PDA

View Full Version : Will my bard character be useless?

tontoncho
2020-09-15, 02:20 AM
I spent hours creating a college of spirits bard (UA), his backstory, personality traits, etc. and was really excited to try it out. But I just found out a friend is playing an Archfey warlock and another friend a cleric. SO, am I going to be useless and irrelevant? what would you recommend I do?

Chugger
2020-09-15, 02:39 AM
Well, a three-person party like that could really use a barbarian or a paladin - maybe a fighter - over a bard, although a good DM should adjust content to your party's basic abilities. Because 5e technically works w/e the party makeup.

I would say it's not an "optimized" party, but it rarely is. If the game is going to be roleplay heavy and you wanna do this bard, then run the bard. Hope the cleric has heavy armor and can "tank" (to the extent tanking works in 5e - that's very much a ymmv thing).

If the DM throws a lot of combat at you, then you may wanna play something else. Unless more players join. I think a bard works better in a larger party, not a 3-person party - if we're thinking about optimizing - if the campaign is combat heavy. Again, it very much depends on what kind of campaign it will be.

Bards do get control spells: dissonant whispers, sleep, suggestion, hold person, hypnotic pattern - and leomund's tiny hut (a wonderful spell in most campaigns - unless you're going to be in a city where you can always go to a relatively safe inn to rest, say). If you get one of the Instrument of the Bards, hypnotic pattern has a disadvantage to its ST when you cast it, because it is a charm effect. Do you know how to control - how to help the party divide and conquer?

Jerrykhor
2020-09-15, 03:53 AM
May I ask why would you feel useless and irrelevant? I've not played a Bard myself, but I have played with many before, and I do feel irrelevant at times.

Most of them would stack skill proficiencies by being Half-Elf, and along with Expertise and Jack of All Trades, they rarely fail at skill checks. They still have full spell casting on top of that, which enhances their flexibility even more. Once they are higher level, they also have Magical Secret spells. If you have ever been a new paladin player who thought your niche is safe with your exclusive spells, the Bard can summon a Find Greater Steed and laugh in your face.

kingcheesepants
2020-09-15, 03:56 AM
Even if the party has some serious role overlap it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be useless. Bards can fulfill lots of different roles and you could redo a little bit of his loadout to make him a little more physical or just emphasize the spells and abilities that the rest of the party can't cover. It doesn't sound like a particularly optimized party but it can certainly work. If you're expecting enough combat that you think you really need to optimize the party a bit more you could in theory have a fighter or barbarian with the same (or very similar) backstory and personality and such. Those things don't have to be tied to your class. Several of the backgrounds give instrument proficiency and you can talk to your GM about having a custom background that better fits your idea of the skills, tools and languages you envision your character having. Sometimes in boards like this you can get the impression that optimizing and having a highly combat capable party are essential, but really it's a campaign to campaign thing. Just work with the group to have fun.

patchyman
2020-09-15, 07:49 AM
I think the three players need to have a discussion and show a little flexibility.

Depending on the campaign, the described loadout could work, but with a few minor tweaks, you could make up your defensive deficiencies.

For instance, a war cleric, Pact of the Blade feylock and valor bard, all of whom devote part of their spells for defense (Aid, Bless, etc...) will definitely be a strong party. In fact, it would probably be a strong party even if you kept your spirits bard.

Takeaway, you should definitely choose defensive spells and at least try to coordinate your characters, but you should be fine.

Bobthewizard
2020-09-15, 12:46 PM
You won't feel useless. Bards are great. The class is very flexible. I'm not a huge fan of that College of Spirits mechanically so I would go Lore and flavor the search for spirits as a their quest for lore. But if you like the subclass it will be fine. Base bard is really good.

I would recommend going variant human for the moderately armored feat. This gets your starting AC from 13-14 up to 18, which should be very important, especially in a small party.

cutlery
2020-09-15, 01:18 PM
Expecting and hoping to have a niche all to yourself is a great way to get disappointed. If you can do a thing no one else can do, great. If you can do a thing other people can do - also great.

MrStabby
2020-09-15, 02:27 PM
You should be fine.

Sure, there is a bit of overlap - but you should be OK. Warlock looks like they can cover a lot of what you want to do, but until late game they will only ever have 2 spell slots. If they chose to step on your toes using a levelled spell it's a pretty big commitment from them.

Likewise the cleric means that you wont get healing to yourself but that's a pretty small part of the spell list.

Even if you were to have perfect overlap of spells you would still have great skills and your bardic inspiration to yourself - which are pretty powerful. Then at 10th level magical secrets can help you stand out.

On top of this, some of the things you might have in common, you can be better at. If at level 10 you pick up counterspell you will be better at it than the warlock. If you cast dissonant whispers you will do more damage (I think).

You should be OK. I imagine you will have a lot of fun.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-15, 02:40 PM
If at level 10 The game/campaign is still going, there are some neat new feature you can try out. :smallbiggrin:

(Trying to be realistic, keeping a group/game together for that long from 1st can be a challenge).

Ashrym
2020-09-15, 02:43 PM
I spent hours creating a college of spirits bard (UA), his backstory, personality traits, etc. and was really excited to try it out. But I just found out a friend is playing an Archfey warlock and another friend a cleric. SO, am I going to be useless and irrelevant? what would you recommend I do?

The warlock's spell casting is mechanically different and the bard has spells available neither has, plus skill benefits, plus inspiration abilities. The flexibility in skill proficiency and spell selection also allows them to be great at party crack fill to cover what's missing.

Spirits is an interesting choice but the ritual for the gained spell works better in a bigger party.

As for extra skill proficiencies from half-elf and such, that's a bit over-rated because jack-of-all-trades gives half proficiency already. Adding more proficiencies is better on a rogue because of reliable talent later, but that's a side note.

You'll likely be taking on the typical controller style of bard instead of damage spells or healing based on the information given already.

tontoncho
2020-09-15, 03:56 PM
Well, thanks everyone. I can't believe each and every single comment you guys made had a different and valid approach to my issue. I will go ahead and try this character with the advice you gave me. Thanks again, really like this community.

Edea
2020-09-15, 04:45 PM
Yeah, a Bard's about the last class that needs to worry about being extraneous. The chassis simply gives you too many different things you can do, even if it boils down to doing nothing but popping inspiration dice on people (and as a full caster I highly doubt you'd be reduced to that).

Bear in mind the version of guidance you get can be cast out to 60 feet; the cleric's version is touch-range.

Also, you can use your Spirit Session ability to grab revivify (you + 2 = 3rd level Div/Nec spell from anywhere), so you're able to get your cleric out of a jam in an emergency. Note that hunter's mark is a Divination spell (1st level, too, you can get it even if you're alone), if you were wanting to use weapon attacks (such as via Hexbow shenanigans).

Grod_The_Giant
2020-09-15, 05:02 PM
Consult with the Warlock player and make sure you don't pick too many of the same spells, and otherwise enjoy as planned? Unless your chosen backstory is very fey-tied too, in which case also consult with them about tying your backgrounds together and being fey-buddies.

Specter
2020-09-16, 01:18 PM
Hey, as long as you're giving Inspiration to others and picking out the best Bard spells (Faerie Fire, Suggestion, Hypnotic Pattern, etc.), there's no way you're going to be useless. You just have to coordinate party tactics (the Cleric will probably have to be the frontliner, for example).

Mikaleus
2020-09-16, 09:57 PM
Your clerics Domain will possibly influence how your party will find combat, but really, as someone who tends to pick a class to supplement other people’s class choices, I strongly advise just sticking with your bard. You’ve put effort into your character just play it and have fun with it.