PDA

View Full Version : Lore Bard Feat Choices - Level 8

Shyvralynn
2020-09-18, 07:09 PM
About to hit 8 and not sure which feat to pickup between War Caster and Moderately Armored.

I've maxed Charisma, and am at 17 Dex, for 15AC in studded leather.

Moderately Armored would get me shield proficiency (+2AC) and +1 Dex giving me +1 AC for a total of +3AC, as well as boosts to Dex Skill Checks, Initiative, Dex Saving Throw, etc. .

War Caster is War Caster.

In battle I find myself standing back and prioritizing maintaining Concentration, but I can't always keep my distance.

I was given Magic Initiate at char creation and so I have access to Shield (and can cast with my spell slots thanks to DM ruling).

Would I be better served with Moderately Armored at 8, Resilient at 12 (14 Const, +2)... Or War Caster at 8, something else at 12?

Thanks in advance!

LudicSavant
2020-09-18, 07:25 PM
About to hit 8 and not sure which feat to pickup between War Caster and Moderately Armored.

Moderately Armored would get me shield proficiency (+2AC) and +1 Dex giving me +1 AC for a total of +3AC, as well as boosts to Dex Skill Checks, Initiative, Dex Saving Throw, etc. .

In battle I find myself standing back and prioritizing maintaining Concentration, but I can't always keep my distance.

I was given Magic Initiate at char creation and so I have access to Shield (and can cast with my spell slots thanks to DM ruling).

Would I be better served with Moderately Armored at 8, Resilient at 12 (14 Const, +2)... Or War Caster at 8, something else at 12?

Thanks in advance!

War Caster isn't that special unless you're the frontline tank (in which case, it makes you sticky). For your character I'd say take Moderately armored instead. Going first, making dex saves, and especially not getting hit all improve your Concentration, in addition to the other nice things they do.

Finney
2020-09-18, 07:26 PM

Thanks in advance!

You might also consider taking Resilient (Con), if your primary concern is maintaining concentration. It depends on a few factors, though, like your current constitution score and how long the campaign will last.

In the short term, the War Caster feat is likely to provide more benefit for maintaining concentration because advantage is roughly equivalent to a +5 bonus. If your campaign is long-lived and your character makes it to tier 3 or 4, though, I think Resilient (Con) is the better option. Not only will it eventually match the +5 bonus from War Caster, it will surpass it at level 17. Plus you also get proficiency for every other constitution saving throw, too, which is really strong.

CTurbo
2020-09-19, 01:46 AM
I think Moderately Armored is an extremely underrated feat for Rogues, most Bards, and most Warlocks and the fact that you have a 17 Dex and already maxed Cha, I say go for it. That would be my pick.

Warcaster is a good feat though. You could always grab it at level 12 though if between now and then you find yourself having a hard time maintaining concentration. Moderately Armored helps with concentration too.

Aaron Underhand
2020-09-19, 01:53 AM
Moderately armoured, I took it even without maxed Cha, and I'd dipped one level of wizard at 2nd so also had shield....

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-09-19, 04:02 AM
I usually take ritual caster and drow high magic(if available).
Res(con) is better then war caster if you don't need to use the reaction spell.

The best way to keep concentration IMO is not being a target.
I drop a strong concentration spell as my lore bard and run away to a safe place.

Keravath
2020-09-19, 07:57 AM
Some decent choices ..

- resilient (con) - I consider this essential as you get closer to tier 3 - making concentration saves and con saves vs spells can be crucial and this helps a lot. My lore bard is a variant human and started with this feat. (I picked up the armor/shield/shield spell/agonizing blast/ and other useful abilities by multiclassing 2 levels of hexblade warlock).

- moderately armored - switch to half-plate and a shield for 19AC - depends on how often you get hit for this to be worthwhile

- inspiring leader - with a maxed charisma this a very good party booster

- ritual caster (wizard) - there are lots of very useful and flavorful rituals that you can pick up - find familiar, leomunds tiny hut, rarys telepathic bond, detect magic, identify etc.

War caster isn't very useful for you ... if you want to make concentration checks then resilient con is a better choice. IF you are wielding a shield and end up finding a staff that is worth using then you would need war caster to cast VS spells without putting down the staff. However, if you aren't using weapons much or holding a shield, war caster is generally a waste especially since a bard doesn't have the greatest cantrips to use with it.

P.S. If it fits the campaign - a couple of levels of hexblade warlock can be an effective combination with a lore bard.

Frogreaver
2020-09-19, 03:43 PM

Thanks in advance!

It depends a bit, what cantrip/spells do you normally use while in combat?

Chugger
2020-09-20, 02:49 AM
you can 1 dip hexblade to get armor, shield and shield spell - EB too. Maybe armor of agathys.

saying this mostly so that people know this is an option

For you med. armor would mean you're hit less often, but resil con or warcaster would mean concentrating better - I have no idea which is better.

bid
2020-09-21, 12:35 AM
Inspiring leader, no questions asked.
Use the shield spell for the few times you need protection.