View Full Version : Half-Golem equivalent of Dragon Acolyte

Novir Vetru
2020-09-17, 09:02 PM
I am trying to create a prestige class similar to that of the Dragon Acolyte from the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide, but I am unsure of how to go about it. Was hoping someone could give me some pointers.

Thurbane
2020-09-17, 09:13 PM
Green Star Adept (Complete Arcane) and Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron) are somewhat like this...

CIDE
2020-09-18, 03:42 PM
I am trying to create a prestige class similar to that of the Dragon Acolyte from the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide, but I am unsure of how to go about it. Was hoping someone could give me some pointers.

DMG has the Dragon Disciple. Did you mean that class?

Green Star Adept (Complete Arcane) and Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron) are somewhat like this...

I refer you to my signature for thoughts on the Green Star Adept. The Renegade Mastermaker is still a pretty solid class and fun to play. If you go the Artificer route you're further ahead just playing a Warforged Artificer for all 20 levels, though. But who doesn't like Magitech cyborgs?

ShurikVch
2020-09-18, 04:59 PM
Fleshwarper PrC (Lords of Madness): despite being blatantly Aberration-themed, nothing prevents you from applying Draconic Grafts every single time

hamishspence
2020-09-18, 05:06 PM
The OP wants to become more construct-like over time, just as the Dragon Disciple becomes more dragon-like over time.

Thurbane
2020-09-18, 05:20 PM
The OP wants to become more construct-like over time, just as the Dragon Disciple becomes more dragon-like over time.

I refer you to my signature for thoughts on the Green Star Adept.
GSA is far from an optimal class, but then again, either is Dragon Disciple. At least GSA gets some casting progression. However, I do agree RM is a better option mechanically, which is why I included it as well.

If OP is looking for a PrC that turns you into a construct over time, in a similar fashion to DD, then GSA is one of the closest fits in published PrCs.

ShurikVch
2020-09-18, 05:29 PM
OK, my mistake

Still, no biggie: just replace "Draconic Grafts" with "Maug Grafts" or "Warforged Grafts" - and idea still serviceable

CIDE
2020-09-18, 05:34 PM
GSA is far from an optimal class, but then again, either is Dragon Disciple. At least GSA gets some casting progression. However, I do agree RM is a better option mechanically, which is why I included it as well.

If OP is looking for a PrC that turns you into a construct over time, in a similar fashion to DD, then GSA is one of the closest fits in published PrCs.

I apologize. My GSA comments should've been in blue (though, I still dislike the class because of how bad it is despite how much I love the fluff).

Thurbane
2020-09-18, 05:45 PM
I apologize. My GSA comments should've been in blue (though, I still dislike the class because of how bad it is despite how much I love the fluff).

No worries at all. Hey, I get the GSA thing.

It's a class I really love the concept of, but I agree that it kind of sucks mechanically. Should have been 8/10 casting, or even 10/10. If you are losing Con, no need to lose half your casting levels!

Novir Vetru
2020-09-20, 12:05 PM
I did check out GSA and the other classes all of you mentioned, but tbh my end goal is to obtain the half-golem template from page 209 of the second monster manual, and in doing so choose which type of golem you would like to emulate through it. Gaining abilities specific to the type of golem you choose at the start of the class.

ShurikVch
2020-09-20, 01:28 PM
People on this forum said it was allowed to just buy it for gp, since it isn't that different from grafts.
And risk to completely lose your character to a bad saving throw is a deterrent by itself.
Or was it the very thing you're wanted to avoid by making up the PrC?
Anyway, the templates in question are so flat it would be to little for the whole 10 levels. So, maybe 5-levels-long (or even 3-levels-long)?

Thurbane
2020-09-20, 06:25 PM
The issue I can see is that some Half-Golems have clearly better abilities than others. For instance, Flesh gives +5 natural AC, DR 5*, berserk, +6 Str; Iron gives +11 natural AC, breath weapon, DR 25*, rust vulnerability, Str +12. It would be unfair to gain the benefits over the same number levels for those 2 examples.

*Don't have the update booklet with me.

Maybe just see if the DM/you could make a racial class/savage progression for each variety of Half-Golem? Might be easier than a PrC.