PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler help

jendar41
2020-09-14, 01:02 PM
Hello,

I’m playing the Saltmarsh campaign but with a fair amount of extra content. I’m a level 5 swashbuckler who just hit level 6. Party is a Ancestor barbarian, sharpshooter ranger, life cleric who does not hurt the living, a hex blade who eldritch blasts when he doesn’t have spells, and me.

Because we used a high stat generation method, I am a high elf with the booming blade cantrip, and 10 StR, 20 dex, 16 con, 12 int, 14 wis, and 18 cha with elven accuracy. Will hopefully be 22 dex because there is a manual of quickness of action on hold and if we complete our current mission I’ll have enough gold for it.

I am debating whether to multiclass or not. I tend to stay alive, though largely with the help of the cleric. We tend to have a lot of mooks in our battles, so getting away from danger is tough and I have a low AC.

My damage is pretty good, though largely outpaced by the barbarian, ranger, and at times the warlock. We play flanking rules so with elven accuracy I almost always hit, though so far I haven’t had as many additional crits as I hoped (I think 3 over 6 battles or so).

I’m wondering if fighter or sorcerer levels are will increase my damage overall. Sorcerer seems cool with 3 levels giving shadow blade (so extra d8 on all attacks), some shield spells (though could conflict with uncanny dodge), and some quickened attacks.

3 levels of fighter also seem good for shield, and either dueling fighting style (two weapon doesn’t seem good because I like booming blade and then moving away, especially since I usually act first in combat), or defense style. Not sure if champion or battle master would be better. Champion more crits with elven accuracy, or battle master for maneuvers.

On the other hand we fight a lot of spellcasters, so a few more levels rogue for some feats like Lucky (saves), or Mage Slayer is pretty appealing.

If it helps we tend to just have one or two fights a day.

I’m pretty content with my out of combat utility, so I’m just trying to see if the numbers of multiclassing increase my damage and defense enough to offset the lost sneak attack and extra feats (level 8 and 10). Any thoughts from those with better number crunching skills than me?

If it helps, we have a magic store than can order items to be delivered in a few weeks (so a few adventures) with relatively reasonable prices, so if there are some items that could really help instead or in combination, please let me know.

Thanks all.

thoroughlyS
2020-09-14, 01:10 PM
What weapons do you use?

Dork_Forge
2020-09-14, 01:13 PM
I'd multiclass into Fighter, Battlemaster specifically for at least 4 levels, this will increase your damage output and survivability (more hp, Second Wind, defensive maneuvers).

It's a shame you're attached to Booming Blade, the Swashbuckler is basically designed for hit and run and by limiting yourself to a single attack you're not leveraging that as well as you could. Are you reliably procing the rider damage on Booming Blade or are the enemies just attacking others?

What magic items do you currently have?

CTurbo
2020-09-14, 01:29 PM
Too bad your Str is low because I've seen some extremely hard hitting Swashbuckler/Paladins.

For you, I'd take 3 or 4 levels of Battlemaster Fighter and spam Riposte. The best thing for you to do is be able to get your sneak attack damage off your turn with your reaction. Also look into Sentinel if nobody else has it. I'd probably take Defense over Dueling though.

Shadow Blade is not worth the investment for a single attack character IMO. Same thing for Dueling really. I'd rather have the always on +1 AC than +2 damage once a round.

1 level of Draconic Sorcerer could get you a higher than regular light armor AC but then Defense style wouldn't work, and that also doesn't take into account +1/+2/+3 magic armor you might find.

Swords Bard could be an interesting choice. I'd probably want 5 levels for short rest d8 inspiration dice.

jendar41
2020-09-14, 01:54 PM
What weapons do you use?

I use a rapier.

jendar41
2020-09-14, 01:57 PM
I'd multiclass into Fighter, Battlemaster specifically for at least 4 levels, this will increase your damage output and survivability (more hp, Second Wind, defensive maneuvers).

It's a shame you're attached to Booming Blade, the Swashbuckler is basically designed for hit and run and by limiting yourself to a single attack you're not leveraging that as well as you could. Are you reliably procing the rider damage on Booming Blade or are the enemies just attacking others?

What magic items do you currently have?

Currently have a plus one rapier, and a mariners studded leather armor. I have paid for a cloak of protection that comes in a week or so.

I say I get The booming blade Rider off 60-70 Percent of the time. Particularly the first few rounds of battle before everyone closes. Especially with me going first and being a swashbuckler I can run out to someone without any allies around and then run back.

