PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What cool thing may happen when an aberration try to mind control a spell caster that

Arparrabiosa
2020-09-15, 02:32 AM
What cool thing may happen when an aberration try to mind control a spell caster that is possessed by a demon? (sorry the forum didn't let me write the whole title)

Hey there!

I'm brainstorming for my new game. I have an aberration (a Kolprus) mind controlling a spell caster that goes mad from a module I'm using (Torrents of Dread). One my PCs is an sacred exorcist and I was wondering what would happen if the caster was already possessed by a demon/devil before that.

Any ideas are welcome!

Segev
2020-09-15, 04:00 AM
Boring answer: the two controllers have an opposed Charisma check every time their orders conflict, with the winner dictating that particular action.

Now, while this is boring on paper, in practice it will likely result in a mad-seeming inconsistency except where the two controllers’ evil aligns. A clever caster fighting for control might even try to leverage one against the other to act more like he’d like to than if he were controlled by only one.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-09-15, 05:20 AM
... it will likely result in a mad-seeming inconsistency except where the two controllers’ evil aligns. A clever caster fighting for control might even try to leverage one against the other to act more like he’d like to than if he were controlled by only one.

This is 100% spot on.

Boring answer: the two controllers have an opposed Charisma check every time their orders conflict, with the winner dictating that particular action.

This, not so much. It works for a mutterer but not a controller.

Possession by a controller isn't a dominate effect. It's basically a mind-swap. The mind the aberration has control over is set aside and the demon starts driving the creature's meat around. Just like the poor sap that's caught between them, it might take a while before the aberration even realizes his thrall is under some other influence if the demon is of a more subtle variety.

You really want a mind screw scenario; transformer demon possessing the thrall. How far do you suppose the transformation would get before the aberration figures it out?

nedz
2020-10-03, 03:25 PM
OK, so whilst the Aberration thinks that it is mind controlling the spell caster, it's actually attempting to mind control the Demon because the Demon has suppressed/replaced the Soul of the spell caster already.

This is a stack type operation rather than a conflict.