PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Character sheet for roleplaying (e.g., character development template)

Kafana
2020-09-19, 01:36 AM
I am playing a D&D 5e adventure, though the rule system is not important. I am not looking for a stat-based character sheet like you would find at the end of the PHB, but rather a sort of "character development template".

In 5e, we have the flaws, bonds, etc. but I am looking for something with more meat on it. My goal is to use this sheet to both remind myself about the key RP characteristics of the character (to inspire roleplaying opportunities) and to track changes and additions of these traits as I discover the character and as they evolve throughout the campaign (acting as sort of a record).

Are there any templates for this that can help me document this information (and perhaps show me some aspects of RP that I might not have thought of)? While a simple checklist can do the trick, I would prefer to have important categories highlighted and generally have a good structure for this information.

A good example of what I'm looking for is the Xanathar's Guide sheet (https://www.dropbox.com/s/72hylwhb60ctipi/Xanathar'sGuideBackground.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FXanathar%27sGuideBackground.pdf). Know anything similar?

Composer99
2020-09-19, 09:16 AM
Is there something about the Xanathar's sheet that doesn't meet your needs? Or do you just want to see what else is out there in terms of a similar "personal characteristics" sheet?

Kafana
2020-09-21, 09:02 AM
Is there something about the Xanathar's sheet that doesn't meet your needs? Or do you just want to see what else is out there in terms of a similar "personal characteristics" sheet?

I'm looking for other options for inspiration. While Xanathar's is good for the baseline background, I'm looking for ways to also track stuff like:

Misc quests
NPCs and their relationship to my character
Significant events (e.g., Life events) that happen in the game, and the implications on my characters personality

In the end I'll most likely create my own sheet(s), but wanted to see what else is out there.

JNAProductions
2020-09-21, 09:25 AM
Is there a reason just taking notes wouldn't suffice?

Especially since, given the wide variety of stuff that can happen outside the mechanics, anything pre-organized is likely to be less useful than taking notes and organizing them yourself, after a session.

Regardless, good luck on your quest and your gaming! You seem like you'd be an attentive and thoughtful player, so keep at it!