PDA

View Full Version : Game Day '07, anyone going?

Gerrtt
2007-11-01, 06:58 PM
Just wondering who's going to DnD Gameday '07. Personally, I've landed myself in the DM's chair this year for a store near my home. If you're going say where you're attending and what you're doing there (playing or DMing).

Me: Downtown Comics; Indianapolis IN. Dungeon Master.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-01, 07:35 PM
Due to the lack of a nearby store, I am running a one-shot version of Pathfinder gaming at my college's gaming club. I know one or two of my friends are going back at home (instead of fall prom *snicker*).

Seffbasilisk
2007-11-01, 07:39 PM
The Toy Wiz where the group I DM meets. I've basically commanded my entire gaming group to be there. My first DM is running the game...so it should be interesting as we haven't exchanged more then ten words in the last two years or so.

nobodylovesyou4
2007-11-01, 08:14 PM
Due to the lack of a nearby store, I am running a one-shot version of Pathfinder gaming at my college's gaming club. I know one or two of my friends are going back at home (instead of fall prom *snicker*).

hey, shut up. i think they did that on purpose so that nerds have something to do that day, and dont cry themselves to sleep like they used to have to. sorry if i offended any nerds who actually do have social plans, btw.

Suzuro
2007-11-01, 08:18 PM
Wow....I'm going to sound retarded...but....Game day?

-Suzuro

Jack Mann
2007-11-01, 08:24 PM
Wizards gives out packets to various groups (mostly gaming shops) to run a premade adventure, with special minis and things given to participants. Happens every year around this time.

I'm afraid I won't be able to attend this year, which is a pity. I had a great time at last year's (though the adventure was wretched, and the premade characters awful), and met some nice people. Unfortunately, my recruiter needs me to help him out at an air show. Gotta do my duty.

nobodylovesyou4
2007-11-01, 08:30 PM
Wizards gives out packets to various groups (mostly gaming shops) to run a premade adventure, with special minis and things given to participants. Happens every year around this time.

I'm afraid I won't be able to attend this year, which is a pity. I had a great time at last year's (though the adventure was wretched, and the premade characters awful), and met some nice people. Unfortunately, my recruiter needs me to help him out at an air show. Gotta do my duty.

heh, me and lord tartaraus went together last year with some other friends... i think we should have him tell you how THAT went.

Gerrtt
2007-11-01, 09:37 PM

Wretched and awful are understatements...

There's little to no way that final fight could be won as far as I saw it, not with those characters. I mean come on, a Pally with 11 charisma? What's the point?!

Jack Mann
2007-11-01, 09:44 PM
My group managed it, but only because the DM let us rest up before the fight, and allowed me to redo my spell list. He also changed the DCs on the traps to give the rogue a chance to be useful.

Gerrtt
2007-11-01, 09:52 PM
My DM was not so polite. We basically went in to the fight right before it with only 3/5ths of the party. The Ranger, the Rogue, and the Cleric (me) and the Wizard and his magma hurling friend killed us (curse you sleep). We didn't even get to the freaking Hell Cat.

AlterForm
2007-11-01, 09:55 PM
Sadly, two of the people from my regular group had to cancel (debate tourney :smalltongue: ). Still, I'm going, just for the heck of it. And one of the other guys in my group works there!

Gryphon's Games and Comics. Fort Collins, CO. Player.

(probably gonna go with the dwarven paladin...personally, I just can't RP cross-gender, and the other two male characters just aren't that optimized...I mean, 2 levels of rogue? With throwing axes? Ugh! http://anvarath.fu8.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif )

Gerrtt
2007-11-01, 10:07 PM
Dude that rogue is awesome! Yeah, he's not optimized for sneak attacks, but he's actually pretty good. That sorcerer though...shudder. The throwing axes thing is actually a good move for him, cause he's got a good dex and he gets a bonus to throwing weapons and he can throw two at once and he's got the feats to make him good at it (PBS, Precise).

And regarding gender, you don't have to play as a girl if you don't want to.

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-01, 10:08 PM
heh, me and lord tartaraus went together last year with some other friends... i think we should have him tell you how THAT went.

Ill tell them. The (mostly good alighned)party was staying at a monastery. Late into the night, the monastery came under attack. No group had beaten this premade campaign yet. We did...because we just said "screw it" and waked away.

