PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items for a Lv12 Sun Soul Monk

TheCleverGuy
2020-09-14, 04:21 PM
Playing in a Tomb of Horrors one-shot this weekend, and the DM asked us to make 12th level characters and said we could each start with 3 uncommon and 1 rare magic items. I rolled up a Tiefling (Zariel) Sun Soul Monk with the Acolyte background, planning to play him as a holy warrior of Amaunator. Now I'm trying to decide which items to choose.

Stats are as follows (after applying ASIs): STR 14, DEX 20, CON 16, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 14. I have 18 AC, 95 max HP, and I took the Mobile feat, so I have a base movement of 60 ft. Just wondering what you'd all recommend for magic equipment--here's my initial thoughts:

-Gem of Brightness--seems like something a worshiper of a sun god would use.
-Insignia of Claws--for +1 unarmed strikes.
-Weapon of Warning (quarterstaff)--advantage on initiative and protection from being surprised.
-Bracers of Defense--brings AC to 20.

Anything there you swap out, or is there anything important I'm overlooking that a magic item could help me with? I have no idea what the rest of the party is playing yet.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-09-14, 10:15 PM
All that seems like a decent build.

Items I would consider
STRONGLY CONSIDER - Robe of useful Items (I would take this 100% of the time for a dungeon)
Winged boots
Boots of spider climb
Bag of holding
Drift Globe (i find more useful then gem)
Decanter of endless water

Monk is one of the few classes that doesnt nessisarily need Magic weapons. Think of things that may have a more utility purpose, then getting +1 to unarmed strikes (unless you feel you will have issues hitting stuff, which I doubt you will)

Can you live without the +2 A/C ?
Rare item options
Robe of Eyes let's you see invisible ect
Boots of Speed - Double up that 60 movement
Mantle of Spell resistance if you want advantage on saves vs magic
Amulet proof against poison for immunity
Cloak of displacement (disadvantage is worth more to me then 2 AC 99% of the time)
Flame Tongue - More Damage and a light source

AttilatheYeon
2020-09-15, 02:05 AM
For ToH, i'd bring a few extra characters. 20 should be enough. 😆

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-15, 10:47 AM
For ToH, i'd bring a few extra characters. 20 should be enough. 😆
Applause. :smallsmile:
Mantle of Spell resistance
Boots of Spider Climb
Immovable Rod
Drift Globe

TheCleverGuy
2020-09-15, 05:09 PM
Thank you for the help. I like having this place to bounce ideas off of. I may end up swapping out the Insigia for winged boots, and the bracers for the Cloak of Displacement. Assuming my DM is amenable of course.

kingcheesepants
2020-09-15, 07:23 PM
Tomb of Horrors is a trap dungeon and not really a fighting dungeon. Even in the handful of fights most of the problems come in from hazards and traps. I would say, The Wand of Secrets, the Winged Boots, and a Sentinel Shield (advantage on perception for finding traps). If you don't want to take the shield because you aren't proficient in shields maybe the robe of useful items (it's great but honestly you can buy all the mundane equipment you want beforehand yeah?) or the slippers of spider climbing. For your rare item take the Helm of Teleportation. I don't want to ruin the surprise for you, but you'll be glad for the ability to teleport. Proof Against Poison could be useful and so could a Ring of Free Action or a Cloak of the Mountebank, but really teleportation beats all of them by a pretty big margin. I wouldn't worry too much about your AC or attack or anything combat related really. Just finding and avoiding or disabling the traps.

LordNibbler
2020-09-15, 08:52 PM
Being a 12th level monk, this character can already run along walls/ceilings and has poison immunity (damage and condition). I’d focus more on defense items like mantle of spell resistance, ring of protection (bonus to AC and saves is nice), ring of free action, etc. An immovable rod is always fun.