PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Putting undead in a time out. (oathbreaker paladin)

Dman
2020-09-17, 08:21 AM
So im playing an oathbreaker and im just wondering what the cheapest and easiest way to control/contain various undead would be incase my channel divinity happens to fail.

firelistener
2020-09-17, 12:22 PM
You won't have anything else that even comes close to Turn Undead (Turn the Unholy for devo paladin) in its effectiveness, but simple stuff like Protection From Evil, Sanctuary, and Shield of Faith are great for helping protect yourself while you dive into a horde of enemies or for shoring up a party member that looks like they might get surrounded. If it's a single strong enemy, Compelled Duel works well, but it's also a concentration spell. Command doesn't work on undead, unfortunately, so it's only good for fiends as another option.

If Turn the Unholy doesn't work well, you're honestly better going for raw damage output because it's likely your dealing with stuff that will beat wisdom saves reliably, which is most of your spells.

Dman
2020-09-17, 12:51 PM
You won't have anything else that even comes close to Turn Undead (Turn the Unholy for devo paladin) in its effectiveness, but simple stuff like Protection From Evil, Sanctuary, and Shield of Faith are great for helping protect yourself while you dive into a horde of enemies or for shoring up a party member that looks like they might get surrounded. If it's a single strong enemy, Compelled Duel works well, but it's also a concentration spell. Command doesn't work on undead, unfortunately, so it's only good for fiends as another option.

If Turn the Unholy doesn't work well, you're honestly better going for raw damage output because it's likely your dealing with stuff that will beat wisdom saves reliably, which is most of your spells.

I dont want more control options. I want something like a bag of holding that I can keep the bigger undead stuff (like a Minotaur skeleton) in place incase it makes the save and i have to wait an hour+ to get more chances

iTreeby
2020-09-17, 01:05 PM
Shove them into a portable hole? Use manacles and put them in a cart?

Dman
2020-09-18, 12:43 AM
Shove them into a portable hole? Use manacles and put them in a cart?

a portable hole would work for the smaller stuff but was mainly looking for solutions for the larger things

Grim Portent
2020-09-18, 04:34 AM
Manacles, chains and iron spikes. Shackle their hands and feet, secure them to the ground, big rocks and trees with chains held in place by spikes.

Another option would be to dig a big pit to stick them in or put them in a strong cage, but manacles and chains are easier to transport.

Skeletons and zombies also lack blindsight, so you can stick a sack over their head while they're restrained to further pacify them.

Technically a blinded and deafened zombie should just stand around doing nothing unless someone physically touches it. A sack and some wax poured in it's ears should pacify a zombie for as long as you need to. The things are really stupid.

Skeletons being described as smarter are more of a problem, they'd probably take a sack off if they have free hands, and might try to bust out of restraints even if they can't see/hear any nearby creatures. Minotaur skeletons and similar bruisers can bust chains/manacles by rolling 16 on a strengh check, but I personally would rule that multiple manacles, chains and other methods combined is sufficient to restrain them permanently. You would need bigger manacles for minotaurs and similar though, normal ones only fit small and medium creatures.