PDA

View Full Version : PC and multi attack

LaRayna
2020-09-18, 07:33 AM
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to 5e here and I have a question regarding pc races with multiple natural attacks. I'm playing a third party race (tosculi) that has a claw and a bite attack. Does this work like in previous editions where you can make both in the same round but only once each since there is no bab?

J-H
2020-09-18, 07:39 AM
What does the creature entry specifically say?

Most creatures with natural weapons have a Multiattack Action, which specifies which natural attacks they can take together.

Note that the Multiattack action is not the same as the Attack Action, and thus is not modified by gaining Extra Attack at level 5.

Aett_Thorn
2020-09-18, 07:41 AM
Most classes can only use a single attack in a round, so you'd need to choose which you'd want to use, either claw or bite. Martial classes, at level 5+, get to make multiple attacks when using the Attack Action on their turn. In this case, you could pick and choose how you want to do it with natural weapons. For instance, you could make two bite attacks, one bite and one claw attack, or two claw attacks. Or, you could swing a weapon and make a claw or bite attack as well.

Fighters, at higher levels, get even more attacks per action, and you can likewise mix-and-match your attack types for each attack you want to make.

Does this make any sense?

Zhorn
2020-09-18, 07:42 AM
Excluding class features, you take the Attack Action and you can make one of any of the attacks you have available to you, be that attacking with a weapon you wield or with a natural weapon your form has (bite, claw, horns, etc).

If you have the 5th level feature from your class for extra attack, your Attack action can make two attacks, with them each being of your pick of available wielded weapons or natural weapons (or shoves, or grapples, or unarmed strikes)

If your race or class has a special feature that allows for a bonus action attack, you can use that (assuming you are meeting the conditions that the Bonus Action attack requires) to make an attack. if it does not specify any particular weapon attack, then it usually means you can choose your natural weapon if so inclined.