I’m not married to booming blade, but seemed a good way to keep scaling damage especially if I can get the rider. Not a big loss, if going two weapon is better going forward.

N810
2020-09-14, 02:00 PM
I found a splash of fighter for dualist fighting style and action surge was worth it.

Dork_Forge
2020-09-14, 02:07 PM
Currently have a plus one rapier, and a mariners studded leather armor. I have paid for a cloak of protection that comes in a week or so.

I say I get The booming blade Rider off 60-70 Percent of the time. Particularly the first few rounds of battle before everyone closes. Especially with me going first and being a swashbuckler I can run out to someone without any allies around and then run back.

I’m not married to booming blade, but seemed a good way to keep scaling damage especially if I can get the rider. Not a big loss, if going two weapon is better going forward.

I personally prefer combining TWF with Extra Attack on my Swashbucklers to try and get the most out of Fancy Footwork. TWF would give you a more reliable damage bump (assuming you dip Fighter and take the style), but you wouldn't be able to use your Rapier without the feat.

My general advice here then would be to switch to TWF and swapping to Fighter up until Fighter 6 (netting you two ASIs, Extra Attack, a style, maneuvers, more hp and Second Wind). From there you can swap back over to Rogue for the Sneak progression if you'd like.

Konradhelt
2020-09-14, 02:21 PM
With those stats and only 1-2 fights a day, I would go for a level of hexblade to get medium armor, shield, shield spell, hex and curse for crits on 19-20 with elven acc + booming + sneak.

Pick luck as the next feat to avoid the rare misses and you will be golden.

Dork_Forge
2020-09-14, 02:31 PM
With those stats and only 1-2 fights a day, I would go for a level of hexblade to get medium armor, shield, shield spell, hex and curse for crits on 19-20 with elven acc + booming + sneak.

That's a good strategy for single big bruisers, but a bad one for mooks (as OP stated they frequently fight) and with a maxed Dex (and manual on the horizon) the medium armor doesn't really offer anything either.

da newt
2020-09-14, 02:31 PM
my 2 cents: take 1 lvl of fighter for 2nd wind and to use a shield and pick up Defensive FS. With studded leather, shield, and Def FS your AC will be 20 before you get a cloak of protection and 22 DEX which will bring you to 22 AC. But other than that 1 lvl dip, I'd stay all Rogue.

Now in order to increase your damage output, you need to ensure you have SA added to every attack with BB as a start. Use your BA to disengage or hide. Then if you can attack again as a OA or any off turn attack it's all bonus damage.

If you do go more fighter than a dip - BM is much more IMO than Champion.

With that said, your party looks like it's missing a AoE - blasting - reality changing Wiz ...

Lord Vukodlak
2020-09-14, 02:41 PM
Now with 20 dex and studded Mariners armor you have 17 AC. That’s not low that’s decent. And with that cloak your getting it will be 18. Don’t forget your rogue cunning, and extra Dash can force them to either engage the barbarian or try and run past them to hit you.

You know I just started the Saltmarsh campaign and I’m a halfling swashbuckler. And I intend to eventually multiclass him into battle master.
The +1 AC for defensive style is going to help me more then any other style.
For maneuvers I’m looking at
Riposte for reasons others have stated by other posters
Menacing
And haven’t really decided on the third, we have a Druid ally so pushing to send them into the spike growth. I’ve already introduced my self as Captain “Adleriac AroundtheHill” So Rally for RP purposes.

I do like the idea someone else suggested about the Sentinel feat.

jendar41
2020-09-14, 03:06 PM

There’s another hex blade already. I’d rather avoid stepping on others people’s toes, and I like doing my own thing.

x3n0n
2020-09-14, 03:38 PM
I will echo others here: I expect Battle Master to get you the most payoff.

Defense fighting style
Consider using Action Surge to Ready an off-turn Sneak Attack

High-reward maneuvers for a Rogue:
* Riposte for another off-turn Sneak Attack opportunity
* Precision Attack to make it even less likely that you miss a Sneak Attack

I would generally recommend Trip Attack, although it won't give you much "selfish" benefit since you only attack once per turn. If that doesn't appeal, Menacing Attack and Rally could be relevant and synergistic with your build.

