PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter subclass: Physical Paragon (PEACH)

clash
2020-09-18, 05:15 PM
Physical Paragon

3 Balanced Fighting:
Starting at level 3 you learn how to focus power and speed into all your attacks. Instead of adding your strength or dexterity modifier to the damage fo a weapon attack you can add both.

3 Unarmored defence
Starting at level 3 when unarmored your ac = 10 + dex + str

7 Expert Athlete
Starting at level 7 you gain proficiency in athletics and acrobatics skills. If you already have proficiency in the skill you instead add double your proficiency bonus.

10 Uncanny Sprinter
Starting at level 10 you learn to run with incredible speed. You can dash as a bonus action. Additionally when you dash your movement speed is tripled for the turn instead of doubled.

15 Relentless
Starting at level 15 you gain an additional use of Second wind per short rest.

18 Perfect Paragon
When you reach level 18 you become a perfect physical paragon. Increase your strength and dexterity modifiers by 2, this can increase your scores to 22 if they are already at 20.

Composer99
2020-09-18, 07:38 PM
Kind of an upgrade to champion, which I guess is the intent?

The 3rd level damage boost might be a bit much over the long run, especially for a class that gets as many ASIs as the fighter and in conjunction with the capstone.

clash
2020-09-18, 08:10 PM
Ya there were 2 factors that inspired this.

1. I wanted to create a fighter that fills the same niche as there champion without ripping off features freon it directly and otherwise being competitive with eldritch knight and battle master.
2. I wanted to create a fighter that rewarded getting up both strength and dexterity.

It works out to similar damage bonus as the brute but only with significant investment. In a featless game the fighter can max strength by level 6 with the right race and if he goes all in dexterity by level 12. So by level 12 your subclass combined with a significant allocation of your starting stats and 2 asi spent on DeX gets you +5 damage per attack or +15 damage per turn at level 11. That's a pretty heavy investment and it should be a suitably rewarding gain.

In a game with feats there is likely the opportunity cost is much higher. I feel like it isn't too strong but I'm definitely open to changing it I'd you think it is.

The capstone was what I was most worried about so I may have to come up with something else for that, but it seemed very thematic.

eunwoler
2020-09-19, 04:06 AM
Most of this is cool except the class name. Just could be called champion but actually fitting. What the **** is a champion anyway? The PHB alludes to a physically athletic fighter who focuses on getting all fit and strong instead of learning techniques, but then there's nothing about physical development at all in the actual combat features.

Balancing damage around Brute is not a good idea though. That subclass is infamous for being overpowered in terms of how much damage it pumps out especially after getting all those extra attacks. On the other hand Battlemaster is infamously frontloaded. Maybe some maths that wedges this one inbetween.

Also a bit weird that if this is filling Champion's niche why at level 10 it gives a new thing to do, especially one that overlaps with a low level Rogue feature. The idea of the Champion is that you can play it and never have to learn to play with anything unique to the class, everything in the original works passively or just adds more of an existing class feature. So I think the second wind buff is fine but this one is a little off.

clash
2020-09-22, 02:21 PM
Balancing damage around Brute is not a good idea though. That subclass is infamous for being overpowered in terms of how much damage it pumps out especially after getting all those extra attacks. On the other hand Battlemaster is infamously frontloaded. Maybe some maths that wedges this one inbetween.

I mean sure it can do as much damage as the brute, but the brute gave you that damage for free. This costs an additional 2-3 asis for that damage plus points from point buy. Asis that could be spent on feats also increasing your damage so I dont think it is overtuned in that regard.

Also a bit weird that if this is filling Champion's niche why at level 10 it gives a new thing to do, especially one that overlaps with a low level Rogue feature. The idea of the Champion is that you can play it and never have to learn to play with anything unique to the class, everything in the original works passively or just adds more of an existing class feature. So I think the second wind buff is fine but this one is a little off.

Ya I wasn't sure entirely what to put for the tenth level ability. I liked the bonuses to dash cause they show someone really physically fit. I was also thinking about possibly making shoves, grapples etc easier cause it has good synergy with the level 3 ability and is on theme. Any suggestions?

Old Harry MTX
2020-09-23, 01:12 AM
I mean sure it can do as much damage as the brute, but the brute gave you that damage for free. This costs an additional 2-3 asis for that damage plus points from point buy. Asis that could be spent on feats also increasing your damage so I dont think it is overtuned in that regard.

Ya I wasn't sure entirely what to put for the tenth level ability. I liked the bonuses to dash cause they show someone really physically fit. I was also thinking about possibly making shoves, grapples etc easier cause it has good synergy with the level 3 ability and is on theme. Any suggestions?

You could add a sort of speed increase for each level like the one of the monk, and maybe just add something like advantage, or the ability to use Strength instead of Charisma, on intimidation checks at 10th if the target is large or less...

I would add Unarmored Defence together with Unarmored Movement also because you don't have other abilities that require you to be unarmored, so as it is Unarmored Defence is a bit decontestualized.