a thing??? :smalleek:

Darg
2020-09-14, 09:21 PM
That's true in principle but I can't for the life of me think of a single spell with a move action casting time and a search filtered for it on the resource site I use doesn't turn anything up either. If you know of any, I'd appreciate it if you shared them.

I should have used the word "use" instead. Although to be honest I got some maneuvers effects mixed up as spells in my head when I wrote it. Sorry I got your hopes up for some new spells.

Rebel7284
2020-09-14, 10:23 PM
War Weaver allows you to cast the stored spells as a move action.

But yes, in general, it's a thing the designers specifically avoided.

bean illus
2020-09-14, 10:32 PM

Ordained Champion lets you channel spell (swift or standard) as a move action.

Thurbane
2020-09-15, 01:10 AM

Hmm, could have sworn that the Channeled spells (Divine Health, Divine Shield, Pyroburst) had an option to cast as a move action, but on checking it seems they jump straight from swift to standard.

TiaC
2020-09-15, 01:37 AM
The Dimension Slide power manifests as a swift when augmented, as does Psionic Dimension Door.

Thurbane
2020-09-15, 05:38 AM

Ordained Champion lets you channel spell (swift or standard) as a move action.

Spellsword can also use a move action to channel a spell into a weapon, and at 10th level, can use two move actions to channel two spells.

Not exactly casting, but Dracolexi allows you to expend a spell Slot as a move action to negate silence and make you audible. Presumably that was made a move action so you can cast a spell afterwards in the same round if you need to.

Rebel7284
2020-09-15, 12:13 PM
Hmm, could have sworn that the Channeled spells (Divine Health, Divine Shield, Pyroburst) had an option to cast as a move action, but on checking it seems they jump straight from swift to standard.

That was the first thing I checked too! 😂