Reynaert
2020-09-14, 03:50 PM
What about 2 levels of Tempest Cleric for the Destructive Wrath to maximize your Booming Blade damage, plus a bunch of useful cantrips and a choice of neat 1st level spells, including some healing to take a load off the Cleric.

CTurbo
2020-09-14, 03:52 PM
I have played a Swashbuckler/Battlemaster with Sentinel using almost strictly Riposte and it's pretty easy to pull off a second sneak attack most rounds. You want your AC as high as possible though since Riposte works off a miss.

20 Dex + Studded Leather + shield + Defense style + Cloak of Protection = 21 AC

Stand next to the Barbarian. He attacks recklessly drawing attacks to him. You attack with Sentinel if they attack him. You attack with Riposte if they attack you and miss. You use Uncanny Dodge if they attack you and hit. You're getting a very solid use of your reaction every round. You're getting sneak attack twice most rounds.

jendar41
2020-09-14, 03:56 PM
I have played a Swashbuckler/Battlemaster with Sentinel using almost strictly Riposte and it's pretty easy to pull off a second sneak attack most rounds. You want your AC as high as possible though since Riposte works off a miss.

20 Dex + Studded Leather + shield + Defense style + Cloak of Protection = 21 AC

Stand next to the Barbarian. He attacks recklessly drawing attacks to him. You attack with Sentinel if they attack him. You attack with Riposte if they attack you and miss. You use Uncanny Dodge if they attack you and hit. You're getting a very solid use of your reaction every round. You're getting sneak attack twice most rounds.

Thanks. What level splits do you use and when should I do it? I’m a little iffy on sentinel since we only have one other melee fighter, and it seems the DM is more to the style of having enemies focus on the weakest link. Plus negates the booming blade possibility from forcing someone to move.

thoroughlyS
2020-09-14, 04:36 PM
I just ran some numbers in Excel, and my calculations show that your +1 rapier actually means you deal more expected damage than if you were to swap to two-weapon fighting. Many factors (high modifier, table uses flanking, Elven Accuracy) make your chance to hit every turn massive, meaning you gain comparatively little from the potential bonus attack (which is unusual). Changing styles would mean giving up the +1 to hit and 1d8+1 to damage. Even taking Dual Wielder at 8th wouldn't give you back the expected benefit.

I actually disagree with the majority here. Continuing down rogue gives you Evasion, and you can take Martial Adept at 8th level to gain Riposte and Trip Attack. At 9th level, you will be doing an additional 2d6 every turn. And as a Rogue, you benefit less than other martials from Action Surge (only one attack, won't qualify for sneak attack, you can already dash or hide as a bonus action).

jendar41
2020-09-14, 04:53 PM
I just ran some numbers in Excel, and my calculations show that your +1 rapier actually means you deal more expected damage than if you were to swap to two-weapon fighting. Many factors (high modifier, table uses flanking, Elven Accuracy) make your chance to hit every turn massive, meaning you gain comparatively little from the potential bonus attack (which is unusual). Changing styles would mean giving up the +1 to hit and 1d8+1 to damage. Even taking Dual Wielder at 8th wouldn't give you back the expected benefit.

I actually disagree with the majority here. Continuing down rogue gives you Evasion, and you can take Martial Adept at 8th level to gain Riposte and Trip Attack. At 9th level, you will be doing an additional 2d6 every turn. And as a Rogue, you benefit less than other martials from Action Surge (only one attack, won't qualify for sneak attack, you can already dash or hide as a bonus action).

Thank you, that type of math is very helpful to me. Yes, I can’t think of the last time I missed an attack, so I’m mainly focused on damage and survivability.

With action surge, can I use it to ready an off-turn sneak attack?

I thought about martial adept, but I can remember the last time we had a short rest, so I view 3 levels of BM as essentially 4 extra sneak attacks a day with the feat being 1 extra sneak attack a day. I’d say on average we have 4-7 combat rounds a day.

Dork_Forge
2020-09-14, 04:58 PM

So you're saying they're expected to deal more damage because of a single +1 than an entire additional attack (with modifier)? That doesn't seem right at all, even if they don't swap their rapier out for a TWF compatable weapon (which given the OP said there's a magic item store, makes no sense), assuming both hit you're looking at a net gain of 6.5 damage and another chance to get Sneak Attack off if they miss the first time around. They're also going to be bumping their mod to +6 with a manual, which will directly stack with more attacks. Dual Wielder should be irrelevant to this.