To keep from boredom, we came back after a while and I got knocked out by a couple of undead controlled by some d-bag wizard while Nobodylovesyou4 cast invisibility and ran.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-01, 10:31 PM
Ill tell them. The (mostly good alighned)party was staying at a monastery. Late into the night, the monastery came under attack. No group had beaten this premade campaign yet. We did...because we just said "screw it" and waked away.

To keep from boredom, we came back after a while and I got knocked out by a couple of undead controlled by some d-bag wizard while Nobodylovesyou4 cast invisibility and ran.

..and you froze to death and my paladin became a blackguard :smallbiggrin:

But yay, that game was sad. the DM was an a******* which I rarely use to describe people, but he just pissed me off. So basically, I survived the fight by joining the enemy and nobodylovesyou ran. It kind of sucked, but we got to keep all the dungeon titles, the map, the adventure booklet and all the miniatures :smallbiggrin: That was awesome.

RTGoodman
2007-11-01, 11:35 PM
Happens every year around this time.

Yep. And it always happens to be the one weekend within a few weeks both before and after that I have to do something. Every single year. :smallfurious:

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-01, 11:48 PM
Yep. And it always happens to be the one weekend within a few weeks both before and after that I have to do something. Every single year. :smallfurious:

Hehe, just like it is always the exact same day as fall prom for my old highschool. Of course my friends are all losers and I have personal reasons and beliefs that prevent from going, so it all works out :smallsmile:

And we weren't the only ones...

nobodylovesyou4
2007-11-02, 05:02 AM
Hehe, just like it is always the exact same day as fall prom for my old highschool. Of course my friends are all losers and I have personal reasons and beliefs that prevent from going, so it all works out :smallsmile:

And we weren't the only ones...

by "personal reasons" you mean you cant get a date?:smalltongue:

Overlard
2007-11-02, 07:10 AM
I'm going to the event at London Dungeon. Could be interesting.

BrotherMick
2007-11-02, 07:19 AM
soo is it too late to sign up and if not how do you? cause theres a game shop up the street that is basicly run by some friends of mine and i would think they would be interested.

Saph
2007-11-02, 07:27 AM
Our group tried to sign up for the one at the London Dungeon, but it was already booked out. Pity. Tell us how it went. :)

- Saph

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-02, 08:09 AM
soo is it too late to sign up and if not how do you? cause theres a game shop up the street that is basicly run by some friends of mine and i would think they would be interested.

You mean too late for the store to sign up? Yes, I'm sure it is. If you're wondering if its too late for you to sign up, it depends on the store.

@ Nobodylovesyou: I've explained this to Will, but you wouldn't understand, so in short: no, that's not why.

Overlard
2007-11-02, 09:50 AM
Our group tried to sign up for the one at the London Dungeon, but it was already booked out. Pity. Tell us how it went. :)

- Saph
How late did you leave it? We got 10 tickets on Monday.

Gerrtt
2007-11-02, 09:51 AM
If there's a store running the event near you I would go ahead and stop in if you want to go. At the very least you will be able to check out the adventure, sign up for the RPGA, maybe even get a little free stuff (depending on how cool the people running the store are).

Now, if a store isn't already running the event, it is too late for them to sign up and get the kit. A list of stores running the event can be found here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/gameday-venues)

Saph
2007-11-02, 10:30 AM
How late did you leave it? We got 10 tickets on Monday.

That's odd. Two different groups from our meetup applied two or three weeks ago, and were told it was booked out.

- Saph

The Neoclassic
2007-11-02, 12:08 PM
No stores near me... :smallfrown:

Uin
2007-11-02, 02:10 PM
By accident I found an RPG group in Edinburgh and I'll be going to my first ever game tomorrow. Wheee!

Frosty
2007-11-02, 02:15 PM
I'm celebrating it definitely. The local game store will be hosting a one-shot DnD event both for veterans and to introduce newbies to the game. My friend will be the DM and I plan to go play.

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-02, 02:27 PM
You mean too late for the store to sign up? Yes, I'm sure it is. If you're wondering if its too late for you to sign up, it depends on the store.

@ Nobodylovesyou: I've explained this to Will, but you wouldn't understand, so in short: no, that's not why.

