PDA

View Full Version : NWN2 MotB - Help

Stormcrow
2007-11-01, 04:59 PM
Please for the love of god no spoilers, just advice.

I played the whole way through NWN2 as a Bard and had awesome good times and got all the diplomacy stuff and actually enjoyed the game, and then had my arse handed to me over and over in the battles towards the end.

I've just bout MotB, is there a class/combo people would recommend for not getting cained down the track? Perhaps a gap left by the NPCs? and again, please absolutely no spoilers, I plan to enjoy the story for myself.

Dihan
2007-11-01, 05:07 PM
There're certain one chance spirit powers that can help you stay alive, I also reccomend that you upgrade equipment to a suitable level. As with what to do as a bard, not much. There's a few epic feats that may help. You may also want to have a look at the Epic Spells.

With a powerful enough weapon you should be able to handle it when fully buffed.

Hawriel
2007-11-01, 05:21 PM
You can import your character from the first campain into the expantion. Just remember this. any thing that is clothing armor, helm cloak ect must be worn in order to keep it. every thing els you will lose, including equiped weapons.

If you dont like your clothing and armore I suggest this. go into the tools creat a small dungeon put in a box. then start making custom weapons. Nothing to powerfull just level apropriat. That way you can hav the armor you want. It will also look the way you want. This is cheating I know but to tell you the trueth the armor and clothing is rather limited in the expantion. At least IMHO.

as for class. I recomend somthing that can stand in melee. Because of AI its alot easer for the main character to be able to melee. A bard can do nicely provided you have a good AC.

Squatting_Monk
2007-11-01, 05:30 PM
Cleric is always a good standby, since you can hold your own in melee and rock at spellcasting. Better yet, it doesn't require any awesome building to play it. If you want to go with an arcane caster or gish, I definitely recommend picking up some levels of Eldritch Knight, since you only lose one caster level and gain some sweet melee ability.

I'm currently trying out a Favored Soul/Blackguard/Stormlord. :smallbiggrin:

Don't forget to check out the official NWN2 forums (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com). There are many experienced people there always willing to help.

Stormcrow
2007-11-01, 06:07 PM
I originally wrote a favoured soul of Talos/stormlord but he's gimmicky and crap and I'm still in the first section so I'll be starting over. :)

Dullyanna
2007-11-01, 06:38 PM
@Stormcrow:What exactly was the problem? My tiefling blackguard didn't have any trouble at all until the very last boss (Mostly... Entirely because I neglected to buff her. One reload later, though, and she was back to making everybody her *****).

Stormcrow
2007-11-01, 06:43 PM
The bard in the original campaign just died constantly.
The issue with the FSoul/SLord was that he really wasn't very good. Maybe a rogue/shadowtheif build :)

Dullyanna
2007-11-01, 06:49 PM
I'd avoid taking too many levels in rogue, if you're going for a shadow thief. Some of their abilities overlap, if I remember correctly. I'd recommend taking a lot of levels in Assassin, until you get Hide in Plain Sight. Oh, and don't forget that SA doesn't help in the very last part of the OC, except against those backstabbing traitors

Hawriel
2007-11-02, 12:49 AM
ok SA does help some in the last part. Epic level Thief ability lets you SA uncritable enemies for half damage. Taking levels in Rogue and Shadowthief is fine, you getting the good of the prc and not losing what makes a rogue worth playing. Its only 5 levels so its worth the time if you want to make a backstaby character.

edit PS

forgot to mention. If you play a character with SA get one off the fallowing, faint or trip. one of your companions gets knock down and it will be better than yours. SA gets nasty when the computer is running the rules under the hood.

Ominous
2007-11-02, 01:40 AM
If you can import a character from any module, you could go the cheat route. Make a small one room module with armor that makes you invincible and a sword that insta-gibs. Add permanent haste and maximum skill bonuses to a ring or cloak. That's what I did for NWN1, and SoU. I had to beat the first chapter of HotU and insert them manually into that module in order to do it there.

