PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Oracle [PEACH]

Amechra
2020-09-17, 04:20 PM
Primal Path: Path of the Oracle

3 :- Killing the Future
Whenever you enter a rage, roll a d20 and record the results. At any point during your rage, you may replace any attack roll, skill check, or saving throw made by you or a creature you can see with that roll. You must choose to do so before the roll, and you can replace a roll in this way only once per turn. At 10th level, roll an additional d20. Each roll may only be used once, and you lose any unused rolls at the end of your rage.

3 :- Prophet's Trance
While you are raging, you may spend a bonus action babbling incoherently, overwhelmed by the myriad futures dancing in front of your eyes. If you do, this prevents your rage from ending prematurely, just as if you had made an attack. If you manage to rage for a full minute, you receive the results of an Augury spell as the fit leaves you. Auguries performed this way don't face the cumulative chance of a random reading.

6 :- Unburdened Vision
During your prophetic frenzies, your perspicacity is unmatched. You gain proficiency with Wisdom saving throws if you don't have it already, and have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) checks you make.

10 :- Foreseen Demise
Your gift of prophecy never truly leaves you - you always score critical hits on a 19-20. In addition, you may choose to benefit from a Divination instead of an Augury at the end of your rage - you still do not need to worry about the potential for a random result.

14 :- Untethered Insight
As long as you are raging, you gain all of the benefits of the True Seeing spell. These benefits extend to all of your senses, not just sight. As a side effect, Charisma (Deception) rolls made against you while you are raging are made with disadvantage.

This subclass basically started with Prophet's Trance, and then spiraled off from there. The subclass lets you babble as a bonus action instead of attacking people so that you can use Rage out of combat. You know, for divinatory purposes.

Daphne
2020-09-17, 05:39 PM
Killing the Future is useless if you roll badly, and I don't see the need for tying it to advantage.

All features requires you to rage, there's no need to tie everything to it imo. Extra criticals feel out of place.

I like the flavor though.

Amechra
2020-09-17, 06:05 PM
Killing the Future is useless if you roll badly, and I don't see the need for tying it to advantage.

All features requires you to rage, there's no need to tie everything to it imo. Extra criticals feel out of place.

I like the flavor though.

If you roll low on Killing the Future, you can blank an opponent's attack. They're also getting advantage on their attack roll, after all. I might just swap it over to applying to more types of rolls, just like Portent - I might've been a bit too cautious, honestly.

And I hear you about everything being a little too tied to Rage. I'm going to have to revisit that - Unburdened Vision could definitely be something that works outside of Rage. I gave them Extra Criticals for a few different reasons:

Mechanically, it works really well with Reckless Attacks, Brutal Criticals, and Killing the Future (since it gives you roughly a 20% chance of having at least one automatic crit in your back pocket).
Thematically, it works like True Strike - your prophetic abilities subconsciously guide your weapons, allowing you to strike more telling blows.

And I'm glad you like the flavor!

Daphne
2020-09-17, 08:20 PM
If you roll low on Killing the Future, you can blank an opponent's attack. They're also getting advantage on their attack roll, after all. I might just swap it over to applying to more types of rolls, just like Portent - I might've been a bit too cautious, honestly.

Oh, I missed the fact that it worked with enemy attacks.

And I hear you about everything being a little too tied to Rage. I'm going to have to revisit that - Unburdened Vision could definitely be something that works outside of Rage.
Maybe proficiency in Wisdom saves and advantage on perception checks?

Amechra
2020-09-17, 08:56 PM
Oh, I missed the fact that it worked with enemy attacks.

Which is a pretty good reason to change the feature - I was being a little too cute when I came up with that one.

Maybe proficiency in Wisdom saves and advantage on perception checks?

Works for me.