Is it because you cant get a date and the fact that you're a few hundred miles away?

Matthew
2007-11-02, 02:46 PM
I'm going to a Halloween Party in Reigate instead... I'm going with my old Dungeons & Dragons group, though. We did consider applying for tickets to attend the London Dungeon thingy, but decided against it in the end.

MariettaGecko
2007-11-03, 07:42 PM
So I went today, and had a great time. I only wish I had signed up to DM it somewhere or something, but I didn't. Then i'd have a set of minis and the like to bring home with me. Either way, the game was a lot of fun. Perhaps next year I'll arrange to run a game or something.

What did everyone else think of the game?

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-03, 07:44 PM
Me and Nobodylovesyou went... only to find out we were 5 hours late. Kinda screwed up the day.

MariettaGecko
2007-11-03, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I called at one or so, and found out that there was another game at 3, and headed on down. Got there just as the previous game was ending, but I still managed to play the 3 PM game.

AlterForm
2007-11-03, 08:45 PM
Technically, I think I should mark my post for spoilers. You never know...:smallbiggrin:

Well, due to circumstances not under my control, I showed up 2 hours late. I got Gavin. I wasn't too psyched, until upon looting a sarcaphogi I found a +1 returning "minor" frosting (homebrew, 1d3 cold damage) throwing axe (I later found out the DM added frosting for free, since my damage was practically worthless without it).

The Ice Mephit fight was fun...our paladin tried a diving leap for the second one and fell flat on his face. :smallwink:

Bugbears were an uneventful fight.

The final encounter was freaking awesome. After a dramatic bench-top battle with the drow, while being pelted by the nigh-useless archers, and managing a hold person on the duergar for 2 rounds, it culminated with an invisible mage about to jump down the pit. The fighter whipped out a grappling hook, and, at a -6 or so penalty, rolled a natural 20. Guess what happened next. :smalltongue:

Also, what was that map on the back for? Was for if you descended into the Underdark through that one pit?

MariettaGecko
2007-11-03, 08:58 PM
See, in our case, we didn't decide to try to loot the sarcophagus, so we didn't get any of the fun stuff from there. We got all the way down to the last battle, but didn't think to take time to rest before going in there, so, although we took down the drow, we were getting hammered by the archers and the duregar, so we took off and ran away.

Either way, it was still fun.

iop
2007-11-04, 07:49 AM
We had a lot of fun.

Our DM was rolling like crazy (at least 5 confirmed crits). Still, our party was being rather cautious and played well together. We were also a bit lucky: We didn't open the sarcophagus, the mephits all failed their save against sound burst, and hold person made the bugbears much easier. Without the axe, the rogue was slightly hampered. At least he was always able to confirm that there was actually a door (he never rolled more than 7 on a search check).
Although all we managed in the first two rounds in the final fight was one magic missile on the drow, we got them all. When the drow jumped down the hole, the cleric jumped after it with his mace, smashed it to bits and just managed to survive the fall.
Oh, and the girls (Xaph, Tara) took home most of the kills.

Overlard
2007-11-04, 09:01 AM
We didn't stay for long at the London Dungeon thing. I chatted with Dave Noonan for a little while (no major 4th ed information though), watched a few games kick off, and took a look at the full-sized troll (large creatures are bigger than I imagined).

Gerrtt
2007-11-04, 09:18 AM
So, nobody ended up showing up where I was DMing. However, I walked out of the store with about 100 bucks worth of free stuff the stores owner gave me because I volunteered to run it for him...I'll post a list later.

Edit:: List.

Epic Level Handbook
Hero Builder's Guidebook
Oriental Adventures
Sword and Fist
Defenders of the Faith (glad to have these last two for nostalgia)
Lord of the Iron Fortress Module
The Standing Stone Module
Deep Horizon Module
The Sunless Citadel Module
The Speaker in Dreams Module
City of the Spider Queen
Lords of Darkness
Desert of Desolation Miniatures Booster Pack
Gameday 2007 Miniature kit for DM
Gameday 2006 Miniature kit for DM
Promotional Mummy for D&D Minis game (x3)
Promotional Spine Devil for Gameday 2007
1 each of the PC kits for Gameday 2007
6 seven piece dice kits (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d10 10's)

Not a bad haul for just driving out there and committing to running an event.