Yes, it's cheating, but honestly the combat in all of the campaigns for NWN1 are mind-numbingly dull for fighters. "Click on monster to attack, drink potion when low on health, rinse and repeat." I've merely sped it up and removed the "drink potion" part. If they had actually made combat interesting (perhaps like a tactical RPG, which is what D&D is), I wouldn't cheat. The PWs are where it's at for NWN anyways.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-02, 04:47 AM
I played the whole way through NWN2 as a Bard and had awesome good times and got all the diplomacy stuff and actually enjoyed the game.

my tip... don't expect to remain Chaotic Good.

DeathQuaker
2007-11-02, 07:17 AM
* If you can try to handle it, I would stick with your Bard or a similarly socially-built character -- you get a LOT more out of dialogues with good conversation skills, and also have more chances to gain influence with your companions. You will sometimes earn XP for talking your way through a situation. I'd think a Bard would be really fun to play through MotB with. Combat may be difficult, but I consider the tradeoff of best story-play to be worth it. That's usually why one plays a Bard anyway.

* Your first companion will be a wizard. Your next two will be full divine spellcasters. You guys are going to kick butt with anything vulnerable to magic and can buff yourselves to high heaven, but melee strong fights will probably be difficult for you (at least until you get the one melee-oriented divine caster). Fortunately, there are not a lot of necessary combats before the end of Act I (once you get out of the starting area) and lots of opportunities to earn XP through quests and intelligent roleplaying. Eventually, one way or another, you will get a tank in your party, and then you can use that as your meat shield while you support.

* Keeping the above in mind, a bard's buffs and inspirations will be very handy, and allow your spellcasters to prep/use more damage dealing spells, healing spells, and dispels.

* Combat wise, I'd just make sure you're competent with a melee weapon--maybe either good defensive skills or get some improved crits and the like. Boost your Dex and buff yourself well and enemies should have trouble hitting you. Search the first area you're in very carefully as you should be able to find a weapon usable by a Bard that will get carry you through much of the campaign.

* I'm playing a Dex based Duelist in my game, with lots of social skills... I have some advantages from the rogue class a Bard doesn't, but combat play would probably be otherwise somewhat similar (the main advantage the Rogue has is sneak attack). Main thing is the start of the game will be rough, but once you get past a certain level, fights suddenly become much easier. It might be the insane spellcasting power you get from your companions, or it could be the insane damage your tank companion does. I spent one major fight in a "Dazed" state while everyone else kicked butt around me.

* Not sure if you can (don't know prereqs) but you might look at some prestige classes like Arcane Trickster (a strong PrC) or maybe even Invisible Blade if you also take some rogue levels. Good base class multiclass options would be Rogue or Fighter. In fact, just a couple Fighter levels might help you a lot.

* Good luck, and have fun. It's a good game, and combat's just one part of it, so don't let that scare you off from trying to play the character you want to.

* BTW, I play a Chaotic Good character and I'm toward the end of the game and I'm 0/100 on my alignment (pure chaotic, pure good). There are some abilities you get that will poke you in a Lawful direction, but only a few points at a time, and enough opportunities for Chaotic acts to negate the "damage."

Azuroth
2007-11-02, 12:39 PM
honestly, Bard's can be very, very good. My Bard/Red Dragon Disciple/Neverwinter Nine finished the final campaign with an AC upwards of 52. Nothing like only getting hit on nat. 20's from 90% of the enemies in the game to increase survivability.

Oh, and I didn't have any problem keeping chaotic good.

Hawriel
2007-11-02, 02:33 PM
The problem with alinment is in the expantion Azuroth. I'll not explane why because it will spoil part of the story. Even though its a gimik

DeathQuaker
2007-11-03, 09:43 AM
The problem with alinment is in the expantion Azuroth. I'll not explane why because it will spoil part of the story. Even though its a gimik

We are all talking about the expansion, hon. We're all on the same page. And I'm telling you, I'm finishing the game with a Chaotic Good character just fine. No problems keeping my alignment whatsoever.

Hint: If you are good, you should be able to get a certain ability that works only on undead. And the same area where you get that ability, there is an almost inexhaustible supply of undead. This will enable you to do what you need to do without ever worrying about sliding your Chaos meter towards Law.

