PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new plane

Mrark
2020-09-16, 09:58 AM
Hi. I am playing a level wizard 5, incantatrix 10, archamage 2, High incantatrix 1 character, and I just gained the Genesys spell, so I was really wondering how could I build my plane. Everything too broken is banned (weirdly-timed planes or similiar), but still I would like something fancy or even useful. It would be thought as a safe place where to hide my phylactery, but yet the idea is to keep getting it bigger and bigger, and to actually build it like a whole new world, with life, and maybe even people at some points. Some advice?

Kayblis
2020-09-16, 10:15 AM
General Genesis tips:
1 - You can have more than one. Make as many as you have XP for if you want, there's no downside besides cost. Each can have different properties too, so you can do it all.

2 - Plane Shift requires a tuning fork, and at first only you know how to make a tuning fork for your planes. This is relevant, because knowledge about your plane is also unavailable to others at first. Reaching them is not as easy as "I cast Plane Shift into Mrark's third house".

3 - You can make a plane out of rare/expensive materials, like diamonds or adamantine instead of dirt and stone.

4 - You can also make it specially deadly by immitating other planes' properties, like constant elemental damage. Pick a damage type you're immune or resistant to, and have the first line of defense against invaders be "just a ton of natural damage".

5 - You can connect your planes through portals if you want, and have them work as stopgaps between planar features. With that, you can have different environments available without burning a spell each time you want to go to the next demiplane.

6 - Life can be brought into it, and you can grow things at an accelerated rate with spells. You can eventually make deals with villagers and have them move in if you want friends and visitors. You could even have one demiplane be your own village, and have it connected to different points of the world through portals to become a trading city. The possibilities are endless.

All of this works by the rules, you just need to talk it out with your DM. If everything goes well, your character can even become an NPC in the world you guys play on, for later campaigns.

Mrark
2020-09-16, 03:35 PM
General Genesis tips:
1 - You can have more than one. Make as many as you have XP for if you want, there's no downside besides cost. Each can have different properties too, so you can do it all.

2 - Plane Shift requires a tuning fork, and at first only you know how to make a tuning fork for your planes. This is relevant, because knowledge about your plane is also unavailable to others at first. Reaching them is not as easy as "I cast Plane Shift into Mrark's third house".

3 - You can make a plane out of rare/expensive materials, like diamonds or adamantine instead of dirt and stone.

4 - You can also make it specially deadly by immitating other planes' properties, like constant elemental damage. Pick a damage type you're immune or resistant to, and have the first line of defense against invaders be "just a ton of natural damage".

5 - You can connect your planes through portals if you want, and have them work as stopgaps between planar features. With that, you can have different environments available without burning a spell each time you want to go to the next demiplane.

6 - Life can be brought into it, and you can grow things at an accelerated rate with spells. You can eventually make deals with villagers and have them move in if you want friends and visitors. You could even have one demiplane be your own village, and have it connected to different points of the world through portals to become a trading city. The possibilities are endless.

All of this works by the rules, you just need to talk it out with your DM. If everything goes well, your character can even become an NPC in the world you guys play on, for later campaigns.

Thanks! This is really useful. I was also looking for something a little bit more specific; what are your favourite planes to use and why? Is there any plane related to pure magic or something like that?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-16, 03:55 PM
My suggestions from another thread:

Get yourself a poison ring spellblade of wish, miracle, and reality revision. Then find a way to become immune to information-gathering via metafaculty. That last one is easily the most difficult, but it's not impossible.This is to prevent you being teleported out of your demiplane against your will.

And if you want to make 'porting in nearly impossible, fill your entire demiplane with a single solid chunk of riverine, but with tunnels throughout small enough that you need to be Fine size with Slight Build to squeeze through. Anything larger than smaller-than-two-size-categories-below-Fine will find it incredibly difficult to get in. Even being incorporeal will be impossible, since the demiplane is filled with a force effect.

Most of the area is also filled with teleportation-blocking effects, except one corner of the demiplane. Fill that section (which is the only section that's large enough to hold a larger creature) with Transdimensional quintessence, so anyone who tries to 'port in without permission and isn't minuscule will appear already in stasis, no save, no SR, and even ethereality and incorporeality won't help. There's an itty-bitty room right on the edge of both the quintessence room and the teleportation wards that can be 'ported in, but it's trapped to dump anyone in the room without a password-thought and a passkey directly into the quintessence. Or better yet, ward the entire non-quintessence'd area, then make yourself immune to the effects of the quintessence (such as by taking illithid savant and eating a time dragon to become immune to negative temporal effects). Then you'll appear in the quintessence but be entirely unaffected by it.

I'd suggest making the plane timeless with regards to magic, as that's a magic trait and not a time trait. Having all your spell effects stay in effect while there (and that includes any wards you put up) be of Permanent duration would help assuage your worries about keeping your protections stable while you're away.

Mrark
2020-09-17, 02:00 PM
My suggestions from another thread:

This is to prevent you being teleported out of your demiplane against your will.

I'd suggest making the plane timeless with regards to magic, as that's a magic trait and not a time trait. Having all your spell effects stay in effect while there (and that includes any wards you put up) be of Permanent duration would help assuage your worries about keeping your protections stable while you're away.

can you link the thread?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-09-17, 02:28 PM
can you link the thread?The little brown button next to my name in the post I quoted leads to the post in the thread, but here it is again for your convenience: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?588807-How-much-safe-can-be-a-demiplane-created-by-Genesis&p=23932802#post23932802

redking
2020-09-17, 03:47 PM
Have genesis have the effect of create greater demiplane (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane/) from pathfinder instead. That should get you all the options that you need.

Particle_Man
2020-09-17, 10:20 PM
Fill the plane with snakes.

Beware of Samuel L. Jackson.