Martial Adept gives a single superiority die of a smaller size with none of the other (more attractive) benefits of Fighter. They'll only benefit less if they were to just make a normal attack with the Action Surge, going Fighter opens up the possibility of Extra Attack, more chances to use maneuvers and since they're a High Elf that Action Surge could be a Booming Blade.

Separately, sticking Rogue does nothing to increase durability outside of Evasion, which is only useful if you're up against Dex saves.

CTurbo
2020-09-14, 05:18 PM
Thanks. What level splits do you use and when should I do it? I’m a little iffy on sentinel since we only have one other melee fighter, and it seems the DM is more to the style of having enemies focus on the weakest link. Plus negates the booming blade possibility from forcing someone to move.

If you want to stick with Booming Blade, just 3 or 4 levels of Fighter is all you need and you want as much Rogue as you can get.

You could take 3 levels of Hunter Ranger for a second fighting style and added utility and both Colossus Slayer and Horde Breaker play nicely with Booming Blade. You'll notice that many potential multiclass combos require the actual Attack Action which Booming Blade is not. 3 levels of Ranger would be even better if you can use the UA Revised version.

Would your DM waive the multiclass prerequisite and let you take some Paladin levels? That'd really be best. You'd smite when you crit.

thoroughlyS
2020-09-14, 05:44 PM
With action surge, can I use it to ready an off-turn sneak attack?
Yes, you can. I forgot about that as a use.

I thought about martial adept, but I can remember the last time we had a short rest, so I view 3 levels of BM as essentially 4 extra sneak attacks a day with the feat being 1 extra sneak attack a day. I’d say on average we have 4-7 combat rounds a day.
I assume you're talking about utilizing Riposte, but how often are you getting targeted for attacks? You are a swashbuckler, so you shouldn't commonly be in range of any enemies' melee attacks by the end of your turn. I'm willing to bet you'd end up with unused dice at the end of the day if you only have 1-2 combats.

So you're saying they're expected to deal more damage because of a single +1 than an entire additional attack (with modifier)? That doesn't seem right at all, even if they don't swap their rapier out for a TWF compatable weapon (which given the OP said there's a magic item store, makes no sense), assuming both hit you're looking at a net gain of 6.5 damage and another chance to get Sneak Attack off if they miss the first time around. They're also going to be bumping their mod to +6 with a manual, which will directly stack with more attacks. Dual Wielder should be irrelevant to this.
With their single attack now, they can benefit from booming blade for an additional 1d8 damage. Swapping to two-weapon fighting means also giving up that die. So really it's +1 to hit and 1d8 + 1 damage vs 1d6 and an extra chance for sneak attack. Normally I would agree with you that the extra chance to hit is better in terms of expected damage, but because they have such an absurdly high chance to hit, it doesn't come in handy anywhere near enough to make up for the lost accuracy and damage on the first hit.

That said, if they can buy another +1 rapier at 8th level, they can actually marginally boost their damage with Dual Wielder. I knew they were getting items easily, I didn't realize they could literally just buy them.

Martial Adept gives a single superiority die of a smaller size with none of the other (more attractive) benefits of Fighter. They'll only benefit less if they were to just make a normal attack with the Action Surge, going Fighter opens up the possibility of Extra Attack, more chances to use maneuvers and since they're a High Elf that Action Surge could be a Booming Blade.

Separately, sticking Rogue does nothing to increase durability outside of Evasion, which is only useful if you're up against Dex saves.
Action Surge, Extra Attack, and two-weapon fighting would benefit them in that it would allow them to attack more smaller enemies, which they did say they faced more often, so I concede the point there. I guess I got focussed on single target damage, which they don't really seem to need.

So I guess the plan is to take the two-weapon fighting style, but not actually use two-weapon fighting until you can take Dual Wielder at 9th level?

Dork_Forge
2020-09-14, 05:56 PM
With their single attack now, they can benefit from booming blade for an additional 1d8 damage. Swapping to two-weapon fighting means also giving up that die. So really it's +1 to hit and 1d8 + 1 damage vs 1d6 and an extra chance for sneak attack. Normally I would agree with you that the extra chance to hit is better in terms of expected damage, but because they have such an absurdly high chance to hit, it doesn't come in handy anywhere near enough to make up for the lost accuracy and damage on the first hit.

That said, if they can buy another +1 rapier at 8th level, they can actually marginally boost their damage with Dual Wielder. I knew they were getting items easily, I didn't realize they could literally just buy them.