If you would like me to elaborate, either PM me or with the OP's permission, I'll give more explicit instructions in a spoiler box.

Stormcrow
2007-11-04, 05:03 PM
I'm running the bard and on the note of a close friend I gave him Bard 14 and Dragon Disciple 5. He's absolutely carving combat, particularly once he's all buffed up.

I need some help nerfing two nightwalkers though, party consists of Bard/Dragon Disciple, A RWizard and a Spirit Shaman. I didn't realise until this morning they have 28 spell resistance and DR. I managed to kill one and get the other down to near death but it hammered my only living character at that point.... :(

DeathQuaker
2007-11-04, 09:36 PM
I'm running the bard and on the note of a close friend I gave him Bard 14 and Dragon Disciple 5. He's absolutely carving combat, particularly once he's all buffed up.

I need some help nerfing two nightwalkers though, party consists of Bard/Dragon Disciple, A RWizard and a Spirit Shaman. I didn't realise until this morning they have 28 spell resistance and DR. I managed to kill one and get the other down to near death but it hammered my only living character at that point.... :(

If the nightwalkers are where I think they are, you should not be far from a place that looks like a sinister version of Kelemvor's temple in Mulsantir.

If you can, run away from the nightwalkers, and go into the temple. Perhaps a bird of peace can aid you in your battle.

Stormcrow
2007-11-04, 10:07 PM
You my lady are a godsend, and eloquent to boot.
Thank you for the well spoken and deviously made advice.

(As you can tell the Favoured Soul and my Bard get on famously. One conversation 24 Influence :P)

DeathQuaker
2007-11-05, 07:40 AM
Glad it helped. Hopefully the Nightwalkers are no more, now? Good luck and good gaming. :smallsmile:

Stormcrow
2007-11-05, 04:43 PM
Game is easily one of the harder ones I've played. My parties penchant for AoE spells is killing me in the house of the bird of peace, from Jars come yet more enemies, on top of knights who _Wil Not Die_.

FoeHammer
2007-11-05, 05:47 PM
my tip... don't expect to remain Chaotic Good.
Two Words:
Eternal Rest

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-07, 08:25 PM
Game is easily one of the harder ones I've played. My parties penchant for AoE spells is killing me in the house of the bird of peace, from Jars come yet more enemies, on top of knights who _Wil Not Die_.

If friendly fire is getting to be an issue, then don't be embarrased to turn down the difficulty level a bit. I play without friendly fire all the time.

Lokey
2007-11-07, 09:35 PM
Grab Undeath to Death and/or Sunburst on Saf. Also every caster's 21st level feat is Vampiric Feast, no question.

I think I cleaned these guys out with lower than level 8 spells exclusively, you're _really_ not going to like the lower level if these guys are giving you problems. However, if you survive that battle, an invis for Saf can mean she can get you 2 levels of experience with one casting of Vampiric Feast ;)

DeathQuaker
2007-11-08, 06:52 AM
from Jars come yet more enemies

Wait! No! From the jars come FOOD! Don't disturb them till you have a better way of dealing with undead. (Although there will still be more regardless.)

Stormcrow
2007-11-08, 05:21 PM
Right theres a potential bug in my game. I've got the whole spirit bar dealy going and I've let it run down pretty low... 38 or so.
Now I can't rest. Is this a game bug or can you not rest with low bar?

Lokey
2007-11-08, 05:36 PM
Right theres a potential bug in my game. I've got the whole spirit bar dealy going and I've let it run down pretty low... 38 or so.
Now I can't rest. Is this a game bug or can you not rest with low bar?
It definitely doesn't have enough feedback. You get hit with 8 hours of spirit munchies at once: that kills you (bar = 0 means you die). Read your feats, you'll probably need to bite the bullet and use Satiate. (Well I don't tend to use that unless I'm at like 2...try Suppress first I guess.)

Stormcrow
2007-11-08, 10:18 PM
It also went let me through the Shadow Door in the top of the town, I havn't had a chance to check the bottom one.