PDA

View Full Version : Thought bottle question

Raishoiken
2020-09-17, 04:46 PM
So since there's not anything that explicitly says that the xp lost due to storing can't reduce your level in thought bottle's description, wouldn't that mean if you had 12 xp above lvl 13 and used a thought bottle, you'd drop to lvl 12 and the xp in the bottle would be that of a high lvl 12?

Raishoiken
2020-09-18, 01:44 AM
Edit: typo

frogglesmash
2020-09-19, 02:06 PM
I don't know if there are any rules that apply to this specifically, but the rules for both magic item crafting, and spell components explicitly disallow spending so much xp that you delevel, so we can reasonably assume that the RAI is against it happening here as well.

the_tick_rules
2020-09-19, 02:34 PM
I would tend to agree with froggle you can't go down a level. I'm not sure how to apply it though. You just get a discount when you use it? The attempt to use it fails?

frogglesmash
2020-09-19, 02:42 PM
I would tend to agree with froggle you can't go down a level. I'm not sure how to apply it though. You just get a discount when you use it? The attempt to use it fails?

If you go off precedent, then you just can't do it, and if you try you get the same result as someone trying to cast a spell without spell slots