So I guess the plan is to take the two-weapon fighting style, but not actually use two-weapon fighting until you can take Dual Wielder at 9th level?

So I think you damage calculation was based on them TWF with just the weapon die for damage and not the mod? That would explain your results, if you were factoring the mod, then I'm still lost how they're better off (even booming blade at this level is a potential net gain of 2.5).

They don't need another Rapier, they don't need Dual Wielder, they can literally just start using two shortswords/scimitars etc. with the TWF style (which they'd have immediately since they just leveled up). That's an instant bump to damage, basically guarantees Sneak Attack since their hit is so high, gives them more value from Fancy Footwork and lets them leverage the manual more. That's a non trivial benefit that only increases if they actually buy magic weapons to TWF with and increases further if they take DW with magic Rapiers. It becomes a somewhat harder choice when BB improves again but that's not for another five levels and adjustments can be made at that point (if the game goes that far).

As for superiority dice, if the game is consistently 1-2 combats a day, then OP can feel free to burn at least two die a combat if not three. It doesn't have to be all Ripsote and being able to drop up to 4d8 extra damage a day on top of the ability to Action Surge (for Booming Blade or readied off turn Sneak) is nothing to sneeze at.

thoroughlyS
2020-09-14, 06:46 PM
So I think you damage calculation was based on them TWF with just the weapon die for damage and not the mod? That would explain your results, if you were factoring the mod, then I'm still lost how they're better off (even booming blade at this level is a potential net gain of 2.5).
You got me here. I was calculating without the modifier, becuase I was only comparing rogue progressions. If they went fighter, then they would immediately see a damage boost.

It becomes a somewhat harder choice when BB improves again but that's not for another five levels and adjustments can be made at that point (if the game goes that far).
You're forgetting that their sneak attack damage will also increase during these levels. Although I am obligated to mention that the boosts fighter gives come one level earlier than the boosts rogue gives.

As for superiority dice, if the game is consistently 1-2 combats a day, then OP can feel free to burn at least two die a combat if not three. It doesn't have to be all Ripsote and being able to drop up to 4d8 extra damage a day on top of the ability to Action Surge (for Booming Blade or readied off turn Sneak) is nothing to sneeze at.
4d8 in a day doesn't really seem all that important next to the eventual 2d6 per turn. Again, it comes a level later, but it definitely outputs more in a day. However, sneak attack is a solo-target feature which is less useful for the combats at this table.

Dork_Forge
2020-09-14, 07:08 PM
You're forgetting that their sneak attack damage will also increase during these levels. Although I am obligated to mention that the boosts fighter gives come one level earlier than the boosts rogue gives.
This depends on how deep a Fighter dip you're going, if they go deep enough for Extra attack then that more than makes up for the lost Sneak progression (10.5 sneak vs 9.5 attack (10.5 if with a +1) as well as the SD and Action Surge).

4d8 in a day doesn't really seem all that important next to the eventual 2d6 per turn. Again, it comes a level later, but it definitely outputs more in a day. However, sneak attack is a solo-target feature which is less useful for the combats at this table.

4d8 plus riders, which can set up the super advantage EA enables. Then there's all the off turn sneak attack damage Riposte and Action Surge can provide.

Though a big factor for going Fighter should also be the survivability, more hp and Second Wind on top of Uncanny Dodge goes a long way.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-09-14, 08:42 PM
BattleMaster to 5 for extra attack.
Riposte
Trip Attack (to generate advantage)
Pick your poison for third

TWF is all good for extra attack, but your campaign sounds high magic - Pick up a scimitar of speed for bonus action attack, you can also still rock a shield.

3 x attacks Total > first attack Trip to Prone them, gain advantage, sneak attack. Bonos action attack.

Allows you to worry less about oppertunity attacks when your surrounded since you can hit 3 x Targets

Riposte give you a reliable way to use Reaction to sneak attack again.

Take Sentinal if other memebers dont have it for another reliable way to sneak attack reaction.

EDIT : Just get illusionist bracers if you want to cast boomingblade twice instead and stay rogue 100%

Goldlizard
2020-09-14, 09:57 PM
Buckler's are actually really good at Melee. Pick up dual wielder, stab with rapiers, run away, repeat.

