PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Extracting a succubus - how to?

HoboKnight
2020-09-16, 05:51 AM
Allrighty,

say, you are a servant of a powerful being, who wants you to transfer a succubus from point A to B(from dungeon to powerful being's camp - about 50 miles apart). You need to go fetch her in a dungeon, secure her and bring her to your patron. You have at your disposal.
- lizardfolk
- kobolds
- mercenaries (NPCs up to CR 2)
- pretty much any mundane item/pack animals/carts/ballistas ...

Succubus is imprisoned in a last room in dungeon. (adittionaly imprisoned in a sarcophagus, she can't get out of, because lid is really heavy, made of granite)

Now the problem is, she might just Persuade/Charm your party and have you drool away with her instead of bringing her to your boss.

My question is: how do you fulfill your task?

It's clear high-level spells and other high-levele shenannignas are off the table. I'm willing to clarify and other questions as needed.

thank you

Boci
2020-09-16, 06:00 AM
Charm and persuasion aren't the worst threat. Generally PCs are immune to persuasion and she can only charm one of you at a time. The big danger etherealness, which you haven't actually why she hasn't been able to use to get out of the granite sarcophogus, unless granite stops ghosts and I missed that.

But either way, assuming the sarcophogus does somehow stop the etherealness, just transport her in that. Its heavy, but I presum it can be moved, so does attach the lid so it doesn't fall off midtransport and carry her that way.

HoboKnight
2020-09-16, 06:03 AM
Charm and persuasion aren't the worst threat. Generally PCs are immune to persuasion and she can only charm one of you at a time. The big danger etherealness, which you haven't actually why she hasn't been able to use to get out of the granite sarcophogus, unless granite stops ghosts and I missed that.

But either way, assuming the sarcophogus does somehow stop the etherealness, just transport her in that. Its heavy, but I presum it can be moved, so does attach the lid so it doesn't fall off midtransport and carry her that way.

Holy hell! I did not expect the solution to come so fast! Amazing!

Well, I did not mention this, but succubus has with her also an item that emanates 20 ft of AMF. (Still, would this really block her powers?)

Nice. I knew more questions would pop up.

Boci
2020-09-16, 06:19 AM

Well, I did not mention this, but succubus has with her also an item that emanates 20 ft of AMF. (Still, would this really block her powers?)

Probably. Seems succubi are fairly nerfed in an AMF:

Charm: One humanoid the fiend can see within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed for 1 day. The charmed target obeys the fiend's verbal or telepathic commands. If the target suffers any harm or receives a suicidal command, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. If the target successfully saves against the effect, or if the effect on it ends, the target is immune to this fiend's Charm for the next 24 hours.

The fiend can have only one target charmed at a time. If it charms another, the effect on the previous target ends.

Draining Kiss: The fiend kisses a creature charmed by it or a willing creature. The target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 32 (5d10 + 5) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.

Etherealness: The fiend magically enters the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, or vice versa.

They still have 66 HP and good resistances, 15 AC and hit at +5 for 1d6+3, so they're not going to be taken out by a commoner with a stick, but they're not a big threat. They can fly, that seems explicitly non-magical since it requires them to have wings, but that also means you can find their wings to prevent them flying. +9 to deception and persuasion is handle by ignoring whatever she says/gagging her, (edit: gagging won't work ,she has telepathy) and whilst Shapechanger doesn't actually say its a magical effect, so maybe you could argue they could still do that in an AMF, even if they can they're limited to small and medium humanoid shapes, and their gear and clothing stay the same, so chain them up tightly enough and that won't help them.

Valmark
2020-09-16, 06:26 AM

Nice. I knew more questions would pop up.

If it doesn't block her powers then there is no way to carry her- she can go ethereal and leave. If it does then just knock her out and transport her, or transport the coffin.

You could also use dimensional shackles if you removed the antimagic field- this would let you use a teleportation circle (assuming the powerful being has one) to go there fast with a succubus uncapable of going ethereal.

EDIT: Thinking about it AMF must be blocking her ethereal thing or there would be literally nothing keeping her trapped.

Boci
2020-09-16, 06:28 AM
If it doesn't block her powers then there is no way to carry her- she can go ethereal and leave. If it does then just knock her out and transport her, or transport the coffin.

You could also use dimensional shackles if you removed the antimagic field- this would let you use a teleportation circle (assuming the powerful being has one) to go there fast with a succubus uncapable of going ethereal.

I don't think dimensional shackles falls under "- pretty much any mundane item/pack animals/carts/ballistas ...". Granted neither is an AMD device, but we're told that is included. Also the OP says high level spells are off the table. What level is teleportation circle?

Valmark
2020-09-16, 06:32 AM
I don't think dimensional shackles falls under "- pretty much any mundane item/pack animals/carts/ballistas ...". Granted neither is an AMD device, but we're told that is included. Also the OP says high level spells are off the table. What level is teleportation circle?

I figured they could go find them if needed.

Teleportation Circle is 5th level- it's an early tier 2 spell, not high level at all.

Unoriginal
2020-09-16, 06:44 AM

Yeah, if the Succubus is already stuck in the sarcophagus, and the sarcophagus's holding magic won't stop working if moved, then you'll be good with a wheelbarrow or the like.

HoboKnight
2020-09-16, 07:02 AM
As far as I go, this is solved.

A wheelbarrow and half the village to lift/transfer the sarcophagus.

Good job, playground.