Chugger
2020-09-15, 04:16 AM
If you want to do a lot more damage, doing 2 sneak attacks a turn is well worth considering. There are several ways to do this. One is to have someone else cast haste on you. You ready your normal attack to happen the moment your turn ends on current target. You use your hasted attack this turn to sneak attack. Your turn ends. Now your reaction or readied attack goes off, and as long as you qualify to make it a sneak attack - it isn't your turn any more - you can have another sneak attack (because it's your reaction). So looking at your party, no one's going to haste you.

You could take 3 levels of BM fighter and get riposte. Anytime someone misses you and you riposte - and if you qualify for a sneak attack - you can make it a sneak attack (a second one for the round - again it's your reaction). I'd save your BM points mostly for this, although if you go BM 5 you can tripping attack, knock down and have advantage - but flanking rules already give you advantage. Taking 5 lvls of fighter could mean a MINUS 3d6 to your sneak attacks, offset by better AC and one action surge every short rest. Oh if you surge, you can make one attack on your turn a sneak attack and one a readied action to attack the moment your turn ends - and use surge to get a second sneak attack on the turn.

Do you want to crit more often? Two ways to do this. One is to go Champion Fighter 3 and crit on a 19 or 20. With EA and advantage (which I assume you get often by flanking), and a crit on a 19 or 20, your odds of critting go to over 1 in 4 - it's about 27% iirc. Hexblade and use Hexblade Curse on a target also gets you these improved odds for a crit w/ EA (if you have adv), with the advantage being only a one level dip in hexblade plus you get damage off the curse and you can hex (and get other spell and cantrips) ---- the disadvantage being you can do this, as a hexblade, to only one target per short rest. A champ has to take 3 levels (which drops your sneak attack damage as much as 2d6) but gets the crit on a 19 or 20 feature all the time. Either way you get shield and medium armor.

MrStabby
2020-09-15, 06:57 AM
I am a bit of a fan of cleric for this setup.

Some can give you heavy armour, which is probably not a big deal unless you are a dwarf, but it gives you access to shields which is nice.

Also, you are not using your concentration. A single level of cleric can give you bless, protection from evil/good and the ability to bring someone back into the fight with a spot of healing. You get a lot for a very small cost.

If you add in some of the level 1 domain treats as well it just rounds things out. War cleric is strong for when you need those extra attacks, although trickery is nice as well.

Frogreaver
2020-09-15, 07:44 AM
A single level dip in Hexblade will be the best for damage.

You will want booming blade. Hexblades curse will be great as well. The expanded crit range will be so nice.

I’d do that and then take more rogue levels.

MrStabby
2020-09-15, 08:47 AM

You will want booming blade. Hexblades curse will be great as well. The expanded crit range will be so nice.

Er no... the OP already has booming blade.

Dork_Forge
2020-09-15, 08:53 AM

That is not a good dip on this character.

As already mentioned the OP already has Booming Blade from being a High Elf, they have max dex with a +6 incoming so the Cha SADness holds no appeal and they frequently fight mooks, meaning that Hexblade's Curse is nothing but a waste of a bonus action.

Reynaert
2020-09-15, 12:04 PM
I am a bit of a fan of cleric for this setup.

If you add in some of the level 1 domain treats as well it just rounds things out. War cleric is strong for when you need those extra attacks, although trickery is nice as well.

War cleric's bonus attack doesn't gel with Booming Blade which the OP seems to like.
Trickery is nice, especially the advantage from duplicity, although they said they already have advantage a lot of the time.
However, Tempest has some nice damage increasers, especially the maximizing of thunder damage which synergizes with booming blade (or the shatter spell they get at 3rd level if they want to go that far).

MrStabby
2020-09-15, 12:14 PM
War cleric's bonus attack doesn't gel with Booming Blade which the OP seems to like.
Trickery is nice, especially the advantage from duplicity, although they said they already have advantage a lot of the time.
However, Tempest has some nice damage increasers, especially the maximizing of thunder damage which synergizes with booming blade (or the shatter spell they get at 3rd level if they want to go that far).

Good point on booming blade.

Paeleus
2020-09-15, 10:37 PM
Baseline Sorceror would give you 4 cantrips and Shield Spell with later access to Shadow Blade, Haste, and Mirror Image, etc.

Choosing Divine Soul gives you access to Cleric goodies like Shield of Faith and Bless.

Metamagics like Quicken and Twinned play well with your melee play style.

With a Dex of 22 and your desire for a higher Armor Class, Mage Armor is kind of